Home Contests & Challenges Archives Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Oilystool's Workshop

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
So instead of making an individual thread about a weapon,I figure I'd keep things simple and all in one thread. This is what I am currently working on, I thought a Halberd would be a cool weapon to take a stab at....

17219558858_c9f072020b_h.jpg

The original has a concave,angular look and I wanted to make an curvy,axe like halberd. This is what I have so far on the high poly, but will make the rest of the pole soon along with the low poly. I think on the blade ill go for a little be of acid etched engravings,to make it a little more interesting. I hope it's look does not confuse it with the pole axe,but I hope the fact they are wielded by different classes wont require that distinction.

Replies

• JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So I was supposed to be working on a Halberd (which ill work on tonight) but I took the wrong USB stick and could not work on it. Instead I made a weapon skin I have been rolling around my head for awhile. Its a weapon skin for the cudgel used by archers. Its basically a mallet,which is used by an archer to hammer in stakes to the ground prior to the battle. I put it up earlier yesterday but quickly decided to rework the colors a bit as well as some minor mesh changes.

Its a simple weapon but exactly the sort of blunt weapon I could see an archer carrying on the battlefield.

What do you guys think? too simplistic of a weapon?

16924225634_c4d6d555fb_h.jpg

17544520982_c641b1328c_z.jpg

16924225344_89703d4bb8_z.jpg

16924224804_c46316e527_z.jpg

17359189100_6306d250f3_z.jpg

Made a video of it in action as well.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUzdQ04Kmwo[/ame]

The best part of the video!

https://youtu.be/xUzdQ04Kmwo?t=2m30s
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, it may work. Maybe just increase contrast between wood and leather stripes on handle.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Zelfit wrote: »
    Yeah, it may work. Maybe just increase contrast between wood and leather stripes on handle.

You mean like darkening the wood?
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So thats what the high poly of the Halberd is looking like.

17559696082_af0c7c0c6f_h.jpg
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Lol, if my arch enemy wielded a mallet and killed me with it, i feel like i would have to kill myself again.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thane- wrote: »
    Lol, if my arch enemy wielded a mallet and killed me with it, i feel like i would have to kill myself again.

Yeah the weapon is supposed to be tongue in cheek. A bit humiliating if you get killed by it.
  • sordelko
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Quick update to what I am working for, so far I am on the diffuse,but feedback would be lovely. But you can kinda get an idea the look I am going for. Dark wooden pole, with an axe head and the blades of the axe have acid etched patterns as decoration. Dont really own Z brush so I just made all of the decorative engravings in photoshop and I will add it to the normals as well.

17593909802_a08580c674_o.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So,got an early start this morning and I finished all of the textures for my Halberd excluding the bloodmask which comes now.

I am pretty happy about the result and soon it will be on the workshop,once I find the time.

17624929825_43aafedf6d_o.jpg

17624978151_ba6172b7ba_h.jpg

17437077598_8988c42e7d_h.jpg

EdIt: Now it's up on the website!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=442397769&searchtext=
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    JO420 wrote: »
    Quick update to what I am working for, so far I am on the diffuse,but feedback would be lovely. But you can kinda get an idea the look I am going for. Dark wooden pole, with an axe head and the blades of the axe have acid etched patterns as decoration. Dont really own Z brush so I just made all of the decorative engravings in photoshop and I will add it to the normals as well.

17593909802_a08580c674_o.jpg

Wanted to give some feedback when I saw it first, but you are too fast :D
    You might still wanna hear it.
    I wouldn't add any directional light into the diffuse map when using normal map (or similar).
    The angel of the edges look a bit steep especially on the tip.

But the finished model is great, nice job! Especially the etching.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Prime8 wrote: »
    Wanted to give some feedback when I saw it first, but you are too fast :D
    You might still wanna hear it.
    I wouldn't add any directional light into the diffuse map when using normal map (or similar).
    The angel of the edges look a bit steep especially on the tip.

But the finished model is great, nice job! Especially the etching.

Late but still appreciated :) I work in quick spurts due to time considerations but I appreciate the feed back. The highlights on the diffuse I lowered after getting it I to the editor . I like to add those sort of highlights in the diffuse to bring out details. In Torn Banners UDK,after you create your materials using their weapon master may ,the highlights get lost when you take into account the spec and evironment map effects. For the blade I assume the area you mean the area were the blade begins to taper ,that perhaps could have been done better,but it doesn't detract from the final look so I'll have to keep it in mind next time around. Thanks for the feedback,I appreciate it.
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Great job, looking forward to see what you're doing next.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thane- wrote: »
    Great job, looking forward to see what you're doing next.

