Home General Discussion

Dropping from school, visa and working overseas

I am first year learning animation. So far i am a bit disappointed.I am in dilemma of dropping from school before i pay for something i can't learn, and the teacher have don't teach the way to understand him. But i want to get diploma.

The second this is that i want to attend animation online school, where i can focus on one thing i want and to to learn everything.

Third thins is, i want to get diploma to work overseas. What are the changes to get hired without bachelor degree. even Studios in their hiring post on website, want to have bachelor degree.

My ideal country to work and to live is Canada.

But, there is another thing. I don't have game studios where i live, everything is TV advertising so my experience will be for TV. All i have to do is work alone on personal projects.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you want to work overseas, you sadly need a diploma or about 5 years of work experience to get a work visa in most countries. I haven't experienced it personally, so you'll have to do some research on what exactly is required.

Studios themselves don't care too much about degrees as long as you have a strong portfolio, but they do have to help you through the process of getting a work visa.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Canada doesn't require a degree. As long as company is willing to hire you they can do it. It's a lot of work though. The way most visas work is a company has to prove that it can't find similarly skilled labor locally. So as long you're better then everyone else you should be good. ;)
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How to do something, without proper game experience, and to stand from others people?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    do personal work and work hard at it.

I also never had access to quality studious and projects to make my portfolios look good because of the said visas, so doing a lot of personal work was the only option.

internet has all the info you need. just buckle up, do 10 hours a day and in 3-5 years you should be good.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    If you want to work overseas, you sadly need a diploma or about 5 years of work experience to get a work visa in most countries. I haven't experienced it personally, so you'll have to do some research on what exactly is required.

Studios themselves don't care too much about degrees as long as you have a strong portfolio, but they do have to help you through the process of getting a work visa.

Actually I think 8-10 years without a diploma in some cases. Usually 2 years exp = 1 year of college, so if the job requires a 4 year diploma, 8 years.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake Is this some studio rule? So my college is 3 years, that means, 7 years of industry experience?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    No, it's country's visa rules and varies depending on the country, and the type of degree you are trying to cover with work experience. I think mostly the USA does this, but I wouldn't be surprised if other countries had similar rules as well.

Basically most countries want companies to hire people that live in their country first, and they only want well qualified people immigrating into their countries.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It's 12 years exp without a degree in the US i think.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    I moved from Australia to canada with no degree etc, I had 8 years in the industry and had no problem with visa. I recall it mentioning 5 years experience, I'll check when I get home
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the best thing is to have killer portfolio?

One more thing, because i want to work in Canada, is it possible to be hired as full time?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Having friends who have tried to get work in the US, Im almost certain that its a 4 year degree, or 2 years xp for every year of school you`re missing. So, for me, I did a 3 year course. I would still need 2 years xp.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some consideration with myself, my parents told me that it is my decision to make. I will drop school, and focus entirely in my skill and to build kick ass portfolio for character artist. I hope i won't make mistake of not getting degree, even if i had someday a portfolio that will get attention from studios to hire me.

Now to get some drawing courses, modeling and zbrush online courses and i am ready to roll
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Cool that you made a decision to train yourself, ts a tough road but ultimately a rewarding one. Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it is tough road. But, i will do everything do make it happen.

So to better find an answer from first hand. I have contacted recruiters from Canadians studios, i got email back, and told that degree might help if i want to immigrate either in Canada or US. They didn't say anything about your portfolio is most important
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When looking to leave the country for work, your portfolio is in no way more important than work experience/schooling, which are required for visas, again these laws vary by country but if you have no degree and no/not enough experience, you will not be able to get a visa.

Some visas (like H1B) are easier to get as they are usually temporary 1-year visas, and may have less restrictions.

Your portfolio is important when it comes to convincing a studio to hire you of course, but it means little when it comes to getting a visa.

Other factors may make getting a visa easier too, for instance if you've been published in a book.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EarthQuake.

Mostly i am interest for Canada, i have searched something but still want to know what to expect. Do you know anyone or from your experience to tell me something more, getting offer from Canadian game studios?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have known people who have worked at Canadian studios, and I've known Canadians who've worked at US studios, but I can't recall any who didn't have a degree in either situation.

I think its safe to say without significant experience or a degree it will be basically impossible to get a visa.

What country do you live in currently btw?

Here are the H1b requirements: http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1b-visa-requirements.html - again this is one of the easier visas to get
    The person must hold a U.S. bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited college or university and the degree must be required to qualify in the specialty occupation.

If the person holds a foreign degree, then that degree must be determined to be the educational equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree. In some cases, a person may obtain an educational equivalence through a combination of education, specialized training or progressively responsible work experience. Three years of specialized experience is generally considered equivalent to one year of college education.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Do you know anything about Canada? Because i am more interest to work there.
    How many years is equivalent for a degree?
    I have diploma from Graphic design. One year,
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Honestly, don't take it wrong, this is coming from a Canadian student.

There's already not enough junior job for us, local. Most of grads student needs to works 1-2 years on their portfolio to find a job because there's way too much 3D students for the amount of junior jobs (yes 5 years ago it was pretty easy to find a job, but the truth now is that most of people get lay off after 1-2 years at a company if they're not a senior).

I think It's going to be a long way for a junior foreign with not diploma to find a junior job here. Canada isn't the promising land of easy perfect well paid job. I honestly don't know what they are still saying at school in EU but that period was like 5-7 years ago.