Home Technical Talk

Decent Indie Engine?

Hey, how's it going?

Firstly, I'm new here but not to modelling. I've been modelling since 2012 and I'm looking for a reasonable engine that isn't the big 3. (UDK, CE3 and Unity)

I'm doing some 3D art at the moment and I'm looking for an engine to put it in to make it look beautiful (once it's unwrapped). If you are curious to what I'm making, here is the speed modelling. The model will use built-in lights to emit light as a material. I.e. The model will have a face with a designated material that emits light.

Any suggestions? Post below.

-Hiralis

Replies

• ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Hiralis wrote: »
    The model will use built-in lights to emit light as a material. I.e. The model will have a face with a designated material that emits light.

The only engine I know that supports this is UDK, and of course this is still only with baked lightmaps.
  • PixelsGenerated
    Maybe something along the lines of Marmoset ? I guess that's what you are looking for ( if you want to see how pretty something looks in a game engine without the need to play )

Otherwise there are shaders that work within 3D programs to make the viewport look game-like.
  • Hiralis
    ambershee wrote: »
    The only engine I know that supports this is UDK, and of course this is still only with baked lightmaps.

I originally come from game design the -Blam- engine (Halo Engine) and so I'm fairly used to baked lightmaps. Does anyone else know anything?
  • authentic
    if you are looing for a way to view your assets in game, you dont really need to go "in-game". MayaLT has Viewport2.0 which is a realtime viewer built right into your viewport (like marmoset only built in). If you use ShaderFX, you can leverage anything DX11 supports. You can even create your own custom shaders and export them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680Q1iIMugo
  • Redsett
    Offline / Send Message
    Redsett polycounter lvl 4
    For free 3D engines, "the big 3" is your best bet. Project Anarchy is another but not the best looking engine out of the box.

Marmoset is pretty amazing, and is probably what you're looking for. If you're just trying to show off models in a game engine.
  • gsokol
    I'm kinda curious...whats wrong with "the big 3?"

You don't really give a reason why those won't work for you. Echoing everyone else...if the reason is that you just want a super simple model viewer to look at assets in then hit up marmoset.