Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique wanted

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Moltar polycounter lvl 7
I've just about finished my portfolio and would love some feed back on possible changes I could make

https://rgm33.carbonmade.com

Replies

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks good to me. The logo is a bit too special tho imo and does not fit the general theme of the assets. Picasso and mechs are not related. Modeling looks good, id say the weakest is the texturing, many things still look very ddo/painter ish with unnatural edge definition, but overall id say its pretty much ready.

For the old stuff, cut that out, maybe rerender the car. Cars don't need UV textures, so there is never a reason to have a clay rendered car. Also add more contact info.

Also get your own domain from carbonmade, thats just the usual thing to do.
  • Bmikes1988
    Offline / Send Message
    Bmikes1988 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm curious what it is you want to do? 
  • Bmikes1988
    Offline / Send Message
    Bmikes1988 polycounter lvl 10
    My only suggestion. If you want to work in the game industry or anywhere making 3d game art it would be good to have the models rendered in a game engine. Even setting up a small scene for the mech or something.  If you are not wanting to go into games then dont mind me haha
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    I like your Dunecrawler thing and the weapons. Overall as Shrike said, some materials look a little generic.
    I really dislike the thumbnail for Riptide though, orange on red and front view maybe you 'd like to give it another go.
  • Robert Berrier
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Berrier polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Moltar.

Some nice models there. Here is some small advise:
    - Some of the thumbnail don't show how awesome the work is. The riptide is the best example. But overall see if you can improve thumbnails.
    - Your logo is chaotic. This is a choice for you if you want to keep it like this or not. But it reads difficult and not very pro. It can use some love ;)
    - The 'various models' project is too diverse. As a viewer I don't know what I am going to find there, and once I was there it was still unclean what I am supposed to see and focus on.
    - Going back to the home/portfolio page is not always obvious. There are two clicks needed if you go through the menu.
    - Perhaps rename 'about' to 'resume' or something else? It feels to generic.
    - Make sure you have your contact information (email and/or phone) on all pages.

Goodluck! you got some awesome models!
  • Moltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks so much for your feed back guys.  Im now working on improvements

• Moltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    Here is an update based on the feedback you guys gave me.  Unfortunately I am not able to clean some of the textures up on certain models because my GPU is not working well in Substance painter.

If there is anything else you think I should do, please let me know. 

http://robertmccallister.com/

P.S I have limited options while using carbonmade.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    "highly Motivated self-taught 3D artist" should be reworded to "Environment/Prop/HardSurface Artist"|

The former is not a position people are hiring for nor explicitly looking for.  Make the search clearer for others.

I'm liking it.  Nice presentation.  Strong pieces.
  • Moltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    "highly Motivated self-taught 3D artist" should be reworded to "Environment/Prop/HardSurface Artist"|

The former is not a position people are hiring for nor explicitly looking for.  Make the search clearer for others.
    To be honest, I agree with you here.  I never thought to change it due to others not mentioning it, so naturally I assumed it was fine :)

i was told by a few Artists that leads like reading "self taught"  It shows drive an motivation to achieve (and do well based on your works) without the aid of a university program.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Self-taught is nice, but keep that to biographies, description paragraphs, etc.