Should i bother with drawing? How to people make art like this?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Optimus polycounter lvl 2
i have been a 3D artist for about 9 months now, but i can barely draw a stickman without messing it up. i have seen lots of amazing 2D artwork, and i wanna try my hand at 2D after seeing it. but i can't draw for the life of me. should i bother trying it? i am very interested in 2D, but i lack the skill to draw.

I want an explanation. in photoshop, do people hand draw everything to get amazing artwork like this:

this artwork was made entirely in photoshop. how? did the person who made this hand draw it? is their a way to go around drawing and use some other feature instead?

Replies

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It's totatlly feasible to draw that by hand. 

Several breakdowns of 2D art exist online. Google them and the process is usually similar (rough sketch > line art > cleanup > base colors > lighting > texturing > post process/composition).

The skill comes in the actual patience and attention to detail to produce art that is very functional and without flaw.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, but is it possible for me to draw 2D when i can't even draw a stickman?
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Optimus said:
    Well there's a saying called "don't put the cart before the horse".

Art has never been biological. Only those who never practice or refuse to make an effort say when something is impossible. Which sounds harsh but imagine if the entire art world was like that.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi insane polycounter
    I argue you should learn how to draw.  The benefits bleed into so many different areas, it's heinous.  Being able to problem solve areas of a model that are not explicitly pointed out in concept art, quickly draw up ideas, understand at a glance what could be improved about your models, composition, values, etc.

Optimus, if it's possible, then it's possible.

As JordanN said, put in the time, and eventually there will be returns.  Make the sacrifice, and something will happen eventually.

Do you keep a sketchbook at all? That tends to be a good, light first step to building a habit of drawing/  I find myself sketching in a lot of places, including church services, Disneyland lines, long train rides, etc.

Yes the above image was done in Photoshop.  They did it by using Photoshop tools, including brushes, most likely a tablet for input, marquee selection tool, layers, etc.  Some concept artists and illustrators also make use of photo bashing.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson Polycount Sponsor
    If  you don't ever draw, you'll never be able to draw well. Simple as that, really. If you want to make beautiful art, you'll have to put in the effort. There's really no way around it (unfortunately).
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 14
    You use reference and layers, keep at it until it's done. There are also techniques you can use that make drawing easier. Depending on the person's ability they might have to put a grid over the work area and the reference to build up the drawing. I find it easier to draw on paper than with a wacom for example, so you might want to try paper first.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks. Are there any tutorials out there that you would suggest starting with?
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Optimus said:
    Alright, thanks. Are there any tutorials out there that you would suggest starting with?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say of all the art forms, drawing is the one that requires the least tutorials to learn.

In fact, with tutorials you'll only draw what someone else drew which puts a limit on your skills. My opinion is you should learn what art fundamentals are and begin drawing everyday objects in life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_design_elements_and_principles

And when it comes to painting, use resources that can teach you brush techniques and using masks
    https://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Both links are free. No need to spend thousands of dollars on books or classes.. You'll see far more gains by practicing everyday, posting on websites for critiques and using that as motivation to draw and paint more complex stuff.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the links, will have a look at it in the morning! I agree with what you said about learning from your mistakes instead of tutorials, i have had the same experience with 3D (so far), but i do prefer tutorials, because it teaches you how to make something, and you can apply the techniques on that project to your own personal projects.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 14
    You can look at artist like Scott Robertson who teach good drawing habits... For most of my art school days the most the professors taught was draw what you see... While that is really important it only gets you so far. It helps to figure out how to do construction that aids you when you draw, but that was never taught. Always use reference

https://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign

• JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG greentooth
    Optimus said:
    Go to meetup.com and see if there are any life drawing sessions you can go to in your area.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh ngon master
    Just put pencil to paper or pen to wacom and go man...
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D greentooth
    Practice practice practice
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR greentooth
    JordanN said:
    Optimus said:
    Well there's a saying called "don't put the cart before the horse".

Art has never been biological. Only those who never practice or refuse to make an effort say when something is impossible. Which sounds harsh but imagine if the entire art world was like that.
    There is a bit of a biological aspect to some artists in that they can pick up techniques a lot faster and without being taught.
    Though they still have to practice, but master a skill faster.

In Op's case perhaps combine your 3d art as renders and then touch and dress in photoshop/2D art software?
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    no, i wanna learn how to paint in krita.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN polycounter

This isn't meant as a joke of course.

While that guy makes it look easy, he had experience and he did 2 rehearsal paintings before recording that one. And he obviously used reference, which we never get to see.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi polycounter

Optimus wrote:

Should i bother with drawing?

In my opinion you should...no doubt! 

Because Traditional Art requires you too learn Foundational knowledge i.e. Observation, Perspective, Composition, Lighting & Form values, Anatomy Studies and Figure Drawing/Sketching, so actually there are no shortcuts, period! However conversely the same can't be said for someone with a 3D background, simply due to how digital content is generated. In other words dependant upon the user's familiarity implementing their app of choice bundled feature set he/she is able to render out something, at a glance that look's "finished" but under closer scrutiny an artist with exposure too those conventional artistic principles listed above will immediately identify poor overall execution. For further info, an intuitive article I've posted a number of times on this sub-forum clarifies Why 3D Artists Want to Learn 2D

(...merely one of a series of perceptive write-ups from another CG forum, I'll link here) 

How to people make art like this?

The core issue I think most people seem to have problems with, is namely how or what to practice efficiently and affectively alongside a healthy serving of "Perseverance"  first of all, otherwise pretty much a pointless exercise even beginning to self teach yourself drawing in 2D... 

Accordingly, I'd strongly suggest browsing through this resource, a selection of Art Tutorials, Foundational Knowledge, and Book/Video Recommendations as a starting point plus in addition if you've time to spare an insightful discussion on the topic of Practice Practice Practice makes perfect... pay particular attention to comments made by @Lunatique they may help you out not only in the short term but long term as well.  

• Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @sacboi for the detailed response yet again. sadly, i can't do much right now because i need a new desk to put my drawing tablet on, my desk right now puts my tablet at an an angle, so when i draw its in the opposite direction.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi insane polycounter
    If you just materially start simple with pencil and paper and commit to it as a habit, by the time you're an adult, it's going to bleed into and support your artistic sense so much.  You wouldn't even need to think about doing tablet stuff atm.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    its even worse you watched the video i did not even edit, i probably sounded like a 8 year old.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger polycounter
    First thing in art school. Carry this with you and draw what ever you see in real life (one sketch a day).
    Like this guy did for example: http://vielebuntefarben.de/?e=485