Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Major Project – Dystopian Slums [CE3]

Hey everyone,

Im currently in my 3rd at uni and have started my final major project which runs over 4 months. Ive teamed up with a class mate (Lucfonzy on PC) for it.

We’re building a small level based around the idea/theme of dystopian slums located in Rio de Janeiro . We’re drawing on heavy influences from Blade runner, Remember me and 1984. We’re currently a month away from the deadline, so the major forms are finished and most of the props are complete. Our next step is creating a load of signs and more general clutter , as well as getting the buildings in the distance done(as they are place holders at the moment)

Lighting and atmosphere is our concern at the moment, so any crits on that would be much appreciated.

You can see more development progress at our blog here http://dystopianslumsfmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Pics:

r7qtmBw.jpg

DRWlu9T.jpg

S3aObpC.png

47Mr8gd.jpg

bHa3OFN.jpg

MGrXpC4.png

Thanks.

Replies

• monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    That is a huge project you guys are undertaking! I thought your blog was really interesting, I love that new brick work/cement texture you have going on the brick-walled slums. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Good luck!
  • Lucfonzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates:

We've taken on crit from peers and have altered the lighting quite a lot to push the contrast.

Before:
    Before_4.JPG

After:
    after1.jpg

Before:
    Before_1.PNG

After:
    after2.jpg

Before:
    Before_3.JPG

After:
    after4.jpg

We're also majorly cluttering the place up and generally tweaking the mood and lighting as we go

cctv.JPG

85S43

85S5V
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty sweet! Loving the lighting and textures! (:
  • _Calix_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

We've only got just over a week left before our final hand in so were cramming in as much polish as we can. Any crits would greatly appreciated :). See more at our blog http://dystopianslumsfmp.blogspot.co.uk/

buildings_01.jpg
    monoiso.jpg

blog05.jpg

blog01.jpg

blog03.jpg

blog07.jpg
  • _Calix_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final update most likely.

We've finished the level and produced our fly through. We'll probably add some small tweaks, but for the most part we are calling it done. C&C welcome:

L9W5aDV.jpg

BYGrkWJ.jpg

0FkJy9D.jpg

XHEacaf.jpg

Video:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1uYN66rnFc[/ame]
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,

I think you've managed to produce a very lively feeling slum city! I loved the clothes, monorail, posters/holograms, graffiti and litter. All these together convey the highly populated but decayed favela atmosphere really nicely. Lighting is proper moody as well! The sheer amount of ships flying overhead felt too much at first, but on second thought a future megapolis should feel like that, right?

What's with all the steam though? It looks nice and adds to the wet look, but I feel there are too many sources of steam around. On another note, the lighting difference between the foreground and background buildings seems very unnatural in the scene that has the police-robot-thing (@1:35).

Your blog is a very inspiring description of the process that you went through to create this piece. Clear writing and easy to follow, much appreciated!

PS. What is AEGA 3? :D