Home General Discussion

Xbox 360 Games On Windows 8

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
http://www.insideris.com/more-xbox-360-games-on-windows-8-details/

Thoughts?

I would hate to see microsoft loosing sight of what pc gaming can do, just because they can add 360 games to be playable on a pc. I have some of those Windows Live games, like Arkham Asylum and Dead Rising 2, which give you achievements linked to your xbox live. But they are a big step up in how the game looks.

Replies

• Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    If they did this I would buy it. Not if your forced to get the sub, but theres a few Xbox360 games I want to play as long as the emulation is good then it would be sweet.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but xbox360 uses a powerpc cpu and a different architecture from the regular pc, so it would have to be emulated?

Sounds like someone misunderstood something about this.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    man.... windows 8?! i just got 7 lol
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    How is this even possible? I understand the X series hardware is very similar to PC, but it still is very different.

Unless I missed something...in which case...is nVidia up to something?
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    The article cites no source, all I can find on it is forum rumour elsewhere. You would think that they would be signing this from the treetops if it was true.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    That smells like a fake.

If it were true, I'm not going to buy a xbox 360 videogame for a pc in windows 8... that's pointless for me (small textures, outdated graphics, bad gameplay for PC, etc.), and more with my actual hardware that demands quality. If we hate the bad ported games... PC gamers would not be buying old games from an old "videoconsole", and that's a fact.

They should make a good port of the game for PC if they want those "residual" sales. Emulation... no thanks! :)
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    But your also then get 10x more people to play against and 10x the amount of games to play ... well, you know on your freaking PC. They need a reason for gamers to buy win8 in the first place, if they can lock down the OS and the need to use a 360 pad for the games I'm ok with it, but hackers and cheats will probably ruin it all anyway.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Even if it is emulation would you guys get this to replay all of the 360 games that you guys bought over the years?

I do think this might be something that is not entirely true, but it is interesting to think about the idea of creating an official emulator i guess, to not call it something else, where you can actually play the games you stacked when the 360 becomes old tech. I dunno what i think about them charging for the service, unless it's included in the xbox live, which i am sure they will continue with. So maybe it could be more of a perk for those that continue with it and have a pc available.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ This is a bad idea. The Piracy would put a huge bullet hole into an already difficult industry.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I can play Gears of War 2 finally...and 3...
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ This is a bad idea. The Piracy would put a huge bullet hole into an already difficult industry.

Second hand sales are worse then piracy, piracy doesn't not equate to lost sales many of the times, and most small time developers get 90% of revenues from digital distribution.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Second hand sales are worse then piracy, piracy doesn't not equate to lost sales many of the times, and most small time developers get 90% of revenues from digital distribution.

Man, both things are bad :).

We also could talk about renting videogames. Years ago i used to rent pc games and i think it's a good thing for games, better than playing a bad demo.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Blaizer wrote: »
    That smells like a fake.

If it were true, I'm not going to buy a xbox 360 videogame for a pc in windows 8... that's pointless for me (small textures, outdated graphics, bad gameplay for PC, etc.), and more with my actual hardware that demands quality. If we hate the bad ported games... PC gamers would not be buying old games from an old "videoconsole", and that's a fact. :)

You can trade Xbox games in after your done with them ;)

If this turned out to be true, it would be brilliant! :D Gears 2/3 on PC! Alan Wake on PC! Teh Haloez on PC!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is this even possible? I understand the X series hardware is very similar to PC, but it still is very different.

Unless I missed something...in which case...is nVidia up to something?

The pc is full of emulators, I'm sure there are already emulators for the 360, I havent looked though, they probably require a very powerful pc.

With Microsofts access they should be able to make it reasonably playable.

But yeah I'm not sure I really believe this. Its like Microsoft giving someone the keys to their anus.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, no Xbox emulators, only PS2, handhelds, and Wii...we don't even have IPhone emulator for Apps.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    "will use Games for Windows Live" I'm out....
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Nope, no Xbox emulators, only PS2, handhelds, and Wii...

Once again, wishing someone with a heavy technical background would comment in this thread, as I'm not that person,

but considering that even though the hardware is similar on some aspects, the cpu is different and at three cores having to be emulated, the architecture of the console is also a bit different from pc's.

It could however mean recompiled binaries perhaps, like how backwards xbox compatibility works on 360?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, that's what I imagine out of it. Emulating PPC on x86 is still too computationally expensive these days, so maybe some special GFWL DRM'd x86 binaries for select games (mainstream ones like, Halo 3, etc) that require the 360 game disc in the drive to operate. That's the only sensible way I can imagine.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I am very very very very skeptical about this one!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    They are probably doing this so they don't have to add backwards compatibility to 360 games in the next console generation. I'm not familiar with the Xbox 360 API architecture, but if they were forward thinking, they may have made the 360 run an interpreter that is written specifically for the console instead of raw machine code (which would make it impossible to run on anything that doesn't have the interpreter). It would then be possible to just write a Windows 8 specific interpreter that compiles the bit code at run-time to x86 machine code. AFAIK, the Xbox360 runs the DirectX API, so it might be at least plausible.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Easy solution to piracy: sell the game for pc late, like read dead redemption did.

or

Make xbox and 360 not read disks, take the Nintendo 64 approach.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    Easy solution to piracy: sell the game for pc late, like read dead redemption did.

or

Make xbox and 360 not read disks, take the Nintendo 64 approach.

RDR was never release for PC and so far, they don't have plans for that.

Also, cartridges were very much pirated...everything was pirated at it's time, no way around it.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator

An interesting article about piracy not equaling a lost sale.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Another-view-of-game-piracy
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    If this makes cross platform delivery easier, I'm all for it. I also hope it provides some competition in the digital download market. Competition is good for the consumer.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ah Chinese whispers.
    http://www.insideris.com/shocker-xbox-live-will-be-built-in-into-windows-8/
    Here's the original source of the blog post in the OP.
    "Xbox Live Will Be Built In Into Windows 8".(sic)

Move along people, nothing more to see here.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    RDR was never release for PC and so far, they don't have plans for that.

Also, cartridges were very much pirated...everything was pirated at it's time, no way around it.
    If the cartridge is in a format/size that cannot be read my pcs or macs it would be alot more frustrating, and to burn them. Its one of those things where if you pirate you risk messing up your console.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    If the cartridge is in a format/size that cannot be read my pcs or macs it would be alot more frustrating, and to burn them. Its one of those things where if you pirate you risk messing up your console.

Hmmm...
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    first i wanted to contribute to the topic of the tread and tell you something about the CLR but since its morphing into DRM VS PIRATE talk again, i say nothing about CLR
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn you all and your pirating talk!