Home General Discussion

How is the situation for 2d artists on the industry?

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Hello guys.

I've been studying 3d and digital painting a lot last years. But who follows my attempts here on forum knows that my strongest ability lies on painting. And I really have a lot to learn in both fields... This year I posted here some studies on hand painted models, what seems to be the perfect combination for a guy that have stronger painting abilities than sculpting. But I'm really thinking in specialize in a unique field.

This doesn't mean give up 3d or 2d... but if I just can get 50% in 3d and 60% and painting... maybe it's better to leave one of them aside a little and focus on the other, to be 100% on it.

So, my question for you guys, pros in the industry, is how is the current situation for 2d artists? Is it easy to get jobs or free lances as concept artist or illustrator? And even better, can you look at my portfolio and pointing me what's missing to be a really competitive guy? Or if all I'm talking is bullshit and I can continue studying normaly?

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I dunno but I love your work, really enjoyable to look at!

Sorry I couldn't offer more help, but good luck on the job hunt!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    It's perfectly reasonable.

But only if you learn how to make 2d game assets. Currently you are an illustrator, but i need to know how you animate, draw assets that work in games, do particle effects ect.

Most of the work is in mobile games though, but then there is also ui work, and tons of marketing stuff. But If you dont mind mobile games there is tons of work.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Out of 14 artists at Robot 4 are 2d concept artists. But they each have a secondary skill. One of them does a little UI. One does a little 3d work. One does marketing pieces. And the last helps with the website.

Your work is awesome. Even the 3d stuff. But if you only want a 2d job apply at mobile game companies, or at bigger companies as a concept artist.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Having skill in more than one area is super important. I think you have enough skill in both 2d and 3d to be a valuable asset to any company seeking either one of these skills. The only thing that is a little weird is that your 2d is mixed with your 3d on your website. In fact, many of the 3d pieces look like 2d, which could be confusing to some. I would separate the two.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing with your artistic ability and you will do just fine. If finding work is an issue, perhaps you just aren't reaching the right people. Get out, get noticed. Socialize, network, make friends - it really is the best way to get work(if your work is good, which it is).
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    First off, I really like your stuff!

There are a couple things I think you could do to strengthen your portfolio towards concept art in particular. Your illustrations are awesome and fun to look at, but you don't really have a lot of "realistic" concepts. There is a bit there, but most of your folio leans towards stylized. You definitely know how to paint, so it would be cool to see you do some realistic pieces with crazy details.

Another thing is I don't really get to see much of your design process in your portfolio. I think well presented thumbnail sheets and iteration sheets do a lot for establishing your ability to design functional concepts. Pieces structured like the one below allow you to establish the fact that you can design, and iterate on a particular subject.

Linky

For me at least, it allows me to see what you tried, and what you ultimately chose to go with. (Maybe that is just a personal thing I like to see, but seeing a piece go from thumb to final is always interesting!)

I could also very well be completely wrong, so take that last tldr with a grain of salt (or the whole bottle!) :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I actually disagree with doing realistic work, to strengthen your portfolio.

Its obviously not the sort of work you want to do. Doing realistic art will land you realistic art jobs, and thinking that those are the sort of jobs that are out there is naive.

So do you have links to the sort of games you would like to work on?
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    There are a ton of casual, facebook, ipod/ipad studios hiring 2D artists around here right now. How long that will last I couldn't tell you.

I'd say stay focused on what you like to do. Anything else and you'll wind up in a job you don't like doing.
  • frontop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think do the two things well will be very hard. You must make a choice. One can be your career, the other can be your off-hour hobby. Good luck!

Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Your stuff is amazing and diverse, I bow to you in reverent pride... sorry, haven't got any advice to offer though :/
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    There are a ton of casual, facebook, ipod/ipad studios hiring 2D artists around here right now.

Yeah, in that case maybe learning illustrator and Flash would be the best route.

But there are many paths you could take. I think you could definitely get a 3D job doing mobile and browser games. A lot of them require that hand painted look because of the low spec requirements. I could see you as very useful to a small team as you could concept and then move onto model your concepts as well.

