Home General Discussion

Griefers and MMPOG

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
[ QUOTE ]
As online-game companies court new and wider audiences, many are running into an old problem: "griefers," a small but seemingly irradicable set of players who want nothing more than to murder, loot and otherwise frustrate the heck out of everyone else.

Social miscreants can do more than ruin the game for better-behaved competitors. They can hurt game companies' bottom line by driving away customers and burning up support lines. Problems related to grief players often account for 25 percent or more of customer service calls, according to game publishers.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://news.com.com/Inflicting+pain+on+griefers/2100-1043_3-5488403.html?tag=nefd.top

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Havnt had much trouble with griefers, i think most people get griefed for being stupid.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Heh I was surprised to find a thread about griefers on PC lol.. I have been playing Lineage 2 since open beta and the griefing in the game is rife and particularly in the lower level areas (noobs) higher lvl griefing happens less often or its politicall and planned and when it does happen it starts wars and causes all sorts flaming lol. NC Soft that runs the game has an approach that is not listed in that article, namely if you got a problem sort it out yourself, so griefers dont get any official retribution, but it makes the game more fun I like that openendedness of the game. The L2 forum is hillarious to read lots of OMGWTF I will WTFPWN JOO lol..

There is a definite set of players that are out there to grief, I know for fact that there are higher lvl players that have alt (usually perma red) that roam around noob areas picking off nublets.

ss06.JPG
    heh couldnt resist
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, griefers pretty much ruined my Anarchy Online experience to point of cancelling my subscription. There just wasn't the support against assholes like that.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Griefers are the antichrist of online gaming.
    They exist in UT2k4, in PlanetSide, AO, EQrack, SWG, DaoC and in just about every other online-game. frown.gif

Roflness: Niiiiice armor... ooo.gif
    Makes me wanna play Lineage2 again.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Now that's the reason I only play offline multiplayer (aka LAN).
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Griefers are the antichrist of online gaming.
    They exist in UT2k4, in PlanetSide, AO, EQrack, SWG, DaoC and in just about every other online-game. frown.gif

Roflness: Niiiiice armor... ooo.gif
    Makes me wanna play Lineage2 again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe ty its full plate, getting the stuff together for Doom plate.
    L2 is awesome after Chronicle 2 update, its actually a complete game now, and there is tons to do, what was the lvl of your character when you quit ? Oh and what server Im on Lionna.
  • Mr.Reacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Reacto polycounter lvl 18
    UT2k4 is not an mmo.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    maybe he ment Team Killers
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now that's the reason I only play offline multiplayer (aka LAN).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nothing beats punching the griefers in real-life wink.gif

But I never really had problems with griefers so far, might be because I hate mmorpgs tongue.gif and teamkillers in normal Multiplayer games are a mild annoyance at best (and are usually kicked of the server quickly)
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i'm playing WoW and even on hte pve servers you get high level chars that go into noob towns of other factions and keep killing off NPC's and any noobs that try and stop them,

the other day i had to take my lvl 15 troll hunter to the taurne noob town cause astrozombie and another fella from liquid was goignt to make characters there to sign my guild charter, and a lvl 18 night elf showed up trying to cause trouble, and i killed him twice, with the help of a couple level 1's and my pet Gator Sherbert. it was fun
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Roflness: Heh, I only got my hands on a single piece of bronze armor, and then I tried doing the wolf-pet quest so I could afford another part. And then the quest borked on me.

I provided the correct answers, but the npc said it was incorrect - I had 2 mods check up on the answers and they were indeed correct, but they didn't bother helping me, so I just got stuck there. (their customer support is what truly sucks)

Anyhoo, I was a level18 dark elf fighter...
    I can't remember the name of the server, but it was the the old closed beta server.
    That was before they got the 2 extra first open-beta servers running.

There's a thread over at the old PolyBoard where I posted my char's name and server.

Oh, and good to hear - the game felt kinda lacking in beta.

3DGuy - Yep, that was what I meant... Technically speaking, they're griefers too..
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes ahh hehe was a while ago then .. yeah the game has changed dramatically, the Mob variation is X10 what it was in beta, the map has probably grown by about 60%, seiges are alot of fun, the seiges now arent plaver v NPC anymore its PvP and whole lot harder. The last seige I was involved in had a total of about 400 people and lasted 90 minutes, the XP losses on both sides were so great that the usual shit talk after a seige was absent, and for the first time in Lineage 2 there was some resemblance of mutual respect.. didnt last long though hahah..

