Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Advice on improvements. Would love to hear criticism and improve!

ivanlyw
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ivanlyw polycounter lvl 3

Could anyone give me any tips on improving this sculpt?  I just started zbrush roughly about 3 months ago and would like to hear feedback and improve upon it. Thank you for helping!!

Replies

• ivanlyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P.S. polycount for this is 16mil. I do feel its rather high for it since it lags everytime i move it

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Why don't you retopologise and bake it and show us the low poly as well ? Posting a sculpt without reference and without a low poly version of it, does not leave much room for critisism. Well, it does look good, but,compared to what?
  • ivanlyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Why don't you retopologise and bake it and show us the low poly as well ? Posting a sculpt without reference and without a low poly version of it, does not leave much room for critisism. Well, it does look good, but,compared to what?
    Sorry but what is baking exactly? also if i were to have a low poly count how would i go about this? can i just zremesher to get a low poly? kinda new to this zbrush thing haha
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Well in order to animate or actually use this somewhere,besides 3d printing maybe, you need to make a second model, in your case about 100 thousand triangles would be okay, and bake all the high poly information into what is called a normal map. The process is: retopologize the model you have (you need to learn about animation loops when you retopologize) then unwrap it in a uv layout and then bake a normal map. Good luck figuring these out :p
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    isn't this just meant to be a stati sculpture?
  • ivanlyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Well in order to animate or actually use this somewhere,besides 3d printing maybe, you need to make a second model, in your case about 100 thousand triangles would be okay, and bake all the high poly information into what is called a normal map. The process is: retopologize the model you have (you need to learn about animation loops when you retopologize) then unwrap it in a uv layout and then bake a normal map. Good luck figuring these out :p
    Oh i heard about putting the details back into low poly after getting the mesh from high poly to low poly, I shall look further into this! Thank you for the tips
  • ivanlyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it is.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    ivanlyw said:
    Yes it is.
    well you don't have to do the low poly, it's just the only thing i noticed that you could do if you want to learn something new. Your sculpt is perfectly fine and good looking, and there was no other thing i could say
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You could add noisse detail on the skin.
  • ivanlyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    ivanlyw said:
    Yes it is.
    well you don't have to do the low poly, it's just the only thing i noticed that you could do if you want to learn something new. Your sculpt is perfectly fine and good looking, and there was no other thing i could say
    I have a lesson next week where i will learn how to retopo in maya so thats nice haha.
  • ivanlyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    ivanlyw said:
    Yes it is.
    I have a lesson next week where i will learn how to retopo in maya so thats nice haha.
  • bird-jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bird-jones polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work @ivanlyw! If you're interested in character art, I would work on your anatomy, try studies, or new character sculpts in the future where you really focus on key areas like the hands and feet, I recommend Rafa Grassetti's anatomy video on Gumroad.

I get Kingdom: Death vibes from this piece, really cool.