Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lil' dude

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
been working on a game idea I had, little side on 3d platformer and I decided to go ahead make some models.
been working on this guy a bit over the weekend, based on the first guy of this lot:
humans.jpg

heres the progress:
mainguy.jpg

I'm actually thinking about roughing it up a bit, feels like its getting a bit too fiddly and smooth/airbrushy, and I wanted things to feel a bit grittier.
I have the next 2 modelled, Ill post them when I work on em a bit more

Anyway its still WIP of course, CnC welcome smile.gif

Replies

• MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    wow! great concept and model so far man! heres me hoping that this will turn out metal slug'ish smile.gif

Would love to help out!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe thanks man but its nowhere near the stage of needing more folk unfortunately. I got a programmer interested but apart from some initial enthusiasm he has been rather slow on the uptake... I'm hoping some art progress will spur him on.

trying to grit things up a bit:
    mainguy2.jpg
    some of the folds are a bit meh, and the boots need a shakeup.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, that character is so frickin' sweet. I love the eyes especially, and his guns are awesome.

The folds on the jacket are looking a lot like swirly fire rather than leather. Maybe you're trying to push the 'flowing cloth' idea too hard. Try backing way down the minimal folds like in the initial concept.

The style of this guy is great. It has a very awesome "Rocketeer meets MetalSlug" feel.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    what engine are you using? or is it totally custom?

Either way this guy is looking good, aside from the already mentioned crits. My only other thought is you might want to try throwing some more color into the shadows(warm) or highlights(cool) especially on the leather bits. Could help it pop.

Maybe some of These for the boots.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think having the facial shadows being more blue would look nice.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    cool little dude.

how are you going to handle facial expressions with eyes and mouth on the texture?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    slum: good call on the folds, I've been fighting with them a bit and it's probably unneccecarry. cheers!

vailias and aesir; I'll try your suggestions when I get home, sounds good

sectaurs: the ideas a sidescrolling platformer, so he'd be busy running jumping and shooting, I wasn't aiming to do much in the way of facial animation. I know metal slug has the guys face animating, but I quite liked the idea of a little dude blasting his way through bad guys with a permanant cheeky grin
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    not really a big fan of the swirls on the jacket but the rest is nice.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    awesome job,, my only thoughts are i think it may look cooler to have more defined edge lines on the face, kinda how they did in the incredibles almost like a molded plastic toy
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ok worked on this a bit more, tried to fix the bastard folds. I mirrored the model in photoshop and the smile looked a bit goofy, I dunno. Trying out this one to see if it grows on me.
    mainguy3.jpg
    boots are next up
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I really dig stylized stuff. Looking great rooster.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cheers man, heres a little more. Think I might put some kind of logo printed on the back of the jacket. His arse is a bit strange at the mo..
    mainguy4.jpg
    reet off to bed
  • Teddy
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aalmost done. I spent way to friggin long on him already considering how much else there is to do, but I guess youll see the main char model more than any other. I'll probably go back and tweak stuff as things move on too.
    mainguy5.jpg
    I wanted to do an elaborate thing on his back but I forgot I mirrored it! D'oh
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Looks so cool! GL!
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Right now the pants look slightly odd and I think it's because of the pockets. The back ones should be more centered to the leg.
    As for the front pockets, try bringing the top of the pocket to the bottom of the belt and maybe even moving them more toward the outside of the leg.

(hope you don't mind...)
    -paintover-

Ace model so far. Can't wait to see more.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    That totally rocks my pants.
    Love the style so damn much. Only two issues are: 1. fly on the pants. 2. back pockets. I know it looks funny cause its mirrored, but it would be nicer if it didn't. Oh and the back pockets being so close makes it look like his ass is soooooo small. tongue.gif
    Other than that, which is almost irrelevant, i'd say its one damn nice piece.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    spot on crits guys, I did just add those pockets in as an afterthought.. didn't think it through properly. cheers!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    awesome rooster, looking forward to seeing him carry one of those badass guns!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    rooster, you can make any pockets you want, the function and placement are irrelevant. what they need is to be part of the form of the pants.

mainguy5.jpg
    i figuered id try and paint on it.. and then dragged to other stuff so the other things are:

try placing some remarkable (noticeable) marks around the highlights for details, that's where it pops out the most. might not be your thing though

pants - volume. u know how to do it it just looks like u lacked the confidence (same as pockets, it wouldn't be an after thought if u thought u knew what u were doing). dont doodle - put it there or dont put it at all. uve got folds on the pants but they're all half way there. look at the jacket and look at the pants - where did your volume go?
    the pocket itself i think i painted bad (it's not puffy enough) but i hope u get my point

buckle highlight competes with the eyes.. toned it down, and then darkened knee plates to match helmet (+scratch marks)

general folds - the idea is pressure, tightness, etc. if u'r putting a belt around his jacket that holds the puffiness tight againts his body - and considering the geomatry - u've gotta get more volume in there with all that puffiness still showing.

tatoos and overlay designs like that often make things flat, and u too u forgot to render it according to the jacket rendering. it's all too 'white'. i'd even darken the bottom half more

i really like the whole thing, uve got a cool style. keep it up

ps - forgot to paint the back pockets sorry
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    sheeit ! looks like a modern version of pip boy from fallout ! i like it ! and i agree 100% with shotgun.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    man i love it, nice warm textures
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yep shotgun, great crit- I'll address the stuff you mention when I get home, and thanks for taking the time to point that stuff out. Aye maybe it is part confience, but also I like to just slap something down roughly where I want it then work it towards where I want to end up- as my old music teacher used to say about composition 'you can't edit nothing!'
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ok I had a crack at your suggestions shotgun, and I definately think its an improvement, so thanks again smile.gif. I only dissagree on the skull fading that much, because I want it to be clearly visible- its more a character design choice than trying to get realistic lighting but I hear what you're saying.
    mainguy6.jpg

-EDIT-
    heres the start on the next guy, basic colours mixed with bits of the concept to begin with. Obviously its very wip smile.gif
    grunt1.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome character, the textures are really cool. Id probably move the back pockets further from each other, but might be the look you want. Very nice! smile.gif.