Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Mongrelman - Untitled

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
First time ever doing silhouettes, so it's been interesting. Here are a few I did today, will do more shortly.

silhouettes1lv6.jpg

Replies

• naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Nothing is really jumping out at me, but a good effort. I'll look forward to the next sheet of thumbs. Welcome to the fight.
  • boomz
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    #3 is worth pursuing some more. Give it a more epic silhouette, perhaps some kindof frayed spiked backpiece (almost like #6) but with finer lines. Agreed with naruSol though, I'd definitely like to see more.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Knocked out some more just now, hoping to get inspired soon smile.gif

silhouettes2bl2.jpg
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I personally like 17.
  • Leto
    hey i like your lasso tool sketches. i've done that for idle fun, but here i see you're using it to feel out different shapes very quickly. maybe i'll try that..
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    And more thumbnails:

silhouettes3uo4.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Did another inspired by 18 and a wee paintover. The idea is a lich thing reaching into a brute thing and controlling him.

silhouettes4hj1.jpg
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    ooooooooo 19. Giant head dragonwolf.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I mixed some previous silhouettes together and think I might have got something here.

silhouettes5un7.jpg

It's an angel that has attached itself to some sort of three headed (evil) giant and controls him. As part of the punishment the angel is inflicting, one head will be blinded, another deafened and the middle one silenced, probably by having the artifact wedged in his mouth, holding it open.

This should also give a nice variation of flesh, cloth, metal and hair/feathers.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mixed in one of the earlier thumbnails too as I wanted a more elegant form and wanted to make him a magic caster instead of a warlord. Noticed Mansir's awesome 3 headed troll too and didn't want to be too similar.

silhouettes6jd1.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Changing the cloth to a tatterred hood so more of his flesh is visible.

silhouettes7ds4.jpg
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Ey mongrelman, I dig the idea of this concept. Since you asked in the gauss thread for some help, here's my take on it. Remember it's a an idea, don't copy this if you like it.

mongrelmanrk7.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, thanks man I love it! I started heading down the sea life route soon after posting my last picture but seen this has me leaning back towards the original idea some.

Love the proportions and fewer, but thicker tentacles. I'm still going sea life route, at the moment mixing rough painting with some photoslapping to quickly test ideas.

Rough story idea: at the bottom of the ocean the massive pressure and pitch black formed an artifact (darkness/void) which pulled in various creatures, causing this mixed up beastie. It came to land and started laying the smackdown then got punished by the angel.

Not sure if I want to have the angel on it or not yet, maybe just have the damage on the heads. If it is on, was thinking futuristic looking armour and glowing feathers in the wings.

At the moment, the idea is the back is the carapace from a horseshoe crab, the heads will be mixed from eels and fish (current WIP is the same head for all three), arms....still undecided, currently got a crab claw in there and a human one.

The cowl idea will be seaweed/kelp hanging down in strands from the carapace, around and partially over the faces, also hanging off some other areas too probably. Also aiming to have barnacles/muscles/sea anenomies etc. dotted around. Maybe some holes in the carpace and have smaller sea creatures peaking out.

Was also thinking of having lure from an angler fish hanging from the front of the carapce with the artifact at the end of the lure.

Quick and crappy slap-job, but should give a rough idea.

conceptc1ed3.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Started concepting some heads, small differences between these four. Once I've decided which of these to progress with I'll start concepting the other two heads.

heads2qq9.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I think this is the final form it will be, I'll start modeling and work out details from there I reckon.

Pretty much same character story as before, but the angle is actually dead now and it's ghost is what remains (so translucent and glowing), it's missing it's right arm as the beastie assimilated it into itself when it killed the angel. Will work on making it 'corrupted' by making fingers webbed, and adding sea stuff to it.

The artifact is the darkness/void thing at the end of the lure.

conceptd12ye0.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Started sculpting the sea beastie but wasn't inspired, so went a different route with the angel as the focus and cerberus at the instead of the sea beastie.

