Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crit Needed (scifi) - Floyd Billingy

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
noscope polycounter lvl 6
Started working from a concept i'm sure everyone has already been amazed by from Toph Gorham. Figured as I already have a job and my folio is filled with so much mediocre I should spend time pushing myself to make something awesome.

After what feels like a zillion 2 hr sessions after work here's the high poly vehicle. Before I move onto anything else it would be great to get some crit on what sux.

Some things are noticeably different and the underside of the vehicle was stolen from a monster truck as you cant really see it in the concept. The inside seating area has been modeled simply to give the impression of inside assets as the glass will be tinted a tad.

25tjczs.jpg

Replies

• Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    This is the low poly?! I almost can't believe that, haha. That's truly sick. Amazing work. What's the tricount? :O
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon wrote: »
    This is the low poly?! I almost can't believe that, haha. That's truly sick. Amazing work. What's the tricount? :O

I AM A STUPID. It is the HIGHPOLY i have fixed the original message. thnx for noticing. could have been embarrassing lol
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Haha, I almost figured that was the case, but still, truly amazing work man. That's one beast of a high poly. Will you make a low poly?
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon wrote: »
    Haha, I almost figured that was the case, but still, truly amazing work man. That's one beast of a high poly. Will you make a low poly?

Thanks man!

Here's to hoping my low poly looks just as good as that image lol. Yeah i'm going to do a low and get it all into UE4 in the end but just wrestling with the thought of either making the low poly now or starting on some other high poly parts in the scene.
  • CosmosXXX
    Looks absolutely stunning!
    I'd love to see a textured version (maybe in UE4?). :)
    (I can imagine that this truck would look very nice with some dirt splatters.)
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Wow, this looks great!

Two quick crits.

When presenting it, put the front view of the vehicle on the left.

The rear of the vehicle can be mistaken for the front. I'd suggest changing the rear tail lamps to a shape that cannot be mistaken for headlights.

2004-Hummer-H1-Studio-Rear-1280x960.jpg
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    CosmosXXX Thanks dude i plan on putting it in UE4 so i can learn it. Tons to do before then tho =(
    beefaroni
    Ahh the headlights thing is a good idea. Ill give it a go for sure. and that hummer image has tons of ref for making the back a bit more interesting. Cheers!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work so far! One thing I noticed is the tires are currently looking very bulbous. Try narrowing them a bit and flattening the sides.
    DVC01924.jpg
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Fixed the bulbous tyres. Changed the lights at the back and added a rear bumper for attaching stuff.

@HitmonInfinity dude your high poly renders are pretty sweet. Are you just rendering out of max/maya or using keyshot or something? I always struggle making nice renders.

eapdg3.jpg
  • stoyan3d
    Offline / Send Message
    stoyan3d polycounter lvl 7
    Really solid work, Floyd. Well done!
  • benc
    Looking really nice, i can't really tell from your renders so do ignore if its fine, but do the front wheels have enough space behind them to turn? They just look a bit close to the underside of the vehicle.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Nice hP ;) - iam not a huge fan of the double wheels right now.
    Would be really nice to see mybe 6 wheels or just 4 ^^

TPz1.Fuchs.Pionier.jpg
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    I agree, the double tires are the only thing that catches my eye as being odd. I assume you are going off this image?

Toph_Gorham_Concept_Art_04_DropShip.jpg

If you want to keep the double tires I would make them taper off a little bit and maybe move them apart a bit so they read as two separate tires. Other than that this looks great!
  • SimonAlbon3D
    I would love to see a wireframe of this, it looks fantastic. There's something about untextured models which I love immensely.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @oxygencube yeah I am working from this concept. I'm going to redo the rubber tire part completely just now. Will try and match them to the concept abit more.

Hopefully this will help with everyone's problems with the back 4 wheels. will update asap.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hey dude nice to see the changes to the rear! Looking forward to seeing this progress :thumbup:
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE: Changed the tires and thinned them a lil bit. Also sorted the problem with it looking like the front tires couldn't turn. Hopefully this has made the back tires work better.

@stoyan3d: Cheers brah hope your good!

@SimonAlbon3D: Ill do a nice wire frame render once I've got this all nailed should look pretty shweet.

a32o7n.jpg

2myrjtx.jpg
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    yeeey, now looks a lot better :> keep up the great work :D
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    looks ready for a bake to me... watching this
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work.

Only thing which bothers me a little is the upper part of the front "snout", the bevel edges looks a little bit to sharp.
  • Stockwell
    Toss it in the oven! Sweet model!
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    The tweaks on the tires/wheels look great. Keep pressing man!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Can't wait to see the low poly :D
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Man, lovin this...looks really great!
    Would love to see wires and low poly!
    Great job so far!
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!

I finally did the low poly and made a test bake. Comes out around 50k. Looking at it there's quite a few polys to be saved here and there and some smoothing group issues on the wheels and other places. Will all be fixed for final bake coming soon!

2wf03et.jpg
    29b21bq.jpg
    29f448k.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Oh nice :D. Been waiting for an update on this one. Looking good
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Looking sweet! I would really try to connect more stuff up. Right now there seems to be a lot of wasted uv-space.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    The bake came out great, but you're currently wasting a lot of geometry on parts that doesn't change the silhouette at all. One of the worst offenders for this is the block in the front with the rounded holes. It looks like you could probably save a few thousand triangles easily without sacrificing any quality.
    There is a chance that the bakes could turn out a little worse by optimizing the models (because of harsher normal interpolation). However if you notice any problems with the bakes you could just add some additional geometry back in to fix it.

