Home Technical Talk

[Maya] quickWeights Tool

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
So I've been doing a lot of hard surface rigging lately and was generally annoyed at the Component Editor and painting skin weights in general, so I'm working on a tool that speeds up the skin weighting process.

I have a video this time!

http://youtu.be/GbeXhTk1pEM

This tool is mostly for hard surface stuff but it's got the ability to do basic weight blending between two joints. I mostly just wanted to practice some MEL and improve my work flow at the same time. I'd like to know what you guys think so I can continue to refine the tool.

You can give it a try yourself below. I wrote it in 2013 so it may not work in 2014 just yet.

quickWeights Tool for Maya 2013 (Dropbox)

Replies

• anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Hey! Great tool! I will definitely make sure to use it some time!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    nice tool, but i see a little room for streamlineing, you could try hold onto the data from the stage where you move joints to the mesh pivots, for the binding process, so people don't have to use the script to place every joint, than go through the very same joints to weight them.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Most definitely. I'm still in the process of refining it. Generally after some Polycounters give me feedback my stuff ends up looking completely different haha. I'm going to try to rework the joint placement system to behave more like how weights are applied to a selection.