Home General Discussion

Viva le france DRM bites the dust

tpe
tpe
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
tpe polycounter lvl 18
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22795

The french have banned DRM on films, what about mp3s?

tpe

Replies

• Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Still don't like france...
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like france either, but because they're french, not any war bullshit.

Go tell Napoleon France sucks at wars.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    W00t another reason to like the french, they already gave us Pior! He makes us hot chicks with nice asses in skin tight outfits! Viva la french.
  • Michael Knubben
    you don't like france?
    As a whole? the entire country? what is it then, the french? you don't like the way the sun shines over there?
    It smells?

Seriously guys, when people say that in movies, it's no reason to copy it.

Moz: out of the two, you seem the least idiotic about it: why don't you like france? You at least seem to have some sort of a reason, whereas Weiser_cain manages to come off a bit, err... uninformed.

and to stay a bit ontopic: luckily copy protection has allready been banned over here... it's illegal now. The downside to it is that there is now the possibility that we'll have to pay more taxes on pcs, but the way it's looking now, that'll never happen.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    They hate it because the French are the only voice of reason America has left. Hurray for France! There's probably a much calmer reaction to the decision than you would find if it happened here in the states.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    But I love France because of

ND07.gif
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Completely off topic sorry: Wow two adults on here proudly announcing that they 'dont like France'. Gosh I bet France is really upset that they don't have your approval. To re-iterate what Mighty Pea said: You dont like 'what' exactly? Have you ever even been there? The propensity for xenophobia on this great continent of North America baffles me. I hope to hell you were both kidding, cos otherwise you've put me in a really bad mood.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Daz: The equal, and expanding propensity for self-loating in this country baffles me as well.
    Several people on this board seem to take any opportunity to declare how bad this country is. Which is funny, because they have probably never traveled to other nations. Just like the xenophobes. No perspective.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    France has some of the best politicians. Perhaps it's time we take it back.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    stop with the France Bashing, because you guys are missing the point. the point is, that if France does not "hold" with the concept of DRM officially, then it maynot hold anywhere else eventually. I have been waiting for DVD recorders.

Scott

Scott
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    It baffles you? They were obviously just joking to say something so general and without any reason, so can people stop trying to be offended and so pretenious and just move on?

Based on that article, is it saying that legally you can make copies of rented movies? Or if it is his own, isn't it still illegal to transfer it to another format like that, even if its legal to make copies.
    In any case the french government is very liberal, even if they do not hold with the concept of DRM officially I doubt it'll reach north america anytime soon.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It baffles you? They were obviously just joking to say something so general and without any reason, so can people stop trying to be offended and so pretenious and just move on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly what I said. It does. It baffles me. And no it wasn't obvious to me that they were joking, mmmk?
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, I think it's "Vive la France"?
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    l love french woman,then again ais loves alls women
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't like france either, but because they're french, not any war bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

French Canadians must love you Moz. wink.gif
  • sundance
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i've met a few french people. a couple were okay, the otehrs were not so. i generally find french people to be even more annoyingly arrogant, xenophobic and self-centred than the americans who often seem to have arrogant self-centred xenophobia wired into their very DNA.

the country itself is nice tho...

i hate the fact that the french try to control how the language works. half the fun of language is the constant evolution and change, you chavs.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Y3/\1-1, <1-1/\1\1G3 15 G00|>!!1!
    (apologies)
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair though Sundance, you yourself often display the xenophobic and arrogant tendencies that you so describe. Heck you just did with that paragraph.

Try leaving your comfort zone and living abroad for a few years, and you'll get a more worldly and accepting view than the one little old England provides you with.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the French people I've met have been friendly and helpful. They've also been fun and interesting people. I try not to judge an entire nation based on the meeting of one person. People are people everywhere, there's good ones and bad ones. If you meet a bunch of idiots from Norway, does that mean Norway is populated by idiots? Certainly not! Norway is populated by Per.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like france because my family is english and I was raised that way. Same reason I don't like the Irish.

EDIT: Though, my childhood brainwashing in enforced by the fucking Bloc Qu
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I don't like blacks because my family is all white power and I was raised that way so I can totally understand where you are coming from. Same reason I don't like Mexicans, Jews, Asians or just about anyone who isn't of White Anglo-Saxon Protestant descent.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    just to clarify a few things :

In france, you can actually make ONE personal copy of cd's, games, dvd's and such, but only if you OWN the original support, and afaik you are only allowed to make ONE copy that you can't share at all, somehow like a backup copy.

thing is that this guy seemed to have bought the DVD and now wants to get rid of the protection to watch it on another support, which, obviously is legal, as soon as the copy is unique and only for personal use/not for sharing/selling/renting.

as for Mp3's , legal music download sites say that if you download (and pay for that download) a song from their site, you can go up to 7 transferts(from your HD to mp3 players) and one backup mp3, but as said before, only for personal use.

this case is not unique, just a reminder of this law smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I was friends with this Mexican dude who worked in a local restaurant. He could barely speak English, but we were sitting out on a bench during break and he asked, "are all Americans bad people?"

