Home General Discussion

3D platormers _what do you know about it

Hello guys , im trying to create a 3d platformer , i need to know a lot of things before i start , i didn't find a lot of information on the internet especially about 3D platformers , please write EVERYTHING you know about it ! THANKS

my favority platformers :

-Crash Bandicoot
-Jak and Daxter
-Ratchet and Clank : not played yet
-Sly Cooper : not played yet

also ther are few things tha confuses me like :

- How to place platforms , is ther a pattern for placing them ?
- How much distance between each platforms ?
- Whats the different chalenges that should be placed in the game ?
- Where to place collectable pieces/coins ?
- How many enemies should attack at once ?
- Where to place NPC's etc .....

if you have any idea or advice please share :)
Conkers-Other-Bad-Day.jpg

Replies

• Xelioth

Not necessarily, you want to place your platforms in the way that best suits the level you're making. If you're trying to create a forest environment, place your platforms wherever it makes sense that there would be a rock, a mushroom, or whatever else your platforms need to look like. Mostly it's about flow. Design your level so that each section feels a little different, and so that it gets progressively more difficult as the game goes on.

That will depend on the difficulty you want. If you want it to be a very difficult jump, place them far away from each other. If you want it to be impossible until you get a powerup later on, space it for that powerup. Mostly just measure out the jump distance of your character and space things out based on that. The jump distance should depend on what your character is, and what visually makes sense for that character.

Varies wildly based on the type of game you're making. Mario was served well by enemies and puzzles. Portal was best served with nothing but puzzles (turrets weren't really enemies so much as a clever sort of wall). Ask yourself what sort of game you're creating and then figure it out from there.

That depends as well. Collectibles are a reward. Place them when you feel like the player needs to be rewarded for a particular action. If you're going the route of mario coins, use them liberally, but don't just scatter them randomly. Use them to point a player to where they need to go next, or to something interesting that they may want to interact with that's off the beaten path.

That depends on what your character can handle. Does your character fight like Mario? Mario wouldn't be able to take more than 1 or 2 enemies at once. There are moments when they throw 3 at you in Mario 64 and those moments are hectic and difficult. However, if your character is equipped to fight a bunch of enemies at once (Ratchet, for instance) you can afford to throw enemies more liberally. Pace the game according to your character and it won't make any difference to the way the game feels. It's all about what sort of character you're designing.

Place them so that they serve as quest reminders or as rewards for good play. If your NPC is a shop, place them in areas where the player can find them as a reward for exploration. If your NPC is relevant to your quest, place them in an area that the player is directed towards by your level design, coin layout, visual cues, etc. Ask yourself what the NPC is doing: Is it a reward? is it a challenge? is it a part of the story? and then place accordingly.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well actually many games setup specific height/distance amounts based on a grid/block system so they know the character will accurately be able to climb or jump those objects. Judging those distances on the fly during level building would only cause more fixing work further down the line.
    When creating a level blockout it a grid becomes useful for more than just snapping modular pieces together :D
  • Xelioth
    Well actually many games setup specific height/distance amounts based on a grid/block system so they know the character will accurately be able to climb or jump those objects. Judging those distances on the fly during level building would only cause more fixing work further down the line.
    When creating a level blockout it a grid becomes useful for more than just snapping modular pieces together :D
    Sorry, that came out a little vague. I meant that those units can be anything. You could make an entire tree fit in the space of one unit, or just a single leaf. Decide on a scale for your jump, then make that one unit within the 3D program of choice.
  • hypnos
    Xelioth wrote: »

Not necessarily, you want to place your platforms in the way that best suits the level you're making. If you're trying to create a forest environment, place your platforms wherever it makes sense that there would be a rock, a mushroom, or whatever else your platforms need to look like. Mostly it's about flow. Design your level so that each section feels a little different, and so that it gets progressively more difficult as the game goes on.

That will depend on the difficulty you want. If you want it to be a very difficult jump, place them far away from each other. If you want it to be impossible until you get a powerup later on, space it for that powerup. Mostly just measure out the jump distance of your character and space things out based on that. The jump distance should depend on what your character is, and what visually makes sense for that character.

Varies wildly based on the type of game you're making. Mario was served well by enemies and puzzles. Portal was best served with nothing but puzzles (turrets weren't really enemies so much as a clever sort of wall). Ask yourself what sort of game you're creating and then figure it out from there.

That depends as well. Collectibles are a reward. Place them when you feel like the player needs to be rewarded for a particular action. If you're going the route of mario coins, use them liberally, but don't just scatter them randomly. Use them to point a player to where they need to go next, or to something interesting that they may want to interact with that's off the beaten path.

That depends on what your character can handle. Does your character fight like Mario? Mario wouldn't be able to take more than 1 or 2 enemies at once. There are moments when they throw 3 at you in Mario 64 and those moments are hectic and difficult. However, if your character is equipped to fight a bunch of enemies at once (Ratchet, for instance) you can afford to throw enemies more liberally. Pace the game according to your character and it won't make any difference to the way the game feels. It's all about what sort of character you're designing.

Place them so that they serve as quest reminders or as rewards for good play. If your NPC is a shop, place them in areas where the player can find them as a reward for exploration. If your NPC is relevant to your quest, place them in an area that the player is directed towards by your level design, coin layout, visual cues, etc. Ask yourself what the NPC is doing: Is it a reward? is it a challenge? is it a part of the story? and then place accordingly.

thanks for the tips :poly121:
  • hypnos

what do you mean by grid/block system ... ?

how the grid can be useful apart snapping modular pieces ?
  • tanka
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I've noticed that the indie game scene really lacks 3D platformers. There are tons of nostalgic 2D platformers but with the N64 generation coming of age you'd think that the 3D platformer genre would be headed for a massive revival. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer/posts/521673 << this is the only one i've seen, and it looks amazing.)

I think that the reasons for the lack of 3D platformers come down to the level of finesse required with the camera and controls. The most important part of a 3d platformer is the camera, and the precision of the controls. Get those right, and I think you're half way there.
  • hypnos
    tanka wrote: »
    I've noticed that the indie game scene really lacks 3D platformers. There are tons of nostalgic 2D platformers but with the N64 generation coming of age you'd think that the 3D platformer genre would be headed for a massive revival. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer/posts/521673 << this is the only one i've seen, and it looks amazing.)

I think that the reasons for the lack of 3D platformers come down to the level of finesse required with the camera and controls. The most important part of a 3d platformer is the camera, and the precision of the controls. Get those right, and I think you're half way there.

this game looks realy cool !
    is ther some resources for 3d platformer camera setting apart from Unity tutorials ?
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    hypnos wrote: »
    is ther some resources for 3d platformer camera setting apart from Unity tutorials ?

I'd suggest purchasing 'Master Camera' from the Unity Asset Store, and modifying it as needed for your game as your game takes shape. It's a good base to start from, for most camera setups.
  • hypnos
    I'd suggest purchasing 'Master Camera' from the Unity Asset Store, and modifying it as needed for your game as your game takes shape. It's a good base to start from, for most camera setups.

thanks , i'll check it out :poly121: