Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review ?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Raphael_Bouch triangle

The pre-requesite to get hired are bigger and bigger with each passing day.

I started doing 3D around a year ago, do you think it is good enough to start applying somewhere ?

https://www.artstation.com/raphael_bouchev

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nexussim polygon

I'm no professional, but I'll give you my opinion. I really like the uv texel density quality on your Viper MK2 model. I think you should show that on all of the models. Good job! The one thing I think is holding your portfolio back is some of the texturing. Mainly I'm thinking of the truck. I don't know why but I feel the painted metal is off. I also feel the tires look more like plastic than rubber (for example, too reflective. Tires are super unreflective.) On the other hand, I don't know if it's supposed to be a toy truck or a real one, so if it's supposed to be a toy, that's a different story. Oh, one more thing. I don't think any glass is that tinted. it should be less opaque so you can see through it a bit. Anyways, take it all with a BIG grain of salt! Also, great job, I like the your work :)

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

After 12mths! looks like you're getting a handle on making game stuff.

@nexussim

Pretty much covered most of what I had in mind. Just keep refining on what you've learnt thus far and with luck + a little more sweat or red bulls, opportunity may come a knockin 👍️

• Lukes3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

Those are some pretty good models. Very nice for your first year.

The big rigs presentation could use some work. It looks like its floating while being lit in all directions. When you light things in all directions, it removes shadows and ambient occlusion that make things look real. I would put a ground under it, and make the background white. Like this https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-generic-sport-coupe-1409042

While the space rangers ship is nicely modeled, I don't think it's a very good design. Maybe it is from a game somewhere, but it still doesn't look right to me. I would expect a ship with that kind of body to have conventional wings. The rear of the body ends in an sudden abrupt manor.

I would zoom in a little more on the objects for the thumbnail images. The whole model doesn't have to fit in the square image. Usually when you do, it leaves alot of blank space, because most objects arn't square. They can still see the rest when they click on it. It makes your portfolio look "fuller" at a distance imo.

I would go ahead and apply for some positions. And while your waiting add more models to your portfolio that follow the hard surface/vehicle trend you got going.

• Raphael_Bouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphael_Bouch triangle

Hey ! Thank you all for the replies here.

I completely agree with you for the truck xD. It was the first time I decided to try an automotive design and in retrospetive a truck isn't the easiest to start with (way less ref than for a conventional car and nobody seems to enjoy showing the parts beneath it (trunk etc...)). For the fully black glass it is because I got lazy and if I had made them transparent, it would require me to do the cockpit too (glory to pbr).

For everything else it definitely looks like a toy and is meant to be a real thing, so it's good for a full texture rework ahah.

The model you showed looks very cool, silver grey background is also cooler than my dark gray one. And I'll keep in mind for the closeup in the thumbnail.

TL;DR : Thank you very much for critiques guys and the kick for applying to jobs. Much appreciated ! If you need me to critique some of your works too feel free to ask me !

Best regards, Raphaël.