Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xena - Brawl Fighter

aeryis
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
aeryis polycounter lvl 10
Was SO close but didn't finish in time. Very lame rig and skinning goin on here. It was panic time so I rushed through the rest and there were other things I wanted to do. Now with more time, gonna go back to rework the rig, skinning, and textures and stuff... I hate my Comp pose so I'm not posting it. I'll make a new one after I get things set up. I welcome your critiques, thanks.

Beauty Shot 1
xena_beauty_shot01.jpg

Beauty Shot 2
xena_beauty_shot02.jpg

Specs
xena_specs.jpg

Texture
xena_texture_sheet.jpg

WIP: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84012

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Big head mode?
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    ZacD wrote: »
    Big head mode?

yeah that was the first thing i noticed too... her head looks too big for her body. should be an easy fix. :D
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    agree on the head ;o nice tho!
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    The armour's looking a bit plain around the midsection but I like it.

ditto on the head size. Lucy "Bighead" Lawless can be scary.

p.s. joxer is better
  • Dashtoronto
    the head looks really nice tho.

and yes, she's a tad taller. I think she's actually taller than 5'11 in height in real life. don't quote me on that, but yes, she's an amazonian height in real life. something like 5'11. double check her real life stats on the internet. i read it somewhere she's quite tall.

she's looking a little shorter than 5'11 in your model of her
  • aeryis
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thanks for the crits! My mistake was that I didn't adjust the field of vision in marmoset, it was on it's default settings. (I was rushing...) Thus resulting in the "fish eye" effect making her head appear bigger.

Image on the left is rendered in Maya with a focal length of 50, and on the right is rendered in marmoset with a field of vision of 20. Apparently in Maya the lower the number the more orthographic the image becomes and the higher the number creates more of the fish eye effect. While in marmoset it's the complete opposite...:shifty:

xena_maya_FL_marmoset_FOV.jpg

I read all over the web Lucy having different heights. I went with 5'9.5" off of IMDb. For her look I wasn't going for exact feature for feature, but the features that made up the look for Xena, not Lucy. I really wanted to keep to realistic proportions. Keep the crits coming! More updates coming soon!

xena_heads.jpg
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Her tiny shoulders make her head look massive.
  • aeryis
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm calling it done. YAY! Feel free to critique. :D

Beauty Shot 1

xenanewbeautyshot01.jpg

Beauty Shot 2

xenanewbeautyshot02.jpg

Comp

xenacomp.png

Spec

xenanewspecshot.jpg

Texture

xenatexturesheet.jpg

And a 3rd beauty shot just for fun...

xenabeautyshot03.jpg
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    aeryis wrote: »

xenacomp.png

Congrats on finishing. I think focal length aside, the head still feels too large. Part of it is that the head might be too long in side view so that when you have her facing 3/4 like above it looks odd. The chest is also cinched up pretty high which crowds things up there and might be contributing to the big head look as well (makes her look younger).

Whatever it is, reference aside, sometimes you should go with your intuition and see if adjusting the proportions makes it look better. What might seem like over exaggeration can actually get you closer to reality than by going with what you initially think is "correct."

The ninja (?) idea is pretty cool. My crit on the design would be that there are too many repeated shapes throughout that makes it a little predictable. There aren't enough areas of rest to balance all those armor plate edges. The metals are also a little light and lacking in variation of values/hue making it feel somewhat toy-like and feeling very separate from the rest of the suit. Perhaps some painted shadows under the straps and stuff like that could also help bring it all together more.

It's a nice model though. I like the poses. Very clean work.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I'm with everyone else. The model looks great but the head is definitely too large. Makes all of her proportions look completely off. You did model the face spot on though, she's totally recognizable. I think maybe the problem is more that you got her head proportions correct, but her body is way too skinny... the shoulders aren't wide enough which makes her entire chest too small. She's basically tapering off from the hips to the neck and then she's got a big head so she looks like a champagne bottle.

Xena has way more meat on her than the average pinup and she's more curvy too.

chakram.jpg
  • aeryis
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your critiques! I truly appreciate them.

haikai: I see what you're talking about with her head being too wide in the profile view, and her ears being set too far back. About her proportions, most of the time I don't know whether to follow realistic proportions or do over-exaggerations. I can't decide on what artistic liberties to take and it all gets frustrating in my head. I figure what looks realistic in real life might not look correct in 3D. Unless I'm doing a lot of things wrong...? I asked a girl friend about Xena's chest. She said it looked alright and I figure if she's in a suit like that, her breast would be lifted and supported, haha. But adjusting the width of her shoulders might even out everything on top. As for the armor and suit, this is my first time attempting it. :D I'll work on it in future projects.

TorQue[MoD]: I agree with the big head. I'm sure if I adjust her head and body proportions, it'll look more balanced. I wanted to go a different route with her body-type. I imagine ninjas being more lean instead of Amazonian. More like a gymnast. Swift and light.

Maybe I'll come back in the future and make these adjustments. I just wish I got crits earlier before I got too far. What might look right to me might not look right to others. This is a wrap for now.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    cool. I can understand just wanting to be finished with the project and moving forward. Gotta draw the line somewhere. Like I said its awesome work. Also love that other chick in the red on your deviant art page.