Home Technical Talk

Exporting different UV ranges

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
Hey there, I'm trying to export a mesh with a different UV range than default. I figured out how to take a UV snapshot with a unique range (because of the obvious drop menu) but haven't been able to figure out how to export the mesh with a unique range.

Should mention, using Maya 2012 and FBX 2012.

ltURY.png

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Scale it down into the U0.5 V1.0 range, and use the tiling of the material to make it fit.

Or if you are exporting to something where you can't change tiling parameters, do what I mentiond above, but scale the UVs 200% in the U to fil the entire 0-1 range, and once you use a non square texture things will line up.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    Scale it down into the U0.5 V1.0 range, and use the tiling of the material to make it fit.

Or if you are exporting to something where you can't change tiling parameters, do what I mentiond above, but scale the UVs 200% in the U to fil the entire 0-1 range, and once you use a non square texture things will line up.

Not sure I fully understand the suggestion. I follow it up until the "tiling of the material" part. I assume it's clear from the UVs that this is a unique asset and not a tileable surface.

That said, with xNormal allowing rectangular maps and Maya offering the ability to choose what range the snapshot takes, I figure there has GOT to be a way to assign UV ranges to materials... right?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Regardless of whether it is a uniquely mapped item, the map still tiles, which is why the uvs that overlap and are offset to the left still map correctly. To see what I mean by tiling turn on image preview in the uv editor and modify the tiling options in the texture 2d node.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I get what you mean by tiling. So are you saying that if I ever want rectangular maps, the only thing I can do is make a square map and crop it into a rectangular map in photoshop?
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i think so, as far as i know that's just how maya works - it has no special way of interpreting rectangular maps.

probably the easiest way to think of all uvs is as a 'percentage' of the texture map rather than specific explicit pixel values; it'll generally look at the texture map that you load in and say 'hmm, okay so this UV-vertex is at (4%, 2%), the next is at (8%,2%) etc.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Like Funky Bunnies, think of UV coordinates as a percentage, so if you have a material with a 512*1024px map 0.5U will be 256px horizontally, whereas 0.5V with be 512px vertically.

Hopefully this image I made helps explain.
    uvs.png
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the explanations guys. This is making a lot more sense right now
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    You may want to grab UV Deluxe from here :

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/texturing/c/uvdeluxe

It makes doing this kind of scaling and offsetting very simple.