Home Technical Talk

3DCoat Mega Thread

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

Dear Friends,

In the light of the upcoming Holiday season, please accept our best wishes of Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! May inspiration and creativity abide with you! Have a great holiday time and a blessed next year!

By tradition, we are happy to offer you our special Christmas discount! Starting from 10:00 AM (EET) on December 21 until 23:59 PM (EET) on January 9, 2017 we are offering $100 off on 3D-Coat Professional and the $20 discount on the Amateur license, therefore lowering the standard prices to $279 and $79 accordingly. Check out the Buy page to make use of this special discount. Happy holidays!

http://3dcoat.com/buy/

Faithfully Yours,

Pilgway team

Replies

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    main-v4.1.jpg

The latest version of 3D-Coat is officially released with big improvements and new features in all areas.

Some of the biggest improvements include

• Specular blending modes.
    • Split & Joints Tool - easily cut off part of the model and simultaneously create a socket-type joint so 3D printed parts can be reassembled after printing.
    • Gizmo for 2D grid and overlay images.
    • Lathe function in Primitive objects.
    • 3D splines for making selections on an object.
    • All new Global Uniform method for UV unwrapping in addition to the previous ABF and LSCM methods.
    • And much more!

For a full list of the new features and improvements click here:
    http://3d-coat.com/3d-coat-41/

Of course the update is free for current 3D-Coat v4 owners, but if you don't already own it you can try it unrestricted for 30 days for free. Either way you can download it here.
    http://www.3d-coat.com/download/
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    looking good!

well lets test it, i stopped using 4 because of that HUGE spacebar menu in retopo, before in 3.5+ it was such a nice small text based menu which could be grasped with one look, everything was sorted vertically. Now it is a huuuuuuge bloated something that goes vertically and horizontally and gets me searching for functions all the time :/
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This looks really impressive - I love how all the new tools seem to be very controllable. Can't wait to give it a spin. Congrats on what seems to be an awesome release !!
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    neox, one question. Please look at

Edit
    Preferences
    General Tab

Do you have

Hide Left tool panel = ON ?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i have the left panel, but i am talking about the spacebar panel, i don't want to move all over the screen for a function i want minimum mouse/pen movement, thats why i stood with the older version.
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    http://3d-coat.com/news/merry-christmas/

We wish you a marvellous Christmas and a Happy New Year!

sale_banner03_01.jpg
    Dear Friends,
    In the light of upcoming Holiday season Pilgway studio is happy to announce a special Christmas discount on 3D-Coat V4 running from December 19 till December 31, 2014. This is your once-per-year chance to buy 3D-Coat at a great discount of $100 USD! Check out the official 3D-Coat website for further details: http://3d-coat.com/buy-now/
    Wishing you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Sincerely yours,
    Pilgway team

banner2.jpg

http://vimeo.com/113644838
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Hey Carlosan,

I still have a 3dcoat 3.x license and I was recently looking to upgrade. Any chance of a discount since the upgrade cost is still $99?
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi CheeseOnToast !
    We will make 79$ for the upgrade V3 to V4 during the sale

Check out the official 3D-Coat website for further details: http://3d-coat.com/buy-now/

For STEAM users there is a 25%
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/100980/www.3d-coat.com

http://vimeo.com/114071169
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Thanks a lot guys. Very kind of you.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    75 bucks? it's upgrade time for me as well!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Wooot, awesome.
    And that PBR Material in 4.5 looks nice too.
  • bounchfx
    oh man, incredible deal. I just upgraded a month ago for twice that! doh!

no regrets!! :D
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Played with the PBR in the beta build linked on their forums. The brush engine with PBR is very very very well done. Probably the best feeling PBR painting app yet. The way it blends materials allows for some really nice effects.

Substance Painter is going have to meet, match or surpass this brush engine if it wants to rank up on the painting side of things. Now if only 3d coat had Painter's modern UI clever layer system. If 3D Coat ends up getting substance support... thats tough.
  • Michael Knubben
    Dataday: Substance support is one of the top user requests, so let's hope it happens! Competition between the two packages can only benefit the users, and I love seeing them both innovate. It's not a race to copy each others features, they both have unique things on offer and are affordable, awesome options.

Personally I can't see myself switch to Painter soon, I'm so used to 3dCoat, but I own it and can see it supplementing my work in 3DC.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Dataday: Substance support is one of the top user requests, so let's hope it happens! Competition between the two packages can only benefit the users, and I love seeing them both innovate. It's not a race to copy each others features, they both have unique things on offer and are affordable, awesome options.