Aside from the wasted geometry though it looks great so far.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    It looks good, but there are a bunch of unneeded loops

The tires have 2 loops in the inner rubber circle and the angle is probably below 5°
    That could easily be flat and be displayed by the normal only

Also you could connect the loops on the front into tris and save a bunch there without affecting geo

the canisters on the back could be optimized alot aswell without downgrading the visuals

You also got some normal errors on the edges on the side over the big exhaustion thing where smooting groups do not match UV splits (seen in the last pic)
    You can possibly optimize some of the grip shapes from the tires aswell, 4-8 quads less, x20 x 6

Edit: great, now I see you wrote yourself that things are not optimized >.>

The holes of that cannon thing look strange, theyre not really round but not really squared, looks a bit like a side effect of subdivision surfaces that has been left
    unchanged

Not too happy with the visual balance of the whole thing, if it had some sort of shovel on the front, it would look a lot better in my opinion ,
    the whole vehicule looks kinda clumsy with the stub nose and the cut-off
    back, and some bumpers would greatly improve that, but not my choice to make and you follow the concept obviously

Looking back at the concept, his tires are wider and not as shallow and high, which makes sense. Also vehicules with double tire back axis always
    have the rims inwards shaped on those. The outter rim is connected to the inner rim/tire. The concept has this aswell

http://totaltireandautoservicellc.com/images/truck-tires.jpg
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all just need some advice on uv maps for this vehicle as I've not baked a single object at this size before.

I've currently got it on 4 maps which to me seems excessive.
    1 large map for front and inside.
    1 large map for back gun and crate,
    1 smaller map for underneath structure
    1 small map for wheels.

I would be interested in your opinions on this as I want to nail this model as much as possible. Not to concerned with how long it takes me.

@shrike Thanks for the crit. Ill defo get on with sorting the holes on the gun and I am revisiting the tire tracts and will give your observation of the back tires needing a more inset rim shape a go. I also have some reservations with how the model is jelling as a whole but am hoping some tire and underside fixes will sort this for more. We shall see!

@kimon @Nosslak thanks guys and yeah the model needs some optimizing and looking at it there are a bunch of objects that could be connected together. once I've worked out exactly how I want to split the model to textures It'll all be fixed. Any ideas would be great!

@beefaroni cheers dude hopefully the next update wont be so far away this time
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    1. Are you mirroring the model in the UV sheet? Even though the model isn't 100% symmetrical, there are still areas that could be mirrored while some are not.
    2. Are areas that need less texture density scaled down?
    3. You mention "wheels" texture sheet. If you can just bake down 1 front wheel and use if for the other 5 wheels, you will save a ton of texture space.

If you post a image of your UV layouts I think you will give people a visual idea of how you are approaching the model and maybe some solutions will appear!!
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni. thnx for the help dude. most of the objects on the car are mirrored so they only need unwrapping and baking once, ive tried to scale as best as I can for things that are less visible. I've just baked 1 wheel and duped it around also.

top left is the back. It will be 2k and the same for the front on top right then the bottom 2 will be 1k for the underneath and the wheels.

Does this seem like to many individual maps? should i try to take some out. I just found it quite hard to deal with so many uv islands in less maps.

2cgbxx5.jpg

sorry for crappy presentation. I rushed this out at work lol
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hm, are you applying a checker pattern to the model? As it stands right now, it looks like the wheel is getting more texture space than the rest of the model.

I'm not really qualified to give you real in-depth texturing help; however, I feel like you should shoot for (2) 2K maps for a total of 4K.
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Hm, are you applying a checker pattern to the model? As it stands right now, it looks like the wheel is getting more texture space than the rest of the model.

I'm not really qualified to give you real in-depth texturing help; however, I feel like you should shoot for (2) 2K maps for a total of 4K.

but 4k would be 4 2k maps

I'd just pack the whole thing on one 4k UV and make sure you normalise all UV shells to get consistent texel ratio.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Millenia wrote: »
    but 4k would be 4 2k maps

I'd just pack the whole thing on one 4k UV and make sure you normalise all UV shells to get consistent texel ratio.

Oh shiit whooooops. Shouldn't post that early in the morning :D
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    Looks really good so far.

I'm really curious how the textures are going to end up.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically final bake! some weird normal issue on the tires i cant seem to fix but heres the progress anyways.

Managed to drop it down to 1 4k texture for the body and a 2k texture for the front and back tire.

2447gv5.jpg
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    Its looking really polished, although the previous lighting showed the detail better. Any ideas on the color pallet
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    Are you overlapping geometry besides your tires in your UVs? And what's your bake process? Just curious.

Some experimentation recently for me. With just a basic push on my object in Modo to make the cage..If I bake in Modo results aren't that good. Bake in Xnormal, results are better. Bake object space normals in xnormal and then convert to tangent normals in handplane seem to be the best, most clean results I can get.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Williams
    I've been overlapping most objects that are duplicated on the mesh. Except where you won't get away with it due to obvious repeats when texturing so it's mostly just half the car really then flipped onto the other side as you will never see both sides at once.

I split it into sections and exploded them for baking. I just export the low from 3dsmax as my cage for xnormals and bake it straight out of there then join all the sections back up later. I never really learned how to bake using anything else so can't say what I find better. I think it would be best if I tried a few different methods someday. I hope that answers your question. I may try your idea with handplane and see how that turns out.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay!

Ive picked a few possible colours for the vehicle. whichever one I choose in the end will make the decision over what small enviro I put it in.

Im curious to hear any thoughts you have on any of them as I cant decide myself. It will have camo on it. Just cant decide the base colour scheme for it.

14ily83.jpg