Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Nick Barone - Nick2730

Hey guys made a new site using weebly, i actually do web design but weebly is just so far/easy to do so i used it. 1 major question i have is im part of a mod project, do you cite this on your resume somewhere? Or just post work like i did on the site? Any feedback is awesome and always appreciated from my work to the web design/layout. Hard at work trying to get my first industry job out of school.

http://nickbarone3d.weebly.com/

Nick

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i do have modding experience listed in my CV, and one time a got a couple of questions about it during interview. so i guess it won't hurt to include it.

your resume page could use more emphasis for better visual clarity. for example make "experience" "objective" etc bigger than rest of text.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, was really bugging me what to do lol
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added some new images
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Im getting a 404 errror, it says "Site Not Published. The site you are looking for has not been published"
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seems to be working now. Thanks for the headsup
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The UV-layouts for the Dawn of the reapers mod is not very good. Lots of wasted UV-space, you could've tiled all that and gained so much texture resolution, now it's less quality and probably takes up more memory than needed for each model. The Airpad looks decent but if you look at texture layouts you use 2x 1024x1024 , and the second UV-maps have lots of wasted space.

I'd say it's good to have modding-experience on your CV, it shows you're interested in game-development as least. It takes a lot of commitment to be in a mod-group creating mods for games. So that's all good I think :)

Right now I'd say that most of the work needs to get another polish pass, the metal/sci-fi surfaces need to have proper specular to look like metal. Right now it's just plain. Right now I'd say the Animus Room is the best one just because of that reason. It's not that obvious that it lacks proper specular.

It's always good to see that you can model, and that you can set up stuff for texturing but to get to a professional level you need to tailor the work to be efficient. You need to show the skills needed to get hired and these things I mentioned is part of that. I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just the goals you have to set for yourself to be able to make it.

Overall I like the website, it's simple and everything you need within a few clicks. :)

Yes it's hard to get into the industry, but in the end it all depends on you. Work hard enough, spend more hours learning and doing and you'll get in the end when the your skills show you're ready. And when you're in theres a whole new technical side of art for games to get into which is only really an issue when dealing with proper game-development. It's exciting and new and you'll learn tons of stuff.

You can always start learning some of it now by poking pro game-devs regarding stuff like optimisation, workflow, pipeline. Etc etc! :)

Oh well hope I helped somewhat, and didn't come off as too rude!
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chris, be as harsh as you can be im not offended in fact i love that kind of feedback its the only way Im ever going to get better and get a job in the idustry.

UV wise i know its my weak spot and i keep working on it. I decided to use the entire asset to UV and not symmetry them i figured i could add other details to diverse them but in the end it was a mistake and i could have had much higher resolution. Im doing alot of ships now and am using symmetry so I only have to texture half since that seems to be the way to go, higher resolution.

Thanks again