Home General Discussion

Steam

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
Well Valve did name this appropriately since that is what is about to shoot out of my ears right now - steam. Remember the good old days when you could buy a game at the store, bring it home, install it and then PLAY the game? Thanks to the wonders of Steam technology, those days are over.

Bought HL2 last night started installing. After the game was installed from the 5 CDs Steam went into gear decrypting the game. By this time it was late so I decided to head off to bed and let Steam work its' magic. I can always play tomorrow night, right?

So tonight I had about an hour of time to myself so I thought I would play some HL2. I double click the icon, nothing happens. I click Steam in the system tray, nothing.

After some fiddling around, inserting the CDs, etc. I go into the task manager and, against the advice of my task manager, close Steam. I double click the Steam icon and FINALLY something happens. I click "Browse Games" and select HL2. Steam thinks about it a bit and then tells me I need to update my video drivers, which is nice because I had not realized that they were out of date.

I update my drivers and reboot. Double click Steam > Browse Games > HL2 ... Steam decides that HL2 needs updating. So, if I had another 2 hours to wait around I MIGHT get to try HL2 tonight. Since I don't, there's always tomorrow.

I am so unbelievably irritated right now that I am on the verge of packing up the box and taking it back to the store. This is so unbelievably inconvenient. WTF? Anyone else had any bad Steam experiences or am I the only lucky one?

Replies

• Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    You oughtta try installing FFXI =P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It doesn't sound a like a prob at all, Astro. After installing HL2 from CDs, it's suggested that you reboot. You drivers HAVE to be up-to-date to run the game, so it told you your's were no good for it.
    Valve was hacked. Their code was stolen. It's MORE than understandable that Valve encrypted thier game heavily. Hell, at E3 this year, I was in a HL2 demo show, and the HD crashed on Gabe, because of an encryption error.

Halflife 2 has also been out for several weeks, who's not to expect an update?

Your problems aren't problems, it's normal. I installed via a STEAM download. I had to wait about 25min for decryption, and another hour for it to validate the files.

You can't blame Valve for being secure with their YEARS of hard work.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I find it pretty annoying to. I like to have the option whether or not I want to install a patch or not. Sometimes I dont like what the patches do, or sometimes I just want to wait for a more convenient time.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well apparently a patch had just been released so I can understand the update. Still, like aesir said, it would have been nice if I at least had the option to use the time I had to play the game and patched it at my own convenience rather than it being dictated to me by Steam.

Well, I guess I will try and play if I get some free time tomorrow night...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Remember the good old days when you could buy a game at the store, bring it home, install it and then PLAY the game? Thanks to the wonders of Steam technology, those days are over.

[/ QUOTE ]

because you insisted on buying the game through the distribution system that Steam is meant to replace, or at least supercede. in contrast to your experience, here was mine: it strikes midnight on the release date (pacific time). i restart steam, having preloaded the game at my leisure many weeks prior, and the game unlocks itself. within 15 minutes i'm playing HL2 and enjoying it.

so to answer your question, no, i'm not missing those 'good old days' one bit. i know my experience represents more of the ideal and that the Steam system in its current iteration means that Your Mileage May (wildly) Vary, but it's the beginning of something much, much better. i've got Valve's back catalogue completely available to me, without having to hunt down my old copies, i get nice little goodies delivered right over Steam without having to scramble to overloaded FTP sites, and i never have to worry where my HL2 disks are ever again. and perhaps best of all, i know more of my money is going toward Valve, not some grubby distributors.

i'm not one to embrace new technology readily, but Steam really holds the promise of something better and is steadily making good on that promise.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    steam = evil nuff said
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how I MUST have steam running eating up 123mb of ram to even get Hammer open. AND IF I keep the "play games" window open it causes a memory leak and crashes steam after an hour. Nothing like working on a map and loosing all your progress... Not to mention the configuration resets each time you launch it. It has its issues but I don't fault valve for using it. If I was in thier shoes I would use it, of course I also would fix it before forcing everyone to use it....
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    cd's are no longer needed for hl2 thankfully.

Sundance: please enlighten to mmy why "steam" sucks so much?

I personally am content with steam never given me problems. and the number of patches released over steam and the frequency is quite nice. although at times irritating for some of the patch times. These are only required if you're connected online with steam. try not allowing steam to connect to the internet and you won't have a problem with hl2 being out of date.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with iMag. I'm happy with Steam - it's never crashed, or got in the way of my using other programs. It's a handy way of accessing the mod tools and SDK, and I personally like the way it auto-downloads and installs patches (I remember having to try about 5 download sites linked from EA's site for BF:Vietnam before I got a working patch download).
    It's not like it's installing spyware or anything, it's only trying to improve your gaming experience...

