• xxroxx
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    Smoothed muscles and detailing face:

x6sBYnH.jpg
  • Tripl3M
    Offline / Send Message
    Tripl3M polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah im alive .. just lazy and my p6200 and intel hd graphics cant handle too much polygons xD , so i am trying to copy the witcher 3 chain mails style ... its just the chainmail with a black background .. or should i use a transparency map ?

maxresdefault.jpg

T.jpg

B.jpg
  • xxroxx
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    I think it would look better with a transparent background, but if you think about it, it's a piece of armor and knights/soldiers had to endure weather and stuff, so underneath this piece would probably be a shirt or some sort of sweater.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 7
    Unless you make chainmail bikini armor and you want it to be see through. :P
  • xxroxx
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    Started detailing my troll's face. Next to do are the finer details.

49hCtpV.jpg
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work gents, cloth/bag/-semi-hat/shoulder updates.

Yes pyr those are them, just not so flappy, thanks. ;)
    Nice trip, i watched a few vids of witcher they got some nice work going on with the gear, good inspiration.

Update:
    the cloth is digital at the green bits in-case people don't see the floating ones and zeros that glide across the sheets.
    If I import this into unreal to learn it, uhg, then I would make it animated, anyone is welcome to beat me to that of course, cats out the bag. ;)
    Thinking of spending the remainder of the time on the backpack, seems it will be a bit problematic with colors. Got to figure it out.

The image included is my final thanks guys.. can't wait to see your stuff.
  • Mr.Moose
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 4
    @xxrox I think your fingers feel a bit too long/thin unlike the trolls stumpy fingers?
    @lotet Holy crap drooling over your rendition of the troll!

HOW DO I DO HAAAAAIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ARIm9vN.png
  • jacob thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 5
    @Mr.Moose Great start on the texturing. Throwing some yellows and purples into the skin would give it a little more life.
    As for hair, planes and patience is how I do it. It helps to make a alpha texture before placing them so you can visualise more easily.
    DavidCruz - Damn dude, you finished already! You should spend the extra time working on presentation! Great job getting over the line in the timeframe.
    @Tripl3M - I like it better with the solid backing as well.
    @xxroxx - Keep pluggin away man. Push those forms.

So many crashes today, lost all of my fur... twice!
    Some hair updates and wraps.
    4DfpMin.jpg
  • KingTomislav
    Offline / Send Message
    KingTomislav polycounter lvl 4
    Great work everyone. My troll is done. Rendered in blender cycles zLJg41T.jpg?1
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet quad damage
    WOw, so much awesome stuff coming up lately :)

I made a Marmoset viewer file If people wanna check out. not happy with the hair so I removed it for now :/
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/forest-troll-ec5519ee-47ea-4448-a072-474806eb19c2
    (cant get the embed to work properly though :()
    UYKiZP0.png
  • jacob thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    @KingTomislav - Great render! He is a little dark though, some rim lights would really amke him pop.
    @lotet - Question bout his fur... it looks like you made them using metalness workflow... Is there a reason for that?
    Bring on the hair man, you gotta finish!

I had a marathon session today placing hair planes and re-topoing like mad. I was hoping I could get all my lows done and still have 2 days to texture. But I failed. I concede defeat, I will still finish, but it will be later than the deadline.

Heres my wires from this session, he is sitting at ~17k (5k in hair planes!)
    Pm9ZUyK.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    So many awesome trolls #_# Great job guys.

More or less clean test-bake of the body piece. But I'm just so tired of this >_<" Not to mention I'd need BIG texture map sheet for this to look nice... So, see you folks next month <_<' I hope. I'm calling mine done as a sculpt.
    jldxILq.png

ZBRUSH SCULPTS
    yhQEk2v.jpg
    tOrmvYZ.jpg
  • doomprodigy
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    Tripl3M wrote: »
    Yeah im alive .. just lazy and my p6200 and intel hd graphics cant handle too much polygons xD , so i am trying to copy the witcher 3 chain mails style ... its just the chainmail with a black background .. or should i use a transparency map ?

I did some similar chain mail to Witicher 3 in a project I've been working on. I did it by baking out a tillable image of the rings. Tiling it a tonne on a map. Then arranging UVs on it and painting in some muddy spots \ areas of wear. Then used a pretty strong black/white image for the spec and gloss () convert norm to AO then curves adjustment) and a dark grey albedo. You can check out my result in my thread (found in signature)

Your rings a pretty large at the moment by the looks.

Looking great guys, shame I couldn't get in on this month.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d quad damage
    Pyr before you sign off on the sculpt I would go over and do an Hpolish pass and tighten up those edges as they are too soft at the moment.

tTnevo4.jpg

Also have a look into the corners of the mouth and just under (the "pillars" of the mouth) https://www.pinterest.com/pin/323837029432358828/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/323837029432340662/

otherwise its looking good, especially the gloves and the detailing on the shoulderpads
  • Tripl3M
    Offline / Send Message
    convert norm to AO

Wait .. you can convert normal maps to AO ?? a huge time saver .. how ??

And im ready for baking .. done with retopology ~20k poly and organizing subtools (which was a pain in the ass :| ) and i will texture tomorrow .. it would be done by the end of tomorrow i hope.

ZBrush%20Document.jpg
  • KingTomislav
    Offline / Send Message
    jstyles3d your topology looks good to me. Al do, those rings and bones, and shield on the arm could be done with much less polygons, and used alpha maps if necessary...

Your advice on rim light was very valuable to me. It may sound ridiculous, but i was actually shocked today when i went to look tutorials abut lighting, how complex the subject is, and how poor my current understanding of it is. Im a self learner, started learning 3D from scratch alone 6 months ago. By watching free tutorials and live streams, and by reading forums. I learned to use Blender, Zbrush, Photoshop, Mudbox, and 3ds Max (at least retopology and UV unvraping in MAX so far). I had to learn sculpting also from scratch, al do, i have to be fair and say that i did some amateur drawings with pencil, mostly of human faces before, and that for sure helped me to be able to sculpt decently in short learning period of time... And basically with all that information my brain processed in only 6 months, i skipped one of most important chapters, and that is light. I did some rim lights now in photoshop, but im sure they are not perfect:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/forest-troll-27612b29-e779-4007-9807- e7f156ff0157

• nGreenroad
    Offline / Send Message
    nGreenroad polycounter lvl 4
    Lotet: I'm in the same position with the hair. I'm still working on making the alphas look right for the moss. I like your take on the concept very much.

Here's where I'm at. I don't know if I'll be done before the deadline of tomorrow. So much texture refining to do. I'm not happy with the materials yet. Any tips on how to improve these materials?
    iEYmZty.jpg
    Y2l9OGD.jpg
  • chudork
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 6
    so many have finished/almost finished? awesome stuff all:), I probably wont make the deadline:(

low poly update, accessories the UV next

T5i0PrR.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet quad damage
    So about how I did the hair and fur, since some people asked:
    the highpoly is basicly a sculpted hair strand that I made an insert brush with, and then just plopped it out there, for the lowpoly I just dynameshed and decimated the highpoly version.

as for the lowpoly, its using the marmoset microfiber shader with a touch of metalness for a darker spec. I actually think it turned out pretty well, and would probably have looked great with my "standard" more hand painted style, but with the textures from substance painter everything else turned out a bit more pixar and a bit less world of warcract :/ So Im probably gonna gonna redo it at some point using hairplanes, but for now Im just gonna leave it as it is.
    xGCv8KO.png

I think im gonna let this guy rest for a while, dont have the energy to redo the hair atm :/
  • nGreenroad
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, final submission before the deadline. I still need to do the fur alphas for the pelt and boots, as well as the little bits of vine poking out. I'm trying to find a more efficient way of card placement. Do you guys have any tips?

