Home General Discussion

EA/Disney Announce New Star Wars Agreement

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
http://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/walt-disney-company-and-ea-announce-multi-year-star-wars-games-agreement

Not sure how I feel about this, since I'm not much of an EA fan lately, but I'll wait and see how this evolves.

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Oh boy, I can't WAIT for Kalidor Crescent: Black Ops of the Rebellion, KC: BOotR 2, 3, 4...
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    "Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe. We look forward to hiring well over a thousand developers to create the ambitious, AAA masterpiece games this deal envisions. We also look forward to firing all of these replaceable Meat Puppets as each product nears completion. We'll make millions and millions of dollars! Yay us!"

Note: quote has been edited for sarcasm and likely future events
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Oh boy, I can't WAIT for Kalidor Crescent: Black Ops of the Rebellion, KC: BOotR 2, 3, 4...

Aren't you thinking of Activision?
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't Disney have a studio that was already geared up to release a Star Wars game? Oh wait, they gutted that studio.

This feels like a slap in the face and a boot in the ass to all of the ex-LucasArts employees.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Now begins the LucasEArts era :(
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It does make me wonder if any of the former LucasArts employees will be offered the employment opportunities
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANK GOD.

Now I know what studio to avoid.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting, they mentioned DICE, Visceral, and Bioware by name for making the next star wars games.. I mean, Battlefield: Star Wars could be pretty cool! Maybe a new KOTOR? How bad could it be.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    battlefield star wars? im game.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    How bad? You'll get a choice of red or green lightsabers in Kotor3, other colours are paid dlc, access to your lightsaber comes midgame, but for only $4.99 you can unlock it right away to get the ultimate Jedi experience.
    Fan favourite character HK-47 appears as a party member, but he was so badly damaged in the time between Kotor2 and 3, his vocaliser needs replacing, but it's a pre-order bonus only available through select retailers
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Star Wars games are great when they aren't treading the same ground over and over again - that's why the reveal that 1313 was changed to feature Boba Fett as the main character was such a huge disappointment.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    "The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay"

Loved this part, good or bad I would rather them try new games with new storys than EA just doing shity movie tie in games.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Star Wars games are great when they aren't treading the same ground over and over again - that's why the reveal that 1313 was changed to feature Boba Fett as the main character was such a huge disappointment.

wait wait wait...........how could anything featuring the fettman be a dissapointment. that woulda made me 10x more interested.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait wait wait...........how could anything featuring the fettman be a dissapointment. that woulda made me 10x more interested.

for the very reason posted right above you.

Boba Fett would have never existed if someone wasn't given a chance and create him.

In the past 30 years, we've had nothing BUT Boba Fett stories. We're missing all new awesome bounty hunters because they're too focused on just recycling everything over and over again, thus robbing us of the potential the SW license has to offer.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    You know what I want? I've been reading the Star Wars Omnibus stuff, and am so enthralled by this timeline.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omnibus:_Tales_of_the_Jedi,_Volume_1

It's awesome! Ancient sci-fi alien technology is something I don't see terribly often, and i feel they do a really good job with the world and look and feel of everything.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Anything Fett related spends most of its time undoing what Lucas did. There is so much to untangle you might not get to anything badass until the 2nd or 3rd game... I think its easier to just take another direction and not deal with all the baggage.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like this.

There are potentially good games that could come from this. The studios they mentioned are solid studios, and could easily cook up some solid Star Wars titles.

Visceral's style of game would fit decently into the Star Wars universe, especially if they focused on a non-Jedi character. (a Visceral Star Wars title about a smuggler or gun-for-hire would be great) Bioware is a fine fit for a new single-player KOTOR. (or just Star Wars themed RPGs in general) And DICE could resurrect the Battlefront series.

At the same time, giving EA the Star Wars license en-masse will eliminate any franchise competition. EA won't have any other developers to measure up to. And I'm worried that the homogenization that has begun to plague the rest of their franchises will swiftly be integrated into future Star Wars titles.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    leilei wrote: »
    Now begins the LucasEArts era :(

heh yeah, doesn't sound too great does it.

