Home General Discussion

Next-Gen Raindow Six

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Starting to look pretty good to me. Characters look a bit like plastic to me, so hopefully that's resolved by the time it comes out.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=32430

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OH NOES! Someone found the Bloom button!

It does look nice so far though, and I enjoyed Rainbow Six the original, so if they keep it all nice and quality and fun it should be an excellent game smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    <Disappointed> frown.gif It already sounds like the perfect 'marketing' game, and trivilizes the idea of what rainbow6 was meant to be IMO.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i still pray every night that a game that uses all next generation technology is fun, and since i love rrainbow six im really hoping that the gameplay is as good as eye candy.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    If it is anything close to what R6:Lockdown was to the R6 franchise, then I'm not getting it.

That game STINKED!

Well ok, it looked sharp and neat, but they could just as well have called it "Tactical Shooter Ops:Lockdown". It's that much un-Rainbow'ish. frown.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    real guns are more fun! buy one today!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, graphics were never a strong point with the franchise, so in that respect this seems to be an improvement.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Personally, I think those screens look pretty great. If the game looks that good, I may at least rent it.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    it's really a shame that rainbox six is turning into a generic action shooter .. i really miss rogue spear days.. it really felt special and uncompromised.. it really seems like this niche market is dying out and rainbow six is falling into the soup of substanceless shooters just like ghost recon is ..

i think operation flashpoint is the only one that's left out there
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how "next gen" = Bloom...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Xbox 720 preview!!!
    720.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, yeah it's true a lot of "next-gen" games are really abusing the Bloom effect, but you've gotta admit that when used with restraint and in the right setting, it can really add a lot to the visual appeal of a game.

rooster: THAT GAME LOOKS SO AWESOME I WANT IT NOW laugh.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i see no screenshots from that link frown.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    could be worse
    rb6.jpg
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Wow that looks pretty cool; I didn't read the complete info but is that the unreal engine?
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hehe, yeah it's true a lot of "next-gen" games are really abusing the Bloom effect, but you've gotta admit that when used with restraint and in the right setting, it can really add a lot to the visual appeal of a game.

[/ QUOTE ]
    True, bloom does a lot of good for a game such as GuildWars. But it's pretty sleazy to just call a game "next-gen" because it HAS Bloom.

LOL @ ElysiumGX and Rooster. I have no doubt that if most companies keep their current look on bloom as it is, then that's what we'll be getting in the future... laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    real guns are more fun! buy one today!

[/ QUOTE ]
    My hardball M4A1 aeg from ICS does a fine job at that! cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    it's really a shame that rainbox six is turning into a generic action shooter .. i really miss rogue spear days.. it really felt special and uncompromised.. it really seems like this niche market is dying out and rainbow six is falling into the soup of substanceless shooters just like ghost recon is ..

[/ QUOTE ]I think you forgot Raven Shield - although very superior in graphics, and a bit different in handling, it still has the imho awesome Rainbow 'touch'.

Gotta wonder what will ever become of Operation Flashpoint 2... confused.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta wonder what will ever become of Operation Flashpoint 2...

A cinematic run&gun shooter with very little relation to real life?
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    as far as i know there will be Armed assault due out sometime this year .. which will be a visual makeover combines with some improvements additions and some new campaign material ..

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/armans3.jpg

Operation Flashpoint sequel will be a complete next generation title ... from the looks of it ofp will remain a combat simulator for the hardcore ..

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/138/914623_20050519_screen019.jpg

i think the visuals are acceptable but not great .. although ofp had more substance than visuals...

ono guerilla marketing !
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Makes me nostalgic of back when Rainbow Six first came out, when the "tactical shooter" sub-genre wasn't so tainted.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    how DARE they try and compensate for ballooning budgets by appealing to a wider audience?!