Also agree that only do realistic stuff for your portfolio if that's what you want to end up doing.

But the real question is what do you really want to end up doing? Find out what types of games you want to work on and work your portfolio in that direction. My folio is a mish mash so I kinda know where you're coming from.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    TeeJay and Torch: Thank you guys, really great to know you like my works!

Muzz: Argh, marketing things no, please. :) Yeah, I've already did some stuff for mobile and web games, but what will make me really proud some day is working in a console/PC game. I guess you're right, I really need to do some asset stuffs to my portfolio.
    About your other question, man, I'm not a gamer to be sincere. I don't know many titles, except the most famous, so I can't point the titles I like to work on. But I can indicate some of my favorite artists: Bobo the Seal, Ben Regimbal, Murph, JFletcher, Hai Kai, Josh Singh, Ferg and a lot of others.

monster: Thank you. I'm not really giving up to 3d... to be honest, I really want to do both things. And considering what you said, it's a good plus to me.

breakneck: Thank your for your encouragement. About the job hunting, to be honest, I'm not so confident with my 3d abilities. But reading your kind replies, I'm rethinking about. Last thing I need is to make my balls stronger, and be prepared to receive some 'no's from the companies. I know it's natural, but a bit intimidating.

z0ltan: Thank you buddy. But I don't really think that realistic stuff with crazy amount of details is my thing. I do agree, my portfolio is missing enviros, and I have intention to produce some. But I must to respect my aesthetics. I like stylized crazy, funny and irreverent stuff. I think I have to go on my path. Like Muzz said, if I produce realistic stuff, this will lead to me realistic works, what is not really what I want to do.
    About the wips images, many posts have them, but not as a sheet, like you indicated. Don't you like to see the progress as individual images, or gifs, like I use to post?

EtotheRic: Yeah I know, I do some freelance for them. Ans I like the advice to stay focused on my current things. ;)

frontop: I don't really agree. My favorite artists, that I listed above all can do both things very well. And if the guys above said that my 3d work is worth I have reasons to believe I can get there too with some more dedication.

Fomori: No I don't work with Illustrator or Flash. So I prefer the other paths you listed. But to be honest I'm a bit confused yet about what final direction to take. All I know is that I have my favorite artists, and I want to be as good as them. I'd love to work to the game industry, but this is difficult here in my country (Brazil). What I believe is that to leave my country and go abroad, I must to have really strong skills, to never be unemployed and have to go back with my tail between the legs, what would be very frustrating.

Anyway, thank you very much guys, for taking your time to reply. I'm feeling a bit more confident now, seeing that you like my work. This gives me motivation to dedicate more. So, let's back to the work!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Just curious, why did everyone assume 2D = 2D games? Surely concept artists work primarily with just painting in 2D? When I read the OP, that's the route I had assumed was being suggested, not making assets for 2D games.

And last time I checked, the position of Concept Artist was very much alive and well, albeit immensely competitive.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    TeeJay wrote: »
    the position of Concept Artist was very much alive and well, albeit immensely competitive.

this is probably why people aren't so encouraging about being a concept artist.

If you are a good 2D artist you can get a job making characters and particle fx and parallax background tiles and ui elements etc.

If you are a good concept artist you probably dont even get a job, I get the impression you have to be an AMAZING concept artist to even get trusted with that position at most companies.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah good point, Ged. I don't think I've ever seen a 'pretty good' concept artist, they're always top-class artists. That's not to say there are 3D artists who are 'average', just that working concept guys always seem to be the best of the best.

Not really sure how to put it without sounding like 2D artists are more talented but that's really not what I'm trying to say.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I've been splitting time between concept and 3D work for years, at 2 different studios. I also did some UI and design work. Generally, you will get chances to do whatever you're good at.

That said, you typically get hired on the back of one core skill set (because that's how companies, except for Valve, think about job roles). So, keep working on both things, but prioritize one skill set when you are filling out your portfolio and applying for jobs.

Concept jobs are hyper-competitive, but most studios will recognize the added value of a concept artist who can do production work as well.