Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Temple and Chair and Table Set

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
We had to model a table/chair set and a temple for my 3d modeling class. No polycount specification or anything, just model. So I just kind of went with it, both are way more polygons than they should be, but I doubt they'll ever have any use, so oh well. They got the marks I needed. smile.gif

Anyways, I'd still love any critiques on the models or designs. Everything has Roman influences.

I'd like to post the wireframes... but erm... I forget how to take a render with wireframes in maya, can anyone help?

shot12pn.jpg
shot23gk.jpg
shot35gs.jpg
table0ob.jpg
topshot7vl.jpg

Thanks. smile.gif Now that I actually have some classes like this hopefully I can visit these boards once in a while. (I doubt anyone would remember, but I've been on and off these boards for a few years now. Mostly just lurking though).

Thanks again!

-Mitch

Replies

• Shady-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shady-D polycounter lvl 17
    wow thats pretty nice, the table and chairs remind me of a greek/roman style.
    btw for wireframes you can just post viewport grabs :-p
    i dont have maya so i wouldnt know
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man.

and yea... haha, good point, suppose that'd work. Hopefully there is a way to render with the engine.

On a side note I am currently wishing maya were a person so I could strangle it.

I saved my file, restarted my computer, reopened the file, and almost all of my geometry has friggen disappeared. I have earlier saves...b ut will lose like 5 hours of work. Projects due Tuesday....

ARGH!!!!

/rant off
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Check the Hypergraph or Outliner to see if your objects are still there. Sometimes re-assigning a shader to an object that appears to have gone fixes the problem. Also try a quick planar projection to make sure the objects have UVs. Weird, I know, but it sometimes works.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    it's really cool that you guys get to do lots of architecture on this course!

The pillars need thicker bases however. At the moment it looks like a stack of plates, quite unstable.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    A bigger pool in the center and some urns could be some nice details.

If you have the time, I would read up a little about the roman/greek pillars and how they differed in apperance from timeperiod to timeperiod. Then I would pick the one style I liked, find more reference photos, and just go nuts with it on the whole building to add a little extra believability.
    A link to begin with:
    http://academic.reed.edu/humanities/110Tech/Parthenon.html
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the idea's Cheese, tried em all and it's still a no go. frown.gif Guess I'll have to redo it all. Stinkin Maya. Oh well, atleast what you said will probably be useful in the future

And yea, I love that we get to do some architecture and all. smile.gif Thanks for the the critique as well. Haha, now that I look at it in that light you have a damn good point.

And thank you very much for the idea's and advice Cubik. I suppose that you deffinatly have a good point about the style and stuff. More research should deffinatly be done. Thanks for the link. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir, do you have the file as an .ma? Or only .mb?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an .mb. Why, would that make a difference with the problem? Which is better?

Thanks. smile.gif

(Also, I just had a similar problem, and made a new thread about it in the 2d/3d discussion forum. It's here)

Thanks a bunch. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK, this is getting confusing smile.gif lets leave this thread to deal with your Art and stick to the other one for the technical problems. I'll continue to reply in relation to that over there.

For a wireframe render follow my comments here: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=2&Number=97196&page=0&fpart=3
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, it is indeed. And thanks for the link for the wireframe, that is awesome.