Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Environment] Fliegerhorst Quakenbrück

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone

First time poster here on this Forum :)

I am currently making a miniature model of a german barracks from World war 2. I have so far made the Buildings and Placed them in their correct position. This is how it looks in Sketchfab:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/fliegerhorst-quakenbruck-8d982a8927114d34bf5851681f6d8124
(I have just made a link as the embed viewer does not Work for me :/)

Next I will be modeling the roads, walkways and small details.

This is the first time I have been trying to make a project so big and with so many models, so I hope to get some tips and critique from you as I go along.

Best regards

Henrik

Replies

• HenOFre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again

I have been working on the roads and the base of the diorama, so here is a small update:

Next I will have to texture the individual Buildings and add some trees and shrubs to the model. I have some questions for all of you though. How do I texture the large planes of grass and the roads without getting to much texture repetition? Should it be contained within one large texture?

Thank you for watching an hope you will find the time to leave a comment.

Best regards

Henrik
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    This seems like a great idea, I love the info bubbles on sketchfab that let you know what the buildings are.
    Are you aiming to make it look like miniature buildings or actual realistic buildings?

If you were making it in UE4 you'd want to make the grass texture tiling with a multi-material setup and vertex painting but I assume that doesnt work with sketchfab. I guess it depends on how efficient you want it to be, a tiling texture will obviously give you the best optimization but if you only want to show it off on sketchfab and dont really care you can probably make it a highres unique texture.
    Thats just my thoughts though, I'm sure someone with more experience will have a better answer.

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress :smiley:
  • HenOFre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the commenting @CybranM B)

This model will be a miniature of the real thing, so the buildings are not going to be super detailed and I am not going to give them more polygons than they have now. The model is only  to be used to show a 3D representation of the differen't building instead of having to look at a flat map. I still have not decided how detailed the textures for the buildings will be, but it will take quite a bit of time if I have to put in windows, doors and details like that.

I will be making the ground from higres unique textures as you said. I do not have to worry about optimization in this model and I think this method will be the fastest for me, as this is how I normally work. But I also think this is where I will run into trouble with Sketchfab, because it does not allow models to be more the 50 MB big. Is there any other way/place to present the model to viewers where the size of the model does not matter?