Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dale Keown's Pitt

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
Its been a long time since I posted around here but I still lurk. Decided to pimp a comic book character translated to 3d I been working on. Here he is. Its a comic book character from the 90's called Pitt. Been bouncing back and forth between zbush and mudbutt because I love the way sculpting "feels" in mudbox better that zed. Here he is so far, but he is still in progress.

wip12.jpg

wip02.gif

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    awesome pose.. so many people have absolutly no idea how to do that.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet. Pitt rocks wish the series would have continued on. Great start!
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome! just some hair leather jacket and random saliva away from perfection. Great work.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome silva_spoon! I still have the first 11 copys of this comic. I lost interest though. I was more into the art than the story.
    Looking forward to hair, pony-tail or locks?
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    beautiful piece
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Damn... that is sick!! real nice. Is the feet supposed to be that small tho? I think I remember it being bigger.. keep up the good work.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    hmm, great sculpt, but a little ways away from the original comic character. Not sure how much it evolved before the series ended, but he was a little more beast-like and exaggerated in a few areas. Sweet so far though!

pittbigimagenv1.jpg
  • smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smurfbizkit polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! Only crit is that in comparing him to the above reference, ya its a bit off...the main thing I notice is the feet, the ones on your model seem a bit too slim...and don't look as if they have as much weight on them as they should.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think that horrible sculpt is not the best thing to be posting for character ref, the anatomy on that thing is atrocious.
    i do agree that the feet need to be bigger to match the large hand size, but they also look very unfinished compaired to the rest of the sculpt, i usually reserve comment until something looks done. i would also check the size of the vastus medialis compaired to the vastus lateralis. the vastus medialis looks a bit large, but i think you can pull it off at that size by enlarging the vastus lateralis

Huge_legs_muscles_1.jpg
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats what Im talkin about... SOME CRITS! So many forums lack them these days. Now I remember why I started coming around here in the first place. smile.gif Anyway, I definitely appreciate the feedback. The feet and legs are the most neglected part of this sculpt so far. I will be addressing these areas soon. Thanks for the crit on the vastis medialis arsh, I didnt notice until you pointed that out.

I dont have my comics here at the house (I took them to work) but when I go back there I'll grab them and post some shots that do him more justice than that sculpt above. I swear if Dale commisioned that shit I should see if he would like me to have this bitch prototyped. I think it does the comic more justice than that toy. Here some images I could find on the web of him for those of you who arent familiar.

PittLith.jpgPitt1lith.jpgbigface800.jpg
    pitt1.jpgdarknesspitt.jpgpittdarkness2.jpg6.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    In most of your refs, the eyes and the eyebrows are all rotated down more than you have in your model. Your eye shape is also much less angular.

And you've gotta model some awesome saliva.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, another thing I didnt notice. I'll give them some attention before the next update. Thanks.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that's some very natural flesh, man.
    awesome model, keep it up.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Torso revisions. Eye tweaks and more. wip13.jpg

wip14.jpg

wip15.jpgwip16.jpgwip17.jpg
  • Defeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better. keeping an eye on this one.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Bryan the only crit I have with the character you made vs the real Pitt is his nails. Your version even though you did improve it, Pitts looks like he will break a nail. The real Pitt nails don't attach to his finger like a human one does, they come from inside his finger similar to how a cats claw retract into it's paw, the big difference is Pitts nails are almost as thick as his finger tip and they are tube like and not thin like a cats claw. Also they don't retract like a cat claw does but they grow out, or that's the impression I got when I bought the series.

Looks real good though.

Alex
  • Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blue polycounter lvl 18
    He's fun, I really like the exaggerated backward thrust of the chest and the curve of his fingers. You might add to the over the top pose by thickening up his neck and thrusting his head forward more.