ZUvGZ0X.jpg
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa nice updates all Going to post my final first then get to comments after

itJN6jl.jpg
    [ame]

Silly mood setting music all in good fun. ;)

jstyles3d:
    Yea thanks for the boost, I ran into some physical probs and took a day (to game and relax) after that post and decided to work on it again.

Yea I ran into issues also with a few things sucks to hear but at least you'll finish it, can't wait for the update.

:) I'll keep checking the thread for it or a post from you. Looks amazing all those hair planes I dread that hair stuff.

Pyr:
    She's a beauty, I agree with the smoothed comments those areas could use more loving otherwise great job.

Trip, Chu:
    GO gO GO !

lotet:
    Still love that pixar/3D animation look he got, colors work so well together. Really hope to see more of that guy when you get around to it.

nGreen:
    Wow that Hair/fur looks amazing to me well done, I don't play with hair, that might have to be the next thing for me, I fear it tbh. One day I have to try at least.

Update:
    Well i managed to pull this out my butt.
    Like i said above, I ran into RL issues and felt like crap, then I found some motivation again.

I am so totally glad i actually got the scene in there, so super happy once I saw that the idea I had for the rain worked out, that is all in marmoset and none of it is photoshop :) so freaking excited and happy, woot. (super koolaid smile)

Not going to lie I tried earlier to do the rain and was defeated, then the back of my mind was thinking of a way to do it and boom, that was today btw.

Anyway onto the model, I tried to make it work out with the over all design and also try to keep it at least to a similar color scheme as the concept. So majority of it is Brown and Orange, I found a cool way to use the orange :) and decided to mix it around so it all worked out together.

It all still needs more work as I want to make it one of the best pieces, I know it might not look great to everyone else but I love this little guy.

Amazing concepts, amazing challenge and I enjoyed it thoroughly ladies and gents. Hope to enter more and hope to see all the entrants finish theirs.

Any questions Comments, Critiques are very welcome.
    Texture previews added will make more images a turn around vid prob and anything else it needs, so total time is around 20-25+ days, scene was done all today.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pav3d Thanks man. I hope I got the mouth corner thing right.

@chudork I like it ! Lowpoly looks very solid. GJ on that.

@lotet With your art style, I think mesh hair looks much better than hair planes :) Love your art direction with this !

@nGreenroad Sorry I don't know much about fur/hair alpha/planes either. As you can see, I'm still working on it myself too :) I think you got his beard planes intersecting a bit, but otherwise he looks pretty good there !

@DavidCruz So much badass in there :P

I did continue working on the bevels and sharper armor edges :P Did hardsurface on a few pieces.
    Color schemes.... kinda... weird... I like it, but it's weird LOL!!
    8o0I0QD.jpg
    rr2WyMr.jpg
    WRhgS3V.jpg
  • suspectlogic
    Offline / Send Message
    suspectlogic polycounter lvl 8
    Tripl3M: i like the chain mail forGeralt, it's clean and although it's application is a bit different, what lies underneath the chain mail is never all that visible in most cases. I think it's an artistic choice that's usually made to avoid visual noise of overlapping high frequency details
    *shrug*

PyrZern: looking better! just keep working more polishing on the hard surface components.
  • suspectlogic
    Offline / Send Message
    lovin the trolls!

Last everybody heard from me, i was attempting to make leather armor while learning marvelous designer, and while i learned a lot, I wasn't able to salvage much else from than the under garments and chain mail base mesh ...

Right now I'm taking some time to hard surface model some of the armor components, while I'm positive I won't finish by the deadline, I'll still do my best :)

here's the pauldron progress:

0Cp8PfZ.jpg
  • Tripl3M
    Offline / Send Message
    @suspectlogic awesome ! Cool pauldrons .. I thought that I'll finish but I'm still baking .... 63 subtool at 8k for each :(
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message

0Cp8PfZ.jpg

That is BEAUTIFUL !
  • Jaywyr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaywyr null
    @jstyles3d : Ty for feedback, I refined so so his proportion, he looks like more stocky ^^
    I don't like the shield on his right soulder, so i put a deer skull :)

TCg3jKx.jpg

I mixed the character design with The Witcher's troll
  • jacob thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Uber post warning.