Thanks a lot Thane, next up is either a Morning Star for the MAA or a Bardiche.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So to changes things up a bit, I figured it was time to make a Man At Arms weapon. So instead of a sword, I though a blunt weapon would be fun. After looking around,I did not find any different looking Morning Stars, they are all basically a ball,on a stick with spikes. So the one part of the weapon I figured I could change was the shape of the ball. Which I made more of a prism with spokes along it. It will be all metal with a leather strap.

Any thoughts or C&C?

17144573374_091bec656c_o.jpg
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Looks good to me, except the tip though.
    Just looks fragile as if it would brake off, which it probably wouldn't in real.
    I would probably cut the top of the prism and put the same spike as the others or making the prism itself pointy.
    The spikes a bit longer maybe, to make it a little more different from a mace.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good to me, except the tip though.
    Just looks fragile as if it would brake off, which it probably wouldn't in real.
    I would probably cut the top of the prism and put the same spike as the others or making the prism itself pointy.
    The spikes a bit longer maybe, to make it a little more different from a mace.

Thanks for the feedback Pime8, I will kill the tip and just sharpen the end of the prism and as for the spikes ill consider it,i like the idea of sturdy looking spike so will see.

Post an update tonight :)
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Quick update, killed the flimsy looking spike in the end,extended and sharpened the top a bit. Got all the light bakes and normals, currently working the diffuse, so the render below is to give you an idea of color scheme. Diffuse probably has a little too many light lights at present,but thats something I adjust once the spec has been created and its in game,with normals and their weapon shader added.

17243737224_ac6183a089_o.jpg
  • JO420
  • zombojoe
    Offline / Send Message
    zombojoe polycounter lvl 6
    I really like how it turned out, great job.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    zombojoe wrote: »
    I really like how it turned out, great job.

Thanks a lot . I think I might be slowing down with these. Might be I need a break and chill out with the arms making.
  • elwebbaro
    Offline / Send Message
    elwebbaro polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah you went kinda crazy the last couple weeks! But great results overall.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Little late comment on the morning star.
    Much better with the new tip, just the texture gives an impression that the spikes are disconnected from the head (prism).

A rest is well deserved! :)
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    @Elwebbaro Thank you,it has been rather busy these last few weeks.

@Prime8 What do you suggest i do to make the spikes look more integrated to the prism??
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    You could extend the etching onto the spikes, or make a bigger gap between spike and etching and or add dirt in at the seams.
    The spikes seem to be darker as well, but might just be the lighting.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    You could extend the etching onto the spikes, or make a bigger gap between spike and etching and or add dirt in at the seams.
    The spikes seem to be darker as well, but might just be the lighting.

Thanks for the feedback , ill take your feedback and makes changes when I can,sadly the files are at work and I'm at home sick at the moment,so it will be awhile.

In the mean time, I began making helmets and here is my first submission to the Workshop. I took the Halberd I made, and created a similar styled helmet to go along with it.

18153593002_064a6464ea_k.jpg

17536566383_146d4c4eba_h.jpg

18158280211_d8f8930691_h.jpg
  • GRAT0R
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    GRAT0R wrote: »
    I love it!

Thank a lot Grator.

To everybody else,I hope nobody on the forums here thinks I do not value their feedback. It may seem like I move fast when making this stuff. But its only because I normally make weapons when I have the time. The first time, during the competition I had 3 weeks of teaching away from home,so I had 3 weeks of free time at night. And currently my wife is really busy because she is a teacher and until school ends in a few days. Its unlikely Ill have the time I have now.

I really appreciate all of the feedback I get from you guys and I feel inspired by all the great work produced here,which has fueled me to make cool looking stuff,in the little time I have.
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I really like the helmet. I think the slight purple is a great choice. Is the center nose section and the top metal frame piece look too blurry maybe? Maybe that is just the lighting but they seem to lack tangible detail despite the fact that it looks like you put effort there. Or maybe thats what you're going for, a smooth look that looks great from farther away (aka normal viewing distances). In contrast, for example, this helmet from Justin Dewey working on a Skyrim mod:

tumblr_n6xz5d3xow1tbq1lto1_1280.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback Thane, I changed the smoothing groups a tad to show the nose guard more prominently and also strengthed the normals in those two areas as well so it displays a little more crisply.