Do we get to see some polygonal saliva threads in the final render?

pitt21024fe9.th.jpg
    I agree with others about his claws- in the current version they connect to the top of the fingertips like human fingernails. In the comics they attach more like claws- on the top and the sides, if that makes sense.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Something about the new eyes bug me. The first set you had seem to work better with making him look manic/pissed off, where I think the new eyes you have almost make it look like hes going 'Ouch, just stepped on a f**cking tack.' I dunno, it just maybe looks a little more like anguish than being crazy/mad/superawesome. Just my opinion though.
  • EvilEngine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilEngine polycounter lvl 18
    Pitt's my favorite comic character. I have that action figure too and wanted to make a model of it also, so it's nice to see someone is doing that now. Would make a fine addition to the Unreal Tourney series!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Awesome!
    The hands looking too normal to me, they fingers need to be bigger and the fingernails look like they get very easily broken.
    Did you forgotten the holes in the trousers? smile.gif
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great crits. I think your right about the face Smirnoffka. I made some major revisions on the face. Big mouth changes to try and make it more like the comicbook. And you guys are absolutley right about the nails that should be claws. I will have to change them.

wip04.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Great update man looks like the comic book Pitt a lot more.

Alex
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing that really sticks out to me is the pudginess of his face, it almost looks like hes overweight and it added baby fat around his mouth and side of face. Id suggest trying to make the side of his face and jaws more angular.

Again, fantastic model, i used to love the comic.

-Buddikaman-
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    I remember this comic...I can not help but think that I would be just as pist off if I did not have a nose. lol...imagine being stuffy all the time.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    we need a pose of him brushing his pearly whites!
    i always thought pitt was such a sparkling example of good hygiene, what's his trick? maybe he cleans them with extra muscle fiber he has lying around, hmm?
    in case you opt for poses where his mouth is open, i'd suggest making the corners of his mouth taut. very nice work thus far, teh Silva_Spoon. smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    One thing I think this is missing is how harsh a lot of the tendons, veins and other details are done in the comic. His neck is a really good example of how in the comic it looks like layers of just thick veins crossing over each other intertwined w/ muscle and tendon. His chest also has the appearance of really tight muscles that have sharp creases in them. I think it would help to bring these details into the model you have.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Good point Tinman, I sort of overlooked that since Spoons sculpt looks soo good. wink.gif If you do it though don't look at the figurine but the actual art by Dale Keown. I don't think the figurine posted looks as good. Also right now your Pitts head is to round make it more angular on the sides and I think you need to my the eyebrow a lot stronger like in the comic book. nice work man.

Alex
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the support and crits. I gave him some claws instead of nails. More chains. Still slacking on the pants and feet. Your right Jordan I am going to have to get around to that crazy neck sooner or later. Its really hard to wrap your head around in 3d though so Im kinda scarred of that part :P

wip20.jpgwip21.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man, everything going well, muscles, cloth, chains, but I would like you to take your feet into consideration, seems that he has a woman feet. take a good look into it. But its an amazing job
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Something that'll help I think is using the clay tool in zbrush instead of the standard one to do the overlaying lines and tendons. It's better for that kind of stuff because it brings all the surfaces to the same layer before raising the highest one, so when you're trying to criss cross lines they'll actually overlap instead of the last one you draw just pushing the first one up more.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. This time back revisions
    wip22.jpg
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update. Hand, pants, feet, revisions. None of them final :P

wip06.gif
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great! the feet looks better and I know your not finished with it, but I think it could still be exagerrated a bit more with thicker and bulkier toes and joints to look more menacing. Those claws look nice! Maybe even a bit thicker and longer? Keep it up!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    looks amazing. I'd love to see someone rig it and rig the muscles to morph properly as the joints move. It would be soooo cool. Find some up and coming rigger who wants to do it for their portfolio!
  • Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blue polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good, I'm digging the revised fingernails. If I may ask, what approach did you use when modeling the chains?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks badass.
    in my opinion chain could be thicker, looks very thin right now.
    I know i know, that's pain in ass to fix that.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! My only issue is with the pose (I know you probably can’t change that at this point). I've always pictured Pitt slumping and aggressive. Pelvis thrust just seems too feminine for him to me.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AHAHAHA so true about the pose. but anyway, Fucking nice piece of sculpting dude, Love how u jump from muddie to zzz

WIN!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Hey some of your best work yet. I love it! I would love a tutorial on the chains...I'd also be pleased with a short explanation smile.gif

The feet do look a bit pretty. High arches and long toes. Could probably benefit from some smashing up...veins and nasty toe nails etc.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Lookin great....can't wait to see some hair!
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    You're definately getting a lot closer to the original character. As mentioned, the feet are the only thing still shouting at me as "off". I think if they're just bulked up, with much less arch, you'd be pretty close. Also, the left thumb is looking a bit malnourished. Sweet work, looking forward to seeing more.