Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

just some low-poly planes

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
lashman polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

I recently made some low-poly planes and just wanted to get your opinion on those. I know, I know - they're not anything special, but still ... :)

Cheers,
Martin

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    For some reason when I saw the thread title I was expecting 3d planes.. like.. 1 single polygon floating in 3d space. This is infinitely more interesting.

I like them! What are the specs on these, polycount, textures?
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha :) yeah - definitely more interesting than single polygon :] thanks :)

as for the specs - all of them are at around 1k tris (+/- 100) and the textures are 2k
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    personal opinion but i think u can change the size to 1k and there "might" be no detail loss...just my 2 cents...

nice planes tho. Reminds me of toy planes.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it seems a bit odd to me to be modelling so low but then have such a huge texture, but overall they look great.
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks :) yeah, I know the textures are quite big ... but those were the specs I've been given ... they just wanted bigger textures which they could scale down if needed
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... and another one :) this time it's a Messerschmitt :) specs same as previous ones

screenshot4.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hahaa, I thought the same as Shiniku xD These are nice :]
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    What distance are these supposed to be away from the camera ingame?

At the moment, I'm really not feeling it with the paneling lines, it's almost as if they are way to thick and dark, especially on the FW190, and the ME109, they just come across to me as really noisy.

Also might be worth looking into chucking a couple of extra tris on the wingtips to help their silhouette a bit, at the moment the rest of the plane looks smooth, and then your wingtips are all jaggedy. The mosquito looks ok, but the rest are really obvious.

Other than that, they look pretty good! I especially like the mosquito!
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks :) as for the polycount, sadly - I can't go any higher, they need them at around 1k tris ... what distance? well ... very, very, very far away (think RTS-far-away) :) that's why they're low-poly and don't have transparent windows :)
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    lashman wrote: »
    thanks :) as for the polycount, sadly - I can't go any higher, they need them at around 1k tris ... what distance? well ... very, very, very far away (think RTS-far-away) :) that's why they're low-poly and don't have transparent windows :)

Ah, fair enough, also explains the thickness of the panel lines :)

Even so, If it's for a top down RTS style game, I'd still try and get the wings curvier, the tail fin on most of them looks smoother than the wingtips (though I can't really tell from that perspective), and you are never going to really see that in the silhouette from a top view.
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo wrote: »
    Ah, fair enough, also explains the thickness of the panel lines :)

Even so, If it's for a top down RTS style game, I'd still try and get the wings curvier, the tail fin on most of them looks smoother than the wingtips (though I can't really tell from that perspective), and you are never going to really see that in the silhouette from a top view.

yeah, you're probably right ... I might try doing this if I have some time left after I'm done ... I still have one more plane to model - P-38 Lightning :)
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing you don't know much about how the assets are going to be implemented? Considering that and the specs you were given they are looking great. You got the proportions right and the silhouettes are fairly good. Could use a few more triangles here and there.

As for textures they could be a lot more interesting(dirt, grime, wear) but then again... what's the point in putting down detail if it will be filtered away. Only thing that bothers me is the paneling of the ME109 wings... the squares look too uniform from about halfway to the wingtips.

Also the painted area in front of the cockpit(the hood) is almost always matte(little to no spec/gloss) to prevent glares.

Do you mind posting some wires?
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey wrote: »
    I'm guessing you don't know much about how the assets are going to be implemented? Considering that and the specs you were given they are looking great. You got the proportions right and the silhouettes are fairly good. Could use a few more triangles here and there.

As for textures they could be a lot more interesting(dirt, grime, wear) but then again... what's the point in putting down detail if it will be filtered away. Only thing that bothers me is the paneling of the ME109 wings... the squares look too uniform from about halfway to the wingtips.

Also the painted area in front of the cockpit(the hood) is almost always matte(little to no spec/gloss) to prevent glares.

Do you mind posting some wires?

wires? not at all :) here they are:

wires.jpg

I know they all could use a little bit more work and optimizing ... but the thing is - I only had about 2 days to do all those planes from scratch; as for how they're going to be used - all I know is: they're going to be viewed from very far away in game, definitely no close ups (hence the low poly count) ... oh, and thanks for the tips :) didn't know that
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... and finally, the last one :) P-38 Lightning, enjoy :)

screenshot5.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    great models :) they're nicely done
  • lashman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    great models :) they're nicely done