Changed the images above to reflect that.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    You are fortunate that you can do this stuff at your work and while sick at home :D

One comment on the helmet, at the backside the mirrored textures are quite visible and there is a seam. Another reinforcement bar straight down in the center could help with that.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Well not during work hours off course :) Thanks for the pick up,ill add then when I have a chance.

You are fortunate that you can do this stuff at your work and while sick at home :D

One comment on the helmet, at the backside the mirrored textures are quite visible and there is a seam. Another reinforcement bar straight down in the center could help with that.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Quick update to what I am workimg on. A bucket helmet for the Mason Knight. Will be a set along with a weapon time permitting.

18203716060_42e85128f8_k.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So this is what I have so far with low poly and materials, I think I will tweak the colors and the intensity of the spec a bit before I call it done. I am still debating in what form I will add this to the workshop. Either as a set or alone.

18423970681_5e5f453b1f_o.jpg

18220662789_c781a3e69c_o.jpg

18410247055_e988f02ae3_o.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So my new set is up on the shop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454792721

I combined the new helmet along with my Grand Mace weapon. I believe Mason doesnt have a GM weapon skin, so it seemed to make the most sense to comine the two.

18443036185_182281f33c_o.jpg

18423970681_5e5f453b1f_o.jpg

T
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    This is what I am working on at the moment, an Irish Gallowglass sword. Weapon skin for the claymore. This one is clocking at 2750 tris.

18648911301_bd60c291a2_o.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Aside from the bloodmask and some small diffuse and material changes,I'd say im just about done.

18635774436_c2f9542e2f_o.jpg

18657384382_1f75cc76ce_o.jpg

18475902019_8f75a768b5_o.jpg
  • GRAT0R
    That is a very nice piece!! My only crit is that the fuller could end in a more narrow and natural way but that's just a minnor complain. I would defenitly buy this man, great job!!
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    That is a very nice piece!! My only crit is that the fuller could end in a more narrow and natural way but that's just a minnor complain. I would defenitly buy this man, great job!!

Thanks for the feedback GRATOR,i'm note sure I follow what you mean however.

The weapon is on the workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=459021181

18696939791_9acddba0f4_o.jpg

18506813578_270f9e71c0_o.jpg
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    I think he wanted to make bevel part more narrow:
    0706ff1bf67c03da28fab8ac500b977a.png

Not sure about that, i like current width
  • GRAT0R
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh ok. Yeah fair enough it probably could have been more narrower. I hate when I miss little things like that.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    This is what is next for me. A helmet of that style,I think ill make a set for Agatha, that includes a helmet like that and my Sword of War.

912e0328a2c006d74db9532694d8cb0f.jpg

4b1b0274bd3e99cc3aae409bf838b58b.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Nice, cant wait to see your progress
  • GRAT0R
    I found out that doing this kind of helmets for the vanilla chiv knights is really hard because the mail hood falls over the lower part of the face so the characters don't really have neck or chin and it becomes quite hard to build a helmet like this arround it.
    Can't wait too see whatever comes out from you!
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    You mean so it doesn't clip at the shoulders? What I'm doing is altering the bottom of the helmet so it tapers giving it more room. I think once I made the low ill pop it in game and test to see if it clips.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I found out that doing this kind of helmets for the vanilla chiv knights is really hard because the mail hood falls over the lower part of the face so the characters don't really have neck or chin and it becomes quite hard to build a helmet like this arround it.
    Can't wait too see whatever comes out from you!

Thanks for the heads up, pardon the pun :) I tried my initial design and it came with major clipping. So i adjusted and cut down quite a bit and this is the basic shape ill be going with.

18149875853_99e588c37e_o.jpg

I tried it on the Agatha Knight and it worked pretty well,no major clipping to be seen.

More soon to come
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Here is my high poly so far,still have some definition to the helmet,as well as bolts and such. The design mind you,is not an exact copy of the picture i posted,but the pointy visor look is what I wanted to do with this helmet.

18769891012_b2d679a17d_o.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Morning guys, put the helmet/set on the workshop. Over the weekend I was thinking maybe the helmet is too plain, but after I put it on the workshop the reception has been very positive,so maybe I leave it as it is. What do you guys think?

18633543400_d2ee487dbe_o.jpg

18635085159_0bb0b39274_b.jpg

18633475168_afac1ae966_b.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    that came out pretty well!
    good stuff
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you Dylan, I'm happy with it too. I gonna tweak a few things and call it done.