Of course I replied with, "Yes, yes they are. Except for me." tongue.gif
  • Delaney King
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    wait wait wait... you guys are missing the point... taking MULLHOLLAND DRIVE to watch at yer MUMS? Rubbish... I think he copied it so he could scan back and forward through the lesbian scenes. The DVD only has one chapter, so you cant do it easily. smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    \Norway is populated by Per.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawlz!

I had a blast in France, and I found the people as a whole to act no different from the people I would meet on the street in Richmond or Fairfax, Dallas or Austin. When I smiled, they smiled back, said Pardon whenever they had to get by. I had a wonderful experience, and I don't know why the french get such a bad reputation. I mean, come on, Pior and Vahl alone are reason to love the country. 8-)
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Oh how could i forget Vahl as another reason to love the french.

Dave, i wonder if the guys DVD player had zoom on it? if not then this would also explain the need for vhs.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I guess it's alittle late to say I wasnt being serious and I really don't have anything against france. It's the dutch we need to worry about.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Why do I hate france? They are hypocrites that resist(pretend?) outside cultural influence, which if you're an american they insist doesn't even exist, while trying to shove their culture(which they say is better than ever other culture in the world, then turn around and chastise american about the same thing) down everyones throat.
    I hated them long before the war(I had three french classes in grade school etc and they've always rubbed me the wrong way).
    I didn't mind them not going along with the war they were well with in their rights to speak out against it, I didn't even believe in it, but they crossed the line by trying to stop us and all the while they are involved in a conflict in the Ivory coast without U.N. approval. They work against us and try to undermind us at every turn. They want to build an army that can take us on and have their own nukes for no other reason that I can think of than to raise their 'prestige' and to compete/use agianst us. How should I feel about this?

Sorry to make you feel bad Daz. But you made me feel bad by not accepting my point of view so lets call it even, ok?

On topic: It'll never happen here as business has it's claws too deeply in this government.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    well, someone has some repressed homosexual feelings. grin.gif

Seriously, if you're going to get your panties in a twist about a country make it the netherlands, you can't trust a people that are mostly under sealevel, it just isn't right.
    crazy.gif
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well Weiser, since I very much prefer to not make rash judgements about people, I'll prefer to think that you cannot possibly be the clueless ignoramus that you just made yourself out to be from that diatribe of ill informed racist drivel you just regurgitated.

Therefore, I can only conclude that you are attempting simply to 'wind me up'.

Prolific irony in mainstream culture has actually gotten pretty tedious of late. That whole 'Ooh, ooh I can't tell If he really means it or If he's just kidding' thing just isn't as we say back home 'big or clever'. It actually suits the definition of trolling pretty nicely. Which is a shame, since in the many many years I've been coming here and contributing to and learning from this community, polycount has largely been an intelligent, tolerant and mostly fun place to hang out.

Don't make me change my mind.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like France, but I'm allowed to because all my reasons are all good ones.
  • JKim3
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    You know, by what I've experienced, French (Talking about France French) culture is in a lot of ways better to what we have in North Am. Spending time with French friends has parts of me wishing I was brought up in French culture.

The whole thing about how some people are so serious about bread with their dinner that they'll stop eating is awesome!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't remember saying anything even remotely based on race. Please take my argument apart, if you can prove me wrong(and I promise to look at it with an open mind) I will reconsider my position. I'm serious.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up.

edit: anyone else a little bothered by the overly argumentative tone of GD these day? laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I thought it was comedy laugh.gif
    Come on its not even worth taking that seriously..
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit. I wonder if I'm to blame on this one but there does seem to be a trend.
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't like France, but I'm allowed to because all my reasons are all good ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would one of those reasons be that you live in Ohio?
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Please take my argument apart, if you can prove me wrong(and I promise to look at it with an open mind

[/ QUOTE ]

"They are hypocrites that resist(pretend?) outside cultural influence, "

And we aren't?

"They work against us and try to undermind us at every turn."

You give one real reason of how they were hypocritical and draw this to mean they work against the US at everyturn?

"I hated them long before the war(I had three french classes in grade school etc and they've always rubbed me the wrong way)."

And how does a language make a nation "bad"?

" nukes for no other reason that I can think of than to raise their 'prestige"

So you claim not to know the reason, yet makes a guess. That my friend is the definition of prejudice.

"How should I feel about this?"

I don't know, how about you reason through it first before feeling?
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would one of those reasons be that you live in Ohio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not directly, but my native Ohioness could be the foundation for my dislike of my French experience. Ohio is almost entirely unlike France smile.gif
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You weren't kidding? Oh, right. Yeah, that's a bit of a different situation then. Yeah. Your argument? What argument? You don't 'HAVE' an argument. Your hatred for the French? Your hatred for 60 million people that you have never met because of some vague ill informed nebulous notions that you have is not, I'm
    afraid any kind argument worth mine nor anyone elses time.