Mojo there were quite a few players that left L2 for WoW because of griefing hahahah looks like they just jumped into anther game full of griefing ! hahahahah

I only experience griefing on my nub dwarfs, and when it does happen I log on my lvl 55 main and swtich to noob gear and port to where my dorfs are and serve up some asses.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    didn't see much griefing in l2, was in during closed beta and didn't play during open when the servers got slaughtered. it did happen a lot in mu online though, and cheating was rampant as well, speed hacks and account hacking through spyware filled speed hacks were common. once saw a griefer get their arse kicked by a gm with an unobtainable character class though, was pretty funny to see the bastard get stomped.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    'griefers' were a part of what kept me from signing up for Planetside.. quite literally the last day of my trial and i ran into a few of 'em that just ruined the fun of the game.

and let's not forget everyone's favorite griefer... those asses that speedhack and whatnot with CS and now CS:S...
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    so dont these griefers get flagged at all? so that it would be obvious who does this kind of thing? and if it was there for everyone to see, dont people gang up on these greifers? If I played these games Id level up my character to insane proportions and wage a one man war. Like punisher.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, L2 the game with the bootylicious Elves.

Well the thing is, you get Griefers in any multiplayer, unless you can only play with friends (note all the passworded servers.) Microsofts idea of "friends Lists" seems to have worked. (So does the way Live Journal works, usually).

The motivations for Griefers need to be adressed. Those that have problems with authority have to be weeded out as pure vandals. The ones the pick on the newbies.... why can't you curse them woith being unspeaking monsters for a few days? SOrt of using their instincts as community service/ Low HP Punching bag? and if they are a repeat offender then lock them, but if they are a good monster, give them a bigger monster to play?

Scott
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    they need a thing like in Halo2, if someone kills you who shouldn't you can select to boot them from the game.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    3dg: They have had that looooooooong before Halo2. Unless Im misunderstanding?
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking about trying out Lineage 2, so is it any good then?
  • Jester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jester polycounter lvl 18
    i've been playing l2 for about a month and a half and i love it. i would recommend it to anyone. just try and get in a clan or make some friends cuz it'll start to suck if you don't. smile.gif

rolf - i love the strider there, and it's always nice to see sexy dark elves smile.gif 55 huh, nice.

btw i'm on the Bartz server as an lvl 24 orc named ElGallo so if any of you are on there, PM me sometime smile.gif

Jester
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some screenies :P

hehe thanks jestar, striders are cool mine is gimped lol .. Im on Lionna char rolfette

Soul I think its worth a go, I'll PM u with something ;P

Scott look booty !!! like I mentioned previously in L2 peeps help each others out with griefers

Mar shame u aint playing anymore the game rocks

l2001.jpg

l2002.jpg

l2003.jpg

l2005.jpg
  • Mr.Reacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Reacto polycounter lvl 18
    If there was a twitch purly player skilled based(space combat or FPS) out there, then I would guess that the vast majotiry of the godly skilled players would play a role as pirates or just kill things.

It happened to me before in Jumpgate.

If you got the godly skills, you would probably take them out.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's funny that the female's basic stance in L2 looks like their posing for a centerfold shot. Looks good though. smile.gif
  • Artreth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artreth polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't say that pvp is bad per se, it's just that numerous of those who pvp are not in it for the thrill of besting another in equal combat, but for the sheer feeling of power when they kill some newbie who can't raise a hand to defend themselves.

I myself been playing Eve Online(http://www.eve-online.com/), which was originally more pvp oriented (but thanks to us carebears, has become a little safer in some places).
    A lot of pvp people whine on the Eve boards how they can't go into empire space and newbie zones to wreak havoc. What is also quite interesting is how these people can dig up an exploit in any game mechanic, just to grief other players.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Dag on the art in L2 is unbelievably gorgeous.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    It's the Unreal Engine, so I've heard, just modified for HUGe environments.

Scott
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, you've heard right!

L2 is based on the Unreal Engine. smile.gif