Home Technical Talk

Analyze this: Starcraft 2 zergling

I found this picture of a zergling model online.
zergling.jpg
what kind of maps are on this thing and estimates on polycount?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like spec and normal maps to me, or they're really taking their chances painting highlights, which wouldn't surprise me. As for poly count, that's really hard to say (games count tris not polys, polys can be any number of tris), but if I had to guess how many jelly beans in the jar, I'd say 1500-2000.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooh interesting. To me that is a surprisingly hi amount of tris for an RTS unit. or maybe im just behind the times!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Proxzee wrote: »
    ooh interesting. To me that is a surprisingly hi amount of tris for an RTS unit. or maybe im just behind the times!

o_O we had bigger polycounts on paraworld almost 2 years ago, it's all a matter of the lod system i guess, reducing the verts and the skinned verts by distance brings a lot of performance, it's the smallest unit tho, so i guess it will be heavily lodded
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    hey nice find!

I ll take a guess and say its about 1000-1300 triangles with a 256 diffuse and a 512 normal map. This unit is reusing alot of the same crack patterns for the skin so it could be also be a 256 normal map if the engine support multi UV channels, but then again 256x256 is very, very small.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    my guess is everything stacked with 1024 production and final res 512, also, around 1200-1600 tris. I´m sure he didnt use mudbox or zbrush for this one, maybe he got a low and made some adjustments at the the corners to make nmap better. Maps ofcourse handpainted and used crazybump or nvidia filter later. also, there is spec map too
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    wizo wrote: »
    hey nice find!

I ll take a guess and say its about 1000-1300 triangles with a 256 diffuse and a 512 normal map. This unit is reusing alot of the same crack patterns for the skin so it could be also be a 256 normal map if the engine support multi UV channels, but then again 256x256 is very, very small.

what he said
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a lot of stuff packed into this tiny guy.

So this guy has normal, diffuse, bump, and spec huh?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably. More then likely the maps are lod'ed also.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prox: normal, spec and diffuse, yes. Or maybe not even a spec-map, given how shiny everything is. The recessed bits (cracks etc..) are just as shiny as everything else, by the looks of it, so if it does have a specmap, it's not doing a lot. And who knows, that might actually look quite alright from up high, so it could be fine for an rts