Angel is turning doggy good, doggy is turning angel bad, hence the difference in wings, legs and arms.

conceptangelcerb5kb6.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the basemesh for the dog, more werewolf shape.

wolfbasepy7.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing some sculpting on the cerberus part. The proportions and position will change some later on, and obviously not started on the side heads yet. Currently putting in the muscles, then will flesh him out more so he doesn't look like a skinless wonder.

zgrabwolf2im6.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Felt it wasn't very inspired, so started from scratch (again :/) on friday evening. Here's where I am now. Not really touched the hands and feet yet.

body2iu2.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I reckon much more sense of weight, balance and emotion in this new one, go for it
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Ged smile.gif

Progress:

body3ll6.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't a big fan of the squidy concept you had earlier on, but this seems to be going a little smoother.
    I really like the sinewy look you've given this guy, much better than the first attempt. What else do you have planned for him in terms of clothing/armour, or is it going to remain bare?

-caseyjones
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Casey.

I've added the robe for the angel (modelled it straight for baking purposes, will have it flow around on the low poly), and the claws. I'm thinking of having chains shackled to his limbs trailing behind him, being pulled by shades (think something like the shadow demon things in Ghost) pulling them, like they're trying to pull him back to hell. Though a flat colour black material for them would work, so they are always silhouette, and would also mean virtually no texture space required (and not many polies either).

body4qc3.jpg

Also started on the artifact today. It's satan's head, which I'm planning on having from the center mouth via a chain that connects to the horns. The power this has is the gaze which burns things (and good for lighting barbeques). I think with green colouration of the face it might make the head look a bit like greentooth.

head1jo9.jpg
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    sweet man! i hope you make satan look a bit more evil tho he's looking quite neutral
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Rooster. I've made him look a bit angrier, and given him some teeth which help. I don't want him to look too mad though as the head is supposed to be dead(ish).

Maya crashed everytime I tried to bring a high poly model in to render a normal map, so I did a very quick test with xnormal. I think I'll break the high poly into lots of pieces (more than originally intended) and pray it works.

Here's a maya screengrab of the part I baked, normal map only.

mgrab1na2.jpg
    mgrab1wnc4.jpg
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    I love the concept!
    The only part I don't like too much is the tail... perhaps a bit larger would be better :p
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers :)

Been using Xnormal to bake all the stuff, was turning out ok with just the default ray distances so went with it. The back of the chain as it comes off his leg hasn't been baking properly, so I need to fix that (already tried a bit with no luck).

Dog's don't tend to have long tails (especially dobermans) so I didn't want to make it too big, also didn't want it interefering with the shades behind.

Here's more of the model with basic colours slapped on. I'm planning on having some larger feathers sticking out of the wings and using some polys with an alpha gradient on the shades to give them a soft/ghostly outline. Still not quite decided yet on how the mouth is carrying the head, I'd prefer somethign different to the chains binding him, so I've left some polys free to use on that.

Maya screengrab (with no alpha)

mgrab2tj2.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, another maya viewport grab. Obviously no alpha on it yet and some parts haven't been textured beyond a basic colour slapped on. I moved satan's head into the right hand, which stops it hiding much of the torso and gives him a more savage look I think (will be more savage when the hand is posed). Probably also going to shrink the robe trails, and continue texturing of course.

mgrab3qb4.jpg
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the concept!
    Btw... how are you going to texture the shades? Particles with blended transparency?
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers :) That would be good, but I'm afraid I don't know how. I'm just planning on some alpha planes going through them to fuzz up the silhouette.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I've submitted. Didn't get as much done on it as I wanted to and the final presentation images were extremely rushed, didn't really know how to use unrealed and I only got the pose done about two hours ago, and had to get all the images done (and rendering etc.) in about one hour. Really wanted to do more with this, but alas, such is life.

But I'm fairly pleased with what I managed in two weeks.

victorywv3.jpg

beautygm6.jpg

constructionqj5.jpg

textureswl1.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations! It's a very lively piece with all the things going on :) .