FPS games are pretty niche for the most part, in the overall scheme of the industry; tactical shooters (as much as i enjoy them!) are even more so. so unless you want the Rainbow Six games to stay as painfully ugly as the first game was, this is just the way it's going to be.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    the first game wasn't just ugly

it was fun

the game didn't attract much gfx losers mainly because they didn't have oversaturated, multitextured colored lighting or a crapload of coronas (though there are a few small corona sprites in the game)

plus, don't forget about that mod that adds literally hundreds of weaponry
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    you're missing the point entirely. this has nothing to do with people who love fun games vs. "gfx losers". R6 is a venerable series and i really wish that it could stay the kind of niche title it started out as, with all the planning stuff that people are understandably upset is missing from Lockdown.
    but it's abundantly that they're set on getting better numbers for the series, and they can't do that without getting players outside of the niche audience that hardcore tactical games attract. that's just the way it is, since it doesn't look like they're interested in the kind of business model that works for such niche titles: catering to a small audience exclusively, but with a proportionally smaller budget. plenty of sims and wargames survive this way, but they're always a more modest proposition. you can't make a triple-A quality title these days for a limited audience, it's like shoveling money into the fire. sure, the few thousands that play those certain games are overjoyed, but the potentially millions of other players who don't care means that series (or that company) just stops existing.

just look at the unit numbers for FPS games sold compared to most other games, or PC games relative to console titles. no, they don't have to go this visual overload normal mapped everything graphics extravaganza route, but if they do then they've also got to make the game appealing to a broader audience.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Yessh

http://www.worthplaying.com/press/207/RainbowSix_Vegas_12.jpg

Why would they release this pic? That pillar, the photo-sourced textures on the bar. ouch.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i think that may be a concept, there were som concepts in the released shots.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sett, it's a production concept... not every company bothers with doing "promo" concept art that is hardly what is used by the developers, all the quick and dirty stuff is mostly the real concept work, the polished things are just to show the public.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you're missing the point entirely. this has nothing to do with people who love fun games vs. "gfx losers". R6 is a venerable series and i really wish that it could stay the kind of niche title it started out as, with all the planning stuff that people are understandably upset is missing from Lockdown.
    but it's abundantly that they're set on getting better numbers for the series, and they can't do that without getting players outside of the niche audience that hardcore tactical games attract. that's just the way it is, since it doesn't look like they're interested in the kind of business model that works for such niche titles: catering to a small audience exclusively, but with a proportionally smaller budget. plenty of sims and wargames survive this way, but they're always a more modest proposition. you can't make a triple-A quality title these days for a limited audience, it's like shoveling money into the fire. sure, the few thousands that play those certain games are overjoyed, but the potentially millions of other players who don't care means that series (or that company) just stops existing.

just look at the unit numbers for FPS games sold compared to most other games, or PC games relative to console titles. no, they don't have to go this visual overload normal mapped everything graphics extravaganza route, but if they do then they've also got to make the game appealing to a broader audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

gauss i agree with your entirely .. after all this is a business like any other where on the top of the foodchain there is a person who merely cares about profits...

unfortunately i think that causes dilution and decay of many good genres that we all can appreciate...

i am optimistic though, that the general public will demand more depth from game design as the time goes on.. or am i stretching it too far ?

i really want redstorm to come back to what they did best though frown.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The thing to mourn is the loss of variety. R6 was a unique series but they're trying to turn it into Counterstrike. That would mean one less unique game and one more generic cs clone.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The thing to mourn is the loss of variety. R6 was a unique series but they're trying to turn it into Counterstrike. That would mean one less unique game and one more generic cs clone.

[/ QUOTE ]A change truly seen in R6:Lockdown. frown.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Will the guy I equipped with a shotgun to clear hallways still try to snipe guys with said shotgun at a hundred paces?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    on second thought, this game with a vegas setting is going to pressure dnf to release, as that also has a dominant vegas setting as well
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Will the guy I equipped with a shotgun to clear hallways still try to snipe guys with said shotgun at a hundred paces?

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, he will. That's about the only Rainbow'ish thing they didn't bludgeon with the ugly tree...