I got the DVD edition at 15 past midnight, installed it all without a hitch, then at 8am (due to time difference in the UK) spent 10-15 minutes unlocking the game files, and then tried starting the game. It told me my graphics card drivers were out of date - I checked the ATI site, and they were out of date, so I got the newest ones. After that everything ran smoothly, and has done since then.
    Currently my brother is playing HL2 on his PC using my Steam account. Since he only installed it a few days ago, it patched it before playing - unexpected but quite handy. In fact I wish every game auto-patched (I hear the new Vampire game actually has a bug which means you can't get past a certain level without console commands - quick auto patch please!).

Err, yeah. I don't see much evidence of Steam "sucking" from this end, I'm afraid.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    I really hate STEAM as much as I like HL2. And that's a lot.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I got HL2 from the store. Took two freaking hours to install, decrypt, patch and load. Oh, AZ, the best part is still waiting for you: The load times are atrocious. The main menu alone takes forever to load and displays a blurred image while doing so which forces me to look away from the screen as my eyes start to hurt when I don't. The level sections take forever to load, too. Hell, in HL2 loading a 2 minute section takes about as long as loading an 1 hour section in Doom 3.

BTW, is there a way to make Steam tell you when it downloads a patch? Or did mine forget to update (yes, it IS set to autoupdate)?

Only positive thing about steam is that it registered my Gunman Chronicles CDKey as HL1 Platinum. My HL1 key was already taken.

Hm, I guess I should continue playing HL2 but Kururin Squash! is just so much more fun...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: Turn on the Developer Console (or run the game with -console in the command line) and it won't load the main menu "background level". That really pissed me off, about a minute of loading time just for something I was gonna skip immediately anyway with Quick Load. With the console enabled it just keeps the blurred image there and slaps the menu on top, instead of loading the full map. I'd like to know who at Valve had that bright idea, and why none of the testers or developers ever realised it was intensely annoying?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought the physical copy of HL2 from a retailer for two reasons:

1) I had a Gift Certificate
    2) I like having a physical copy of the game. Silly, I know. I also still like to buy music CDs.

Another ridiculous thing is why am I required to have a CD in the drive to play? If I had bought it through Steam I wouldn't have to.

Oh well. As of this morning it's all patched and ready to go. Maybe I'll get a chance to play it tonight.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Should of got the "Collectors Edition" for the DVD.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like having a physical copy of the game. Silly, I know. I also still like to buy music CDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

not silly, me too!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Adam: Well, you still need the DVD in the drive ... I think that's AstroZombie's problem with it, since you only ever install it once smile.gif (Mine is on DVD but I don't think it's collector's edition).
    That said, it is pretty dumb how they have the whole online authorisation thing every time you play, AND you need the CD/DVD in the drive, even though all the game files are on the hard drive. Doubly silly since the people who downloaded it don't need a CD/DVD in the drive at all, since it auths online frown.gif
    Ahh well, minor nitpicks in an otherwise great product.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    every time you play??
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Dukester: Not the unlocking files thing. That only happens the first time you play after install. I'm assuming Steam does some sort of online check whenever you run the game (provided your internet connection is active) to cut down on piracy (ie. "is more than one person running the same CD-key at the same time?").
    I say I'm assuming that - I don't actually know if it does - but if it doesn't, why bother with an "offline mode" for Steam?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the guys here at work is on dial-up at home. After being forced to d/l the HLDM add-on that is completely useless to him, he figured out how to disable Steam and run HL2 like a normal game. Problem solved.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MoP if yours came with a t-shirt its the CE.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Who still uses Dial-Up?

That's just wrong. wink.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Who still uses Dial-Up?

[/ QUOTE ]

My incredibly underpaid co-worker, that's who wink.gif

Playing in "Offline Mode": http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/sh...ghlight=offline
  • clangorous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clangorous polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Who still uses Dial-Up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more than willing to take monthly donations so I can upgrade. tongue.gif
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    The steam concept is unparalelled, and while it functions (despite its little memory problems), it is fantastic. However, the first time it stops you playing a game you have paid for, it starts to stink to high heaven, then it is unmitigatedly evil.

tpe
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dial-up?

raises hand ooo.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dial up is exactly why steam is evul. whilst about 85% of the US population has broadband connections, there are still about 55% of people in the UK at least who are on dial-up. who the hell wants to have their phonebill rocketing thru the roof whilst some shitty piece of software 'validates' the game you just payed 35 quid for in the shops JUST so you can play single-player. f**& that.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    raises hand also.