@Jaywyr - Nice! I much prefer these proportions. He is looking really good at this stage. I would watch the area where his bicep attaches to his body, looks very odd. I hope you keep working on him and finish it. I also really like your work on the loin cloth.

@nGreenroad - Renders are looking really nice, I think you can just push the material definition a little further and his skin could use some more colour variation and lose some of the glossy wet look.
    His pupils also seem really small.
    As for placing hair, component mode move tool and patience!

@DavidCruz - Nice work man! Cool pose too. That vehicle is awesome, I want one!

@lotet - I'm with Pyr, the chunky hair suits this dudes vibe just fine.

@PyrZern - Some of them details are off the chain. Shame you didnt get around to baking, would have been cool to see all the detail in some sweet sweet normals.

For the record here is where I got to.
    Low poly 90% complete, only braids and loin cloth remaining.

Sculpt is still requiring a final detail pass which I will reserve for after projecting the new lows.
    As a bonus, here is a little skin test I was toying around with in toolbag, not finished with it, but I'll be heading down this sort of path once we get to the painting part.

Are there any rules with necro-ing threads after the inital month is up? I'll def be working on this for another week or so, would be cool to be able to post here for more feedbacks.

Anyway, pics...

0QX51iZ.jpg

Q2P8Gp3.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    It's fine to keep working/posting on this. Someone still updated on last month's thread :P
  • Joshua Whitaker
    I suffered a family tragedy this passed week my grandmother passed. So I won't be making the deadline unfortunately. I am still working on my troll and will be posting it once I am satisfied with it. I am teaching myself a brand new method for hair currently used in the Witcher, I plan to create and informative tutorial for others to use. Great work everyone I so do appreciate any advice you have given me on this project. In the mean time I plan on jumping in on the next months character who's with me!?
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    lRJWzYZ.jpg Refined the ugly scene :) today, this will be my last update on this thread but i will keep posting C&C if anyone updates.

RAW RENDER VIDEO (300MB Turn around) to see the full quality and not a degraded youtube upload.
    =/ I am such a silly ass with the music i put in it. :) Also looks like it is actually raining in the rotation :) neat trix.

Joshua:
    Sorry to hear the sad news, hope all is well otherwise.
    On a slightly brighter note I can't wait for your tutorial! :)

Jstyles:
    Nice textures the hair is looking good, I will be watching the thread for updates. :)

Jay:
    Nice lol he has a hunchback of notre dame look to him. :)

Suspect:
    Those are nice shoulders!
    Can't wait for more updates.

Tvym PyrZern :), them colors doe ;).
    Look up complimentary colors if you want to sort out a good color scheme but do what you enjoy. :)
    Looking forward to them updates.

I see a new one (July) started already. :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet quad damage
    @DavidCruz - You should really make a simple render with just the robot wearing the hat n coat to complement the one you got now.
  • KingTomislav
    Offline / Send Message
    nGreenroad i like your sculpt, its very good. You did hair good to, i like how each of us took diferent approach on the troll.
    PyrZern I like your woman :). Im still rookie with hard surface stuff, i think you did a nice job there on the armor pieces. I will do that Shieldmaster on july challenge, im aiming to improve my hard surface modeling there. Do you have some tips for me, to help me going there faster?
    Joshua Whitaker im sorry to hear about your grandmother. Im looking forward to your tutorial, hair is a big struggle to all of us. Any improvement on that subject is more then welcome.

Great work everyone, see you on july's challenge :)

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    @DavidCruz - You should really make a simple render with just the robot wearing the hat n coat to complement the one you got now.

Yea I can do that, I guess. New pose or not? I am new to this posing game, I did one before I made this, (what I thought was simpler) pose that I went with.
    Included is the first pose attempt, it was him jumping of the backpack holding onto his hat and the bits and pieces flying about.
    Didn't work out cause once you split the subtools it destroys the uv's, since i used zbrush to pose him, I tried a bunch of ways to salvage but just redid it with the splitting is bad in mind..

