Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Samurai Shodown, TamTam, Bbox85

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
Time to get crackin!!!! I'll be re-imagining TamTam's stage from Samurai Shodown:

505.png

Turns out that TamTam was a Mayan warrior, so I have some great stuff to reference. I always try to attack the areas that I feel I'm lacking in for these comps. Last time is was under water and this time it'll be Jungle. I'll be taking this in a very king kong inspired direction. Which means dense and exaggerated vegetation and grand vistas. Once I establish a convincing jungle setting I'll start adding in hints of Mayan ruins and Stone carvings to replace the totems and large statues in the back.

Here's my reference sheet:

Brawl_Ref.jpg

And here are some rough thumbnails of ideas that were going through my head:

Brawl_Thumbnails.jpg

I like certain elements from all of them so the final product will probably be a combination of... well, all of them.

Replies

• Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Sculpted out some Rocks and set up a quick vignette to see how they worked together. This screen doesn't necessarily reflect final layout of the stage. Just testing out surface detail and silhouette for now. Still figuring out how I'm gonna do the moss. I'll probably have to create a shader that will vary the moss based off the objects world position. That way it won't get so repetitive.

Brawl_vigniette.jpg

Rock_Sculpts.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I love the feel of the first reference piece, and the mayan idea is looking sexy.

I really like the angles on your last rough that are formed by the statues. I also really like the idea of a fallen city with the giant cracked head shows in the 5th rough. Layout-wise, I dig the framing on the 3rd one.

What kind of feel/mood are you going for?
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    JMYoung - Thanks for your feedback!! I've pretty much got the same feelings regarding the thumbnails. I'm leaning toward a combination of the perspective of 6, and the combination of the layout of 4 and 4 . I like how open 3 is and I think it'll give me a great opportunity for a nice vista. As far as feel and mood go, that first reference picture hits it on the head. That level of detail and a similar color palette. I need to come up with a clever way to implement some of the colors of the original scene though.
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! Glad to see ya here on Brawl! I look forward to what you come up with.

Also this post automatically subscribes me to the thread... thats good.
  • EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Nice thumbs~ I like the 4 and 5, for their depth possibility.
    The 4 would reflect more from the original stage I think.

I'm sure you'll come up with a great environment.
  • Mark Dygert
    I love samurai shodown! I like your ideas they're pretty awesome, good work so far! Keep it up!
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the comments guys!

So far, struggling with the space. Trying to do a combination of thumbs 1,3, and 4. For now I'm just using these meshes to block in a general idea of my composition. I'm then taking that and doing paint overs to see what works best. I notice that I lost a bit of detail with addition of moss to the rocks... It may or may not matter since i intend most of this stuff to be covered in thick vegetation, but i'm still gonna see what i can do to bring some of that detail back... I guess it's really not that important at the moment though.

Just wanted to post some sort of progress, it'd been a few days. Not so crazy about it's current state, so things are still subject to change...alot.

Brawl_02.jpg
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    It needs a camera tilt I think :) Looks like a good start man. I am not too sure about the moss on the rocks though. I know you are going for a jungle scene but it seems like you are losing a lot of the shape definition that you were getting when they were just stone. Just my 2 cents
  • Daven
  • Sean VanGorder
    That's coming along great man. I'm a sucker for good lighting.
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    looks great. i like the specularity on the rocks in the shot you posted before
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Update! Still trying to work out the establishing shot. Camera angles still aren't locked down... Probably because I'm not 100% sure on what's acceptable for our final submissions yet. Will probably have to widen the shot since it's currently pretty close. Lots and lots of vegetation to come. I've still got more ruins modules and of course the stone idols... Having a lot of fun so far though!! Losing sleep... but having fun!!

Ruin_Floor.jpg

Brawl_08.jpg

Brawl_09.jpg
  • EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice mood so far :) I love the ripple on the water surface.
    My only concern is that the cliff on the left seems a lil "blocky" maybe due to the shadow casting, which create some kind of straight lines.
    Great start anyway~
  • Inpw
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    It's already awesome. Can't imagine how it will looks at the finish
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome, love Samurai Shodown, gonna follow this. :D
  • spetch
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    looking good man, cant wait to see more stuff
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Love the atmosphere!
    makes me want to see more:)
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great. You've got a beautiful atmosphere already which will really help bring everything together. I look forward to seeing more!
  • stfu