But does this mean starwars 1313 moves over to a new division then? Could be cool if that were the direction they were thinking of heading
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Great, more Origin exclusive bullwank.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    On an upnote - I know at least one ex-lucas-arts dude who is working at one of these EA studios now...Hopefully this ends up being helpful to at least some of the people who lost their jobs because of this stuff recently...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    *yawn* ...really? 1313 made me excited again but I wouldn't complain if the industry finally stopped their "oh let's play it safe" strategy franchise recycling. For star wars it would be a really good time right now. But with Disney and EA I guess they'll manage to wring and mangle it for the next 30 years.

...and I had so high hopes when Bioware finally came up with a new universe. But meh, whom am I kidding. They belong to EA now too.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, I'd like to see a Star Wars game that has the combat system of TFU, the RPG elements of Mass Effect, and have a multitude of planets to visit (also kind of like Mass Effect). It would be nice if it had the free roam aspect of ME1's side missions and have opportunities to discover places of lost Jedi/Sith wisdom (i.e. Force powers, saber combat forms, etc.). Perhaps a storyline pertaining to the "Dawn of the Jedi" comic?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    All I need is Battlefront 2 with shiny next gen graphics. That's seriously all. Maybe a wider selection of weapons and space ships.

But that is all I need.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Aren't you thinking of Activision?

The difference is shrinking by the financial quarter...

BUT. If this means the 1313 refresh gets released (to Bobba Fett version), all good. Cause I really don't think we're ever getting Prey 2.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Selaznog wrote: »
    All I need is Battlefront 2 with shiny next gen graphics. That's seriously all. Maybe a wider selection of weapons and space ships.

But that is all I need.

Battlefront made by the guys at DICE, sign me the fudge up! :thumbup:
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well before this it sounded like the only Star Wars games we would ever see again would be on iPhone. Now some of the best studios in the world will be working on them.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Battlefront made by the guys at DICE, sign me the fudge up! :thumbup:

GET. THE. ****. ON. THIS. NOW. DICE.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh nice, so the cancer of videogames finally marries the AIDS of entertainment and they make an agreement together

surreal times
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Sheesh, when did Polycount turn in to such a hive of complaining and whining?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah what the fuck?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    starwars games have seen better days, and EA hasn't been very popular recently.

There's also the failed move to an mmo with the old republic when people wanted a new knights of the old republic instead.

People in this thread seems mostly positive about it though, especially with the possibility of a battlefront type game.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ...and there was Star Wars Galaxies before Bioware's MMO. But okay, how could they not have anticipated that everyone and their dog wants to play a Jedi? And that the huge amount of Jedi characters would just render the whole experience ridiculous... ah well, SWG was fun for a while though. Shame it didn't last.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I know most people thought DICE for the Battlefront remake, but my mind went to Bioware. I don't know how many played the multiplayer in ME3, but personally, I really enjoyed it, and would love to see them take a shot at something like Battlefront. After I read the news yesterday I went home and played Battlefront II until I went to bed, love that game. I'll hold out on judgement until we find out who's making what, I'm just happy we're getting more Star Wars games.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Im hoping dice does battlefront like they do the bf franchise, insane over the top singleplayer in the boots of a smuggler or trooper and then the usual amazing multiplayer.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    angry+mob+Jasons+Scotch+Whisky+Reviews.jpeg

I for one cant wait for either Bioware or DICE to put their spin on the battlefront series.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Sheesh, when did Polycount turn in to such a hive of complaining and whining?

I'm sorry. I know I'm being a bit pessimistic about this. And really, good things COULD come from it. We know that there are good developers at the EA studios. I've personally played good games that they've put out.

I just see the corporate side of EA as a publisher leaking into all of their creative efforts. And its starting to effect the quality of the titles they produce. And I've seen whats happened with EA Sports and their annualized practices with the exclusive licenses they've acquired. Having EA flouncing around with the Star Wars IP in their back pocket just strikes me as a negative development. I've liked a lot of Star Wars games over the years. I'm just not confident that EA will be good stewards.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    I know most people thought DICE for the Battlefront remake, but my mind went to Bioware. I don't know how many played the multiplayer in ME3, but personally, I really enjoyed it, and would love to see them take a shot at something like Battlefront. After I read the news yesterday I went home and played Battlefront II until I went to bed, love that game. I'll hold out on judgement until we find out who's making what, I'm just happy we're getting more Star Wars games.

Yeah but then there'd be really forced and uncomfortable sex scenes between Han and Greedo.... I'd rather DICE helmed most of the Star Wars games.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    We know that there are good developers at the EA studios. I've personally played good games that they've put out.