Personally I can't see myself switch to Painter soon, I'm so used to 3dCoat, but I own it and can see it supplementing my work in 3DC.

I agree, but if 3d coat get's substance support, it will be a hard sell for Painter unless painter get further features that really make it stand out. I still love painter though, it just needs a good brush engine and tools for painting textures in a more artistic way.

Cant help but wish 3d coat had Painter's streamline UI design and export method. A lot in 3D Coat seems to get lost in convoluted design... but its painting tools are top notch along side its Retopo work.

When you start using Modo, most of the appeal of 3d coat goes out the window, which leaves it with good texturing and thats about it...maybe better sculpting, but I am not sold on that particular area yet. Modo feels better via sculpting, but nothing yet seems to replace Zbrush.

Still... with the PBR capability, its going to lead the pack in terms of actual painting capability. Just have to decide if its worth it for just that. I kind of hate and both love that we have so many options to pick from, hopefully the competition really drives the innovation.
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Just 1 day to go before the end of 3D-Coat Christmas sales.

3D-Coat's new PBR Materials
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Is 3DCoat worth it as both an Edu license even with its limitations and also is it worth getting if you already have Substance Painter?
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain wrote: »
    Is 3DCoat worth it as both an Edu license even with its limitations and also is it worth getting if you already have Substance Painter?

It was personally a tough choice, but I ended up picking up a copy (upgrade from edu version), and I own Substance Painter. The reasoning is that we dont know if and when Painter will implement a better brush system, tools or workflow for that particular area. 3d-Coat has always been impressive for the hand painted texture stuff, and that same natural feeling can be found with the PBR materials.

The interface is still convoluted, and I find some parts of the application lacking... but when it comes to the texture painting its pretty damn good. If you wait it out though, other painting solutions might catch up.
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't Jerc or another Allegorithmic person say in a thread they're working on improving the hand painted nature of Substance Painter?

Ah well, time will tell. I have faith that Substance will grow in time this year faster than ever.

Also, I really wonder why the Australia tax is so heavy and prevalent in 3DCoat's checkout. 70 bucks USD to 97 AUD? I'm more inclined to not purchase now since I don't know if I much use for 3DCoat other than its painting tools.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain wrote: »
    Didn't Jerc or another Allegorithmic person say in a thread they're working on improving the hand painted nature of Substance Painter?

Yep, but its also an unknown. Probably over the course of time it will get much better, but what kind of time frame will we be looking at? Months? Years?..ect All I know is that 3d coat works well for the hand painted texture feel (pbr and non pbr), and for the now thats good enough for a purchase.

Also, I really wonder why the Australia tax is so heavy and prevalent in 3DCoat's checkout. 70 bucks USD to 97 AUD? I'm more inclined to not purchase now since I don't know if I much use for 3DCoat other than its painting tools.

No idea, and it bothers me too. Could be political, economic, or just odd business practices.

As for 3DC, if you are not a modo user, it has a lot of use outside of painting. Decent sculpting features, great, if not thee best retopology and UV toolset.
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    As for 3DC, if you are not a modo user, it has a lot of use outside of painting. Decent sculpting features, great, if not thee best retopology and UV toolset.

Yeah it's pretty much another reason why my temptation to pick it up is tepid at best is because I am a modo user, and I haven't really gone too far into Modos paint mode, but in regards to UVs, sculpting and retop is pretty much the best I've ever used.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Oh it's the educational version? hmmm...

I think I'll keep my plan of sticking with mudbox and getting substance painter down the line.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Finally decided to upgrade v3 edu to v4 since it was only $40. Not sure if that was part of the sale.
  • NBLM
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    If I would buy 3dcoat on steam can I also get a non steam version too? Like Allegorithmic is doing it?
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    3D-Coat 4.5 is officially released! Free for current 4.xx owners!

main45_banner.jpg

Main new features include Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and new Smart PBR Materials.

• New layer groups with Photoshop compatibility.
    • New Symmetry options that are supported by all tools.
    • Seamless painting over multiple UV meshes.
    • HDR panorama support with lighting.
    And much munch more!

Here are some Smart Material examples:
    csm_prballs2_6935853336.png

Check out the new features video!
    youtube: SE3mXkQ55O4
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE3mXkQ55O4[/ame]

Full information is at the link below.
    http://3d-coat.com/3d-coat-45/
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if this will fill the gap between the two extreme opposite Quixel Suite and Substance Suite.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Easily, it paints like photoshop mixed with zbrush, and has the added benefit of smart materials which kind of act like substances. For game rez stuff this is probably the best painting app on the market right now.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'll have to compare it to Substance painter, any updates to the UV tools? That's what I mostly use 3d Coat for these days.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Same old UV tools as before as far as I can tell. GU unwraps are just as handy as they were before. The main upgrades were to painting/material layering and to a lesser extent sculpting this release. It's been a while since I used Painter so I'll have to boot up Windows and see how it's feeling these days.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    That video was really mindblowing :D

Any idea if there is some sort of preset manager ? when you have a scene with multiple (sci-fi for example) assets it's always nice to texture one asset,save the texturing profile as a preset that can be populated within seconds with every other asset you will be texturing.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    What about something more organic or non-hardsurface in nature ?
    How does that work with the painting material things ? Like, painting armors in steel, but the trim parts in gold. Is there like, I dunno, matching materials to color ID ? Or how to make a specific blood stain.... say; hand symbol blood stain on leather material. How to best do that ??
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    3DCoat has always delivered and the more I use the more it saves me time.

Upgrading as soon as I get home.
  • Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth
    Cool :)

Just curious, does it still have the bleeding seams problem? That was the reason why i don't use coat for texture work anymore ...
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish the 99$ Education version of this had allowed exporting texture of 4k resolution instead of capped at 2k >_<"
  • myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    Tiles wrote: »
    Cool :)

Just curious, does it still have the bleeding seams problem?

haven´t tried it yet myself but
    in the release notes it says this;
    Seamlessness of ppp painting improved, interpolation of pixels from other side is more accurate.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks impressive, the edge wear on all these examples is very uniform, are there easy ways to mask or edit or set up edge wear?
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Holy bucket, This looks like a great alternative or bridge to ddo
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome! I love using 3d coat, and if I can paint my textures for PBR in it that would be pretty sweet.
    so in the video it looked like the workflow was painting on the highpoly? that seems like alot of work to unwrap all those polys but it does have lots of potential advantages aswell.
    Ill be interested to see if this workflow is used by most people who pickup 3dcoat.

aso, not trying to be a dick, but did you guys mean to use the word lightening here?
    b32f1f5489.JPG
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I tried a few of the beta iterations featuring smart materials and the overall PBR implementation and the workflow was simply fantastic. It's similar to Substance Painter but with some very original twists. For instance one thing that is easy to miss in the video is the ability to preview smart materials on the model through a rectangle window *before* committing to painting them. Very cool stuff, highly recommended.

Dylan : spelling mistakes here and there are somehow part of the charm of 3DCoat now :)
  • Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth
    Thanks myclay. Time to have a second look it seems :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Dylan: You dont need to unwrap the highpoly meshes. 3D Coat can use Ptex for hires stuff. You can pop a sculpt straight out of zbrush with no uv's and PBR paint it in 3DC.
    I use it to bake and see AO on my HP meshes all the time.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I use this for flat shaded Hand Painted textures. I would like to know more about the changes to the brushes.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Just seen in my mail, looks very promising
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I dont get this:

3dcoathuh.PNG

It is a "super important change" that is not important enough to get a description like the other changes? Just showing the images alone creates skepticism and lacks clarity. My first reaction to it is "no, why?" but if there was a description, i would understand.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think what it's trying to say is values wont keep adding ontop of itself, that they will just stop once they hit the color you are using? It's a very poor example or explaination.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, or better opacity controls? The image looks like painting doesn't result in a raw color? is the RGB blending using 1.0 gamma (can kinda see that)? If i wanted Red, and the result of the 4.5 shot is what i'd get when selecting 1,0,0 red, I don't think that'd be expected.

vague note is vague!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan: You dont need to unwrap the highpoly meshes. 3D Coat can use Ptex for hires stuff. You can pop a sculpt straight out of zbrush with no uv's and PBR paint it in 3DC.
    I use it to bake and see AO on my HP meshes all the time.

Whoaaaa O o!
    So you mean, I can paint materials onto the highres itself, then I bake everything out to lowpoly ??
    Can I render out the highpoly stuff itself ? In 3d-coat? In Keyshot ? Back into ZBrush ??
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Another question I have is does 3D coat support photoshop style layer masking yet? I could really use it.