Home General Discussion

Motivates/Motivated

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
I recently had a discussion with a close friend of mine. He was just hired for the first time by someone and I have yet to get in the industry. We were talking about what motivates us and why our determination is unscathed. We had a lot of the same reasons and we both wondered what motivated people to get in....

This isn't about your first beginnings of how many reach arounds you had to give out and how hard you worked. This is about what drove you to do all those things. Everyone started somewhere obviously, but why did you want to make it so bad you could taste it!?! What have you, no holds bar here... the drugs, the lifestyle, the bitches and the ho's or absence thereof, the sheer fun of doing it or just to have the bragging rights.... but why did you want it that bad? I know there's probably been similar threads like this before, so excuse my ignorance.

So I hope this discussion goes between two groups:
  • Those trying to get in the industry: what is your motivation to get in.
  • Those in the industry: what motivated you to get in the industry and what motivates you on a daily basis.
For me... my motivation is a few things. The biggest one is my wife and baby in the oven. We're expecting our first child soon and I want nothing more than to be able to provide for both of them. I want to be able to allow my wife to spend as much time as possible with our son and not have to be nailed down to a 40+ hr/wk job. I'm not saying I am expecting to be paid lots'a benjamins by any means. We live modestly and have no desire to ever live beyond our means or lavishly in any way. I also am motivated by my current job that is in a completely uncreative environment. Mostly I work on logistics and sales with some 3D designs, but there's no creativity at all and it is not something I enjoy (the sales and logistics part of it). It sounds juvenille, but I didn't go to school for four years to end up where I am, and it is not what I originally signed up for, it just evolved into this sorta thing. So even if it was someplace that was not allowed a lot of creative leway, anything remotely creative would benefit me on a daily basis. Knowing I was doing something I enjoyed, which would ultimately help my well being and that of my wife and child. I also have to travel for extended periods at a time where I work now, which is not what I want to do with a kid on the way either. Long hours are one thing, but being away from those you care about who are also your support group can really bring ya down. A job is a job and you have to be there day in and day out. I work with people that are passionate about what they do, and my motivation is to be somewhere where I can be just as passionate about my job because it something I love to do with every ounce of me.

So what motivates/motivated you guys to get where you are or where you want to be?

Replies

• System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Threads like these are always fun regardless~

I think what motivates me most is the challenge as I see no merit in doing something that is easily obtained. I dont really see much worth in working in a standard office job as its a skillset I could learn quickly and thats just dull, I want an area that i can grow exponentially where the skys the limit.

Theres that and working with likeminded people which is a big bonus
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    Theres that and working with likeminded people which is a big bonus

+1 I feel like you crazy gaming peoples are the peoples I belong around. Other jobs/places... eh, the people aren't so great.

Its also that to my core I'm an artist, and there's no way I can be satisfied with life if I ignore that part of me. When I was in grade 7 and 8, I watched my friend draw all the time, and something in me woke up saying "THAT. That's what I gotta do" And I've been lost to art since ;)

Also seeing some cut scenes from video games (PS1 - PS2 gen) I was like. HOLY CRAP. That looks so amazing. So inspiring. I must get in on that shit...
  • HellMark
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    For me I could never have see doing anything else or at least being happy doing something else. I knew by age 8 what I wanted to do. Having a crappy job was a great motivator boost too. :) I ninja installed Unrealed at my work PC (bank PC tech support - UGH!) to learn and do work on my portfolio . I constantly got in trouble but I ran with blinders on and didn't care about consequence to get in.

What I considered typical day jobs bored the hell out of me and was a constant feeling of dread. So I saw no alternative but to drive forward. I was also lucky to email some really great people in the industry picking their brains and them being awesome enough to write back and be blunt and informative. It really sparked the fire.

On a daily basis it's a love for art and games. Plus it's hard to not be motivated by the awesome creations everyone shares on these boards. I see all this great work and want to be better because of it.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i fall under "Those trying to get in the industry'':

What motivates me to do the things i do is knowing that ill be doing something i love doing. sure its fun now but i know it'll be even more fun and enjoyable when im in a work environment where everyone is as in love with games and game art as i am.

currently none of my friends nor my family have any interest in what i do. which sucks because game art is a huge part of my life. being able to go into work everyday and advancing as an artist and meeting like minded individuals is something that motivates me and makes me want to get into the industry very badly!!!
  • Farfarer
    Well, with a degree in maths and another in astrophysics it was that or back to the dole queue on Monday...
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Im in the "Those trying to get in the industry" group too,

Because its fun and the people I will be working with share 2 of my biggest interests, playing games and making game art.

Its mainly about spending more time being happy and less time being bored :)
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I heard that working in games is all about:
    1. playing games all day
    2. free money
    3. sexy massage in the office at the end of the day

Ok, on a serious note...

I`m in the same boat as ae and Yozora trying to get in the industry. Having a job where I can combine my two passions: video games and making art (stuff that look cool/doesn`t suck ass) would be a dream come true for me. It definitely beats working at kfc :)
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not in yet either. What motivates me is the possibility of doing something I love to make a living.

vik's list sounds good too though ;)
  • Rens
    self improvement

becoming part of a group that works together to create epicness

there are so many things that drive me..
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    any motivation I ever had to make games died when I got my first game job:(

talk about a spare prick in a brothel
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Things that motivate a young man looking to make it in the industry

1. Family: Love 'em. Would not be the man I am today without these people.

2. Friends: Same boat as family. Always pushing me to make something of myself someday.

3. Games: Video games of course!!!! The sweetest thing since sliced bread. Board games, drinking games, and sports are all fun as well.

4. Music: Just imagine your life right now without music. Gets me in the mood to do things.

5. Life: Just being alive man. I love doing what I do. I'm going to some day land a job in the industry and I'm going to love that.

When I was younger I was good at two things. Art and sports. One day I realized going pro in sports was not going to happen. Since that day I've devoted my life to making art in any way shape or form. Love it. Just having the opportunity to do something different, something that people will remember and say "That's so and so's work". That maybe my work will someday inspire some young kid to want to pick up a pencil and draw. Or hit the computers and study to make the wonderful games they have grown to love.

• lorddon
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz wrote: »
    any motivation I ever had to make games died when I got my first game job:(

talk about a spare prick in a brothel

This... and the insane fucking hours you have to work. Working in games isn't a job you want if you plan on having a family. Once I realized that I stopped seeking a job in the industry. (especially after my animator buddy with 4 years school got a job for 35k a year, barely more than I was making with no college)

I want to do my own thing in my spare time and if I start picking up a following, all the better. I've got an ok day job that I don't loathe and I'll continue to work on my art in my free time.

My ultimate motivation is bare existentialism. I don't want to die and leave no trace of me, my thoughts, or my ideas behind. I need some piece of me to live beyond my short time on this planet, even better if it's something that touches people.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    still on my first job in the biz and it isn't all candy & unicorns but there's two factors that keep me motivated:

1. management lets us know they appreciate our hard work.
    2. I really enjoy & believe in our product
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lorddon - I see where you are coming from in that regard, i am somewhere in the middle of that

Part of me enjoys the team environment, the other part wants to do my own more personal

kind of arty stuff.

If you work on your own stuff for a long time though, you tend to lose focus.

Being under pressure makes you concentrate your efforts

I find most of my personal work gets only 3/4 done.

re work, I was just never that good at kissing asss:)
  • Eric Chadwick
    1. management lets us know they appreciate our hard work.
    2. I really enjoy & believe in our product

Same here. Been in the game dev industry for 16 yrs as an artist. Add a #3 to the list... working with people who share the same passion.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    lorddon wrote: »
    This... and the insane fucking hours you have to work. Working in games isn't a job you want if you plan on having a family. Once I realized that I stopped seeking a job in the industry. (especially after my animator buddy with 4 years school got a job for 35k a year, barely more than I was making with no college)

Just to give you the Flip side of your Statement, I have a family, a large one by today's standards. 3 kids (1 on the way!) I have been able to support them very well.
    Also, I noticed you are in SLC Utah. I got my start in the industry over there, and if you want to get a good paying job in the industry, GET OUT OF UTAH.

I would have to say the thing that motivates me, after all the cool characters are made, and the novelty of working on a video game has faded;
    Is the satisfaction of a job well done.
    I know that sounds Cheezy, but I am proud of the fact Im good at what I do, and gain satisfaction that others recoginze it too.
    Then I leverage that to put food on the table, and that makes everybody happy. Combine that with a mild streak of Competitiveness. :)