I just see the corporate side of EA as a publisher leaking into all of their creative efforts.

This and Origin (thanks for blocking my credit cards, Digital River) and their "creative" DRM measures. Or all DLC costs 4 bioware points but you can only buy the points in 5-packs (haha. very funny). The non game dev folks are pretty good at EA for spoiling otherwise great products for me :/
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im not going to say anything negative because there could be some good games that come out of all this.

for those of you who think that games are so different from film that the big studios are not going to pull the total clusterfuck on the artists like they are now doing in the film industry take notice.

you have one of the largest film/media studios in a merger with one of the largest game publishers. disney holds the ip and is calling the shots. if your at one of these studios make sure your ready for the email that announce the wonderful plans for EA Bangalore!!! and all the exciting new positions you will be forced to take training your replacements who work for 5 dollars an hour...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh gray.

Maybe hire a Bangalorian for $5 an hour so he can teach you the difference between 'your' and 'you're'. And when to capitalize. (hint; it's not only when referring to the almighty evil corporations)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gray wrote: »
    if your at one of these studios make sure your ready for the email that announce the wonderful plans for EA Bangalore!!! and all the exciting new positions you will be forced to take training your replacements who work for 5 dollars an hour...

I've seen it happen, it didn't really work out that great for the studio. They've went from a AAA studio to mid-tier casual.

So a Hollywood comparison would be Dreamworks outsourcing it's entire staff and going from "How to Train Your Dragon" to making straight to DVD movies.

AND EA already extensively uses outsourcing - nothing is going to change there.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AND EA already extensively uses outsourcing - nothing is going to change there.

Yeah, that aspect of the business will remain the same.

What worries me is that all PC Star Wars releases going forward are going to be exclusive to Origin. I don't want Origin. So even if they manage to release a kick-ass Star Wars Battlefield game, I'm not going to want it for my PC.

EA already botched the Old Republic MMO pretty badly. They didn't botch it in the development side of things, they botched it when it came to the business. I don't want to see more of that applied to the Star Wars franchise going forward. But I strongly suspect that we will.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andreas

if you disagree with something then give a well reasoned rebuttal. if you read justin's post he does that quite succinctly. posting 4chan level drivel should stay on 4chan. when you want to make this your career for 10+ years these issues are important and the more you know about the 'big picture' and the market helps you protect yourself and your family. you go through a few mass layoffs and studios that are run like a sweatshop and some of that twinkle in your eye might get a bit dull.

and as we all know capital letters cause global warming. so shame on you. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basic typing and grammar are not 4chan level drivel; however you could argue that thinly veiled racism towards countries like India and China, is.

And not using capital letters will get your resume thrown in the bin, so I don't think you can blame your future prospects on 'the foreigners'.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik"]Southpark - They Took Our Job! - YouTube[/ame]
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andreas

unfortunately your about 10 years to late to get any shock value with that sort of poop. people have gotten use to the fact that low iq simpletons throw out baseless attacks on the internet when they feel unable to argue a coherent point.

you need to pump it up a notch and call people 'baby killers'. maybe 'sodomizer of the elderly' that might get peoples attention.

it seems like the only thing you contribute are fanboy posts. you obviously don't know anything about the business of productions studios. and have NO respect for the artists that work in them. if thats all you have to say and no coherent point, back to 4chan with you...
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    Sodomizer of the elderly... lol
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    For fucks sake guys take it to pm... knock it off. This thread should make people happy on here not turn into a cesspool of hatred and shit talking.

More Star Wars games are gonna get made. Jobs will be available or at least people will get to keep jobs they currently have. Sounds like a win win to me.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    ikken wrote: »
    oh nice, so the cancer of videogames finally marries the AIDS of entertainment and they make an agreement together

surreal times

Dude. Lol, perfect.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    For fucks sake guys take it to pm... knock it off. This thread should make people happy on here not turn into a cesspool of hatred and shit talking.

More Star Wars games are gonna get made. Jobs will be available or at least people will get to keep jobs they currently have. Sounds like a win win to me.

I'm not sure that's entirely true, we'll have studios being streamlined into making starwars game with the hope that they'll score gold considering that the exclusivity probably had some cost connected to it.

We'll have a mountain of expensive starwars titles that act as less than stellar games and the eventual end of the line layoffs as they didn't meet the mountains of gold expectations that they saw in starwars.