I made the one I currently have because it sort of replicates the entire concept scene. Also thought the rain was cool.:poly136:
  • nGreenroad
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaywyr: I like the hanging pouches from his bandolier a lot!

DavidCruz: That fact that his entire backpack opens is pretty badass. Lookin good.

Here is my final shot, starting on this months after a cup of coffee:)

Sm0v52J.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @KingTomislav Bring next month's discussion to next month's thread :P

@nGreenroad Applause for finishing it ^^
  • suspectlogic
    Offline / Send Message
    jstyles3d: The skin is coming along well, I think he'd have more superficial veins with that body type? I'll still continue posting as my character still isn't finished:)

I'm playing with the helmet a little, modifying some of the design for the bird crown. I felt like I hit a bit of a rut but I'm pushing through it.

WyqOPGh.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Feels a bit like an eagle. I don't know much about birds, though :P
    Still liking it a lot nonetheless.
  • Jaywyr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaywyr null
    Hello dude can you help me for the arm topology pls

47PvtIi.jpg

I need to know if I'm on the good way.

Thanks
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »

I finally got around to doing it, was thinking about it for a bit but didn't know when to attempt it and i managed to do it today. Off the top pose 1st worked out great, guess I was pre-planning in my head.

No updates to anything other than pose, though i sort of want to touch up the textures more.

Anyway just updating because lotet suggested a certain pose and i decided to spam my screenshot button, so lotet if you feel like it comment at artstation or here.

Link:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/robosam-textwip
    ^I fixed the title but i guess it doesn't update the html link, oh well.
    Sry for the bump.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet quad damage
    good job, presentation is really important, it can elevate or kill a piece.
    its a lot better, here are some though for your next piece.

I would recommend either spend more time on your backgrounds in the future, or make something a lot simpler so you dont have to spend time on it. right now its a bit in between. remember that your not making an illustration, but a 3d model :)

Personally I prefer the really simple presentations. ---> random model i found on artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/cute-killer-bot
    its just the character standing there on a studio like clean background not doing anything fancy.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks yea i could have done more, clouds in the background and the mist type flooring with puddles. Was really my first "scene", "pedestal" turn around environment for a character.

Since this was in marmoset I thought it was pretty good, i also never did a scene before I got lucky with the rain, it was the hardest for me to wrap my head around since i also never made glass material before.

Good points though I agree with a plain bg works best, i felt it was worth trying something with the time i had and pushing myself across a lot of different aspects of game art. Just to see what I forgot since this was the 2nd character I made after a year off.

Trying to get back into the swing of things I will keep the critics in mind for the next project, though I think I might just go back to my hand painted since i find a bit more enjoyment out of that then the normal map route. The semi longer time frame on the texturing is what I enjoyed about it, if anyone reading is wondering why.

I was thinking of sharing the process for the rain scene don't know if anyone is interested.
  • rawrtoo
    Offline / Send Message
    rawrtoo polycounter lvl 3
    Hello guys,
    I know this is really late but I got some emergency stuff back then and could not make it within the month.

Finally I have complete the character and wish I could share it here with everyone whoever give me wonder support! :)

Final_render.jpg

Render2.jpg

Render_wireframe.jpg

Render_highres_sculpt.jpg

Render_texture_showcase.jpg

Sorry for the late submission, WIP will be post if requested. :)

Thanks to everyone that provide wonderful comment and the awesome concept art done by the respective artist! :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it !!! Great job not only finish it, but I think this looks pretty dang close to the concept too ! Kudo to you man.

I hereby request your WIPS :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet quad damage
    @rawrtoo
    Yeah, I agree with PyerZern, great job!
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice looks just like him, :) glad to see you finished it.
  • rawrtoo
    Offline / Send Message
    rawrtoo polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you so much guys! :) Those are wonderful supports. :poly142:

I've also attached my WIPs.