Home General Discussion

Mouse scroll buttons.

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Snader polycounter lvl 15
I have a problem. My mouse scroll buttons keep breaking. The rest of the mouse is still perfectly fine, but the middle mouse button (which I use in 3DSmax for the camera, and in the browser for opening new link tabs) ends up unresponsive after about two years.

It's not like I have bad/cheap mice. The current one that's acting up is a Roccat Kone+, and the previous one was a Razer Diamondback.

Anyone have the same?

Anyone have a solution?

Replies

• WarrenM
    I dunno man, 2 years seems like decent mileage out of a mouse you use for daily work ... maybe they're just wearing out. :P
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    post a photo of your mouse hand, could be the culprit...

(on a serious note, i got an mx518 at home iv had for like 5+ years and its still good, and i use scroll wheel/click like everyone else)
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I have had my Razer Diamondback 3G for a while and it still works.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya my mx518 is old as fuck and works like a charm, my sweat actully has been corroding away the plastic shell in spots, which shows how old and all buttons work fine.
  • solar
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Map middle mouse click to a thumb button. I've been doing this for years and while it feels strange at first it really helps relieve rsi for me. Typically the thumb buttons are lighter to click and feel much nicer. I find clicking the wheel (especially in max) really cumbersome, give it a try :)
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Hm, the Roccat products are quite cheap built. I have a Kova and it´s one of the crappiest mice I´ve ever had. I also have some <10USD mice from CHina and all are better than the Roccat.
    The Kova´s scroll wheel needs way too much force to click it. I disassembled mine and installed another swith. Now it works better but still I wouldn´t buy a Roccat again.

I´d love to have a Razer Naga WITHOUT the side buttons.

However, 2 years for a mouse is fair, I think.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Oddly enough this happened to me the other day, though mine's a Kensignton and only happened once.

Try changing the batteries or taking them out and putting them back in.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Chiming in to vouch for the mx518 with the others, I've had mine forever and its still working. I won't have to replace it because it breaks, I'll have to replace it because its just going to get too dirty and gross to use eventually

I've owned at least a dozen other logitech mice in the last decade + some razer ones and they've all broken in 1-2 years... the mx518 tho, damn
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    This exact problem happened to me just last month after about 2 in a half years. Using a Razer naga.. If it happens again I'll def consider remapping to anything but mouse scroll clicks.