Gauss: perhaps If people spent a bit more time in 2D/3D and P&P ( you know, the Art ) than trolling in here, it would be a more progressive place for all of us? That's what polycount is all about. Not this shit.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    For the arguement that French people are rude - it's possibly based around Parisians being rude. I've known dozens of French poepl both inside and outside of education, I've worked with several and they are always great people. I've visited france several times and have had a great time.

In Paris however, I have had a fair share of outright rudeness. Non parisian french people find the same thing. And this is NOT a french thing. I've had the same with Londoners on London and New Yorkers in New York - the people who live and work in such busy places don't seem to have time for nicities, which is a great shame as it can tarnish others view of such great peoples and their homelands.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, why does France need nukes? Hm? Look on the map, they're wedged between Germany and England, two countries they constantly had territorial disputes with during the last ~1500 years. Look at the rest of the EU, who would stop these two countries conquering France? Italy? Spain? Do you expect the US to come and help France if England and Germany invaded? Do you think Russia could or would help them? (since Daz wouldn't believe me otherwise I'm making the humour explicit in this post)
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: Totally agreed.

Weiser_Cain: Your "argument" is bullshit and petty, ill-informed personal opinions. Go and post some artwork and stop talking crap.

oXYnary: Hey, I agree! smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

"They are hypocrites that resist(pretend?) outside cultural influence, "

And we aren't?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd say 'Iie' but I'm choking on the bamboo shoots in my fried rice. I'd also say you're trying to turn this into a competition between the US and france and that isn't what this is about.

[ QUOTE ]
    "They work against us and try to undermind us at every turn."

You give one real reason of how they were hypocritical and draw this to mean they work against the US at everyturn?

[/ QUOTE ] Watch their behaviour at the UN and look at what they want the EU to become. Look into it, they are at least very honest that they don't like the fact that the US is the only super power and want the EU to becom a 'counterbalance' to the US both economicaly and militarily.

[ QUOTE ]
    "I hated them long before the war(I had three french classes in grade school etc and they've always rubbed me the wrong way)."

And how does a language make a nation "bad"?

[/ QUOTE ]it's the etc part. Language is the gateway to a culture and the people behind it, like how while learning japanese(somewhat) taught me that the japanese have seroius problems. It's the reason I read up on France.

[ QUOTE ]
    " nukes for no other reason that I can think of than to raise their 'prestige"

So you claim not to know the reason, yet makes a guess. That my friend is the definition of prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]
    they built nukes and blew up little parts of the world very late in the game and who are they going to use nukes on anyway? If they nuke the brits their Fleur de Sel will glow for the next 50000 years, the germans? No longer a threat and there is no way nukes would help against them anyway. What are they going to do nukes parts of the frech countryside to get rid of the fourth reich?

You're not listening to me anyway so I'll keep my opinion to myself for now and go along like frances model of the perfect non-french EU citizen or any whose opinion varies from the state line.

MoP, I'm spending more time on my designs nowadays and I'm in the middle of a move. That is what's slowed down how fast I normaly cranked out stuff, not this. Though I wonder if I haven't poisoned the francophiles on this board on this board against anything I do no matter how good it might turn out to be?
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, let's ask like this: Why does the US have nukes? What country could invade them? Canada? MEXICO? Even the Chinese or Russians could be beaten easily in a war. The reason the nukes are there is because they don't want anyone to try. Deterrent, not actual weapon. As Pratchett put it, "Leonardo wanted to invent a weapon so terrible everybody would be afraid to use it and therefore no wars would be fought anymore".
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "Though I wonder if I haven't poisoned the francophiles on this board against anything I do no matter how good it might turn out to be? "

Yeah, I would hope that wouldn't be the case, 'cos that wouldn't be fair. I mean really, that would be prejudiced right?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Look into it, they are at least very honest that they don't like the fact that the US is the only super power and want the EU to becom a 'counterbalance' to the US both economicaly and militarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the problem there is...? Are you afraid that France is going to declare war on the USA and win?

[ QUOTE ]
    MoP, I'm spending more time on my designs nowadays and I'm in the middle of a move. That is what's slowed down how fast I normaly cranked out stuff, not this. Though I wonder if I haven't poisoned the francophiles on this board on this board against anything I do no matter how good it might turn out to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm sure you'll still get the same honest response concerning your art from me regardless of whether I think you're a "good person" or not. Same applies to anyone else. I critique the work, not the person, when it comes to art.

However, I'm well aware that many good artists are complete assholes. Fortunately not that many. I'd sleep easier at night if everyone was friendly though.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm friendlier than Daz.
    The problem is that if the transatlantic rift grows(and I believe it will), conflict is inevitable.
    I'm done arguing though so I'll take your suggestion and get back to work.
  • Michael Knubben
    HAhahaha.
    yeah, you're a regular bucket of sunshine compared to that grumpy son of a bitch "Daz".
    What with his "helping people", and "being kind" and all... it sickens me...
    almost as much as the french!