Edit:
    BTW where are you getting this 85% of US population has broadband?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    sundance is using the "facts" in his brain, not checking up on records and statistics smile.gif
    I think also that only about 30% of home internet users in the UK have broadband.
    It is a bit rich that they effectively force users to pay their phone company though. I wonder if they have a deal with AT&T or something...
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok,ok, i pulled those numbers out of my ass, but the point is, broadband is more widespread in the USA than in the UK and even those on dial-up will generally pay less in the US than those in the UK, because the phonebills are cheaper.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I gota say its just not on, ok , in the next few months im gona be moving house , and for a while i wont be able to afford a internet connection , let alone broadband... will i be able to play it then?? its not just a problem of some people not having broadband in the UK , some of us Cant get it at all ... thats right , some exchanges are still not upgraded. i know even though im gona buy hl2 , i will be looking for cracks and stuff to make it run without hassle .. im too lazy to change disks on normal games , this seems silly ... another thing i was thinking ... say valve go bust , or you want to play this game in 6 years? wot do you do? im sure there wont be the support there is now ... some games i play are more than 10 years old ... will steam have this easy download system in 10 years ?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I bought the physical copy of HL2 from a retailer for two reasons:

1) I had a Gift Certificate
    2) I like having a physical copy of the game. Silly, I know. I also still like to buy music CDs.

Another ridiculous thing is why am I required to have a CD in the drive to play? If I had bought it through Steam I wouldn't have to.

Oh well. As of this morning it's all patched and ready to go. Maybe I'll get a chance to play it tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont need the CD in the drive to play HL2. I did the first time, but it hasnt asked me for it since. Are you sure it wont let you astro?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir: I think a recent patch fixed the copy protection but before that I'm 100% positive you need to have the DVD/CD in the drive.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    pff, Steam rock.
    when valve first starting to test steam in hl1, I hated it. but now. it rock.

I bought, hl2 gold, (AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH, anyone want a fucking hl2 hat, UH), with steam, Preloaded hl2 super fast,then the morning after it was out, I opened steam, did the last update, and I was ready to play in no time.

Cds suck, With steam, I dont have to look for my cds, put it in, and having that ackward loading. I just right click on steam, click hl2, and voila. Its fast and efficient.

U are just scared to loose the cd cases , LAME! smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Let me guess.. Dialup, right, Zombie?

Scott
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    so since im on a modem that cant stay connected for more than 8 hours at a time should i even consider buying a copy of HL2?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, Asherr. probably not. Sorry. Now I bought the DVD, the game installed, and Steam took 45 minuts to activate (less time now), and it will have you patch it, and activate and download a b8unch of other material for HL2 Deathmatch. On A Dialup, I'd think that you would HAVE to install off a CD or DVD, and then activate (for several hours) on the Modem for the Steam activation, but I cannot guarantee that. YMMV.

Scott
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    activation doesnt take a ton of time, and if you dont want the updates then run in the offline mode.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott: What? It didn't force me to d/l HL2DM...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so , can you play hl2dm through a lan? without internet connection sharing?i quite often have friends come over and play lan games , i dont want to have to set up internet connection sharing on there machine when im back on dialup...

maybe when ive used it i will understand why steam is so good , but for now it just sounds like a pain in the ass , designed to protect valve in some way from ppl copying the game ... although im sure they have failed there ...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thermidor: Yeah, HL2DM runs fine through a LAN. If everyone was running it through Steam in Offline mode, that would probably be fine. Don't quote me on that though, I haven't tried it smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really hope so , i loved Hl1 dm, 1 thing i always was hopeing for in hl2 was a coop mode , but i gather it dosnt have 1 , not many games do , shame :/
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    Sven Co-op is working on a co-op version of hl2.

Hl2dm is nice, but is lacking in maps still at the moment. and it would be nice to have the option to remove all weapons and only receive the physics gun as that generally provides the most fun.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Am i the only one who finds Halflife 2 to be boring, i never seem to play it more than 30mins. Its bearely entertaining and gets repetitive really fast. I played Halflife 1 for over 4 years and still find it more fun than Halflife 2

Halflife 2 is my last steam game. (check)

Halflife 2 is my last Valve game. (check)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry peanut™ but I played for 90 minutes straight last night and only quit because my girlfriend made me stop playing and come to bed. I absolutely LOVE it. If it continues to impress me and hold my interest I guess I can forgive Valve for Steam wink.gif
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait you just got the game, you'll see what i mean pretty soon. I had Halflife the first week it was out.

ZZZzzzz
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peanut, Im afraid to say that your really in the minority on this one. That or suffering from the most acute ADHD disorder I have ever heard of!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any cure you could suggest ?

laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    got HL2 for christmas. installed, decrytpted, updated in less than 2hrs on DIAL UP.

now.. HL2DM and CSS are another story. stayed on 98 and 99% respectivly for 8hrs or so. they were taking turns downloading little bits at a time. had to tell it to not auto update either of them and then i had to manually start the game to have it update. HL2DM updated in about 5 minutes and CSS will be done in about an hour or so.

so on a MODEM i have had no problems with steam in it's current incarnation. had some problems way back when they first started it but no longer.

and check http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...lPTE*&p_li=
    for running in offline mode for offline/LAN play.

also NO CD REQUIRED to play.

havent noticed any memory issues with steam. it's sitting nicely at 5,728 kb

Asherr: yes buy it. tongue.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    it runs fine, i just dont like having programs running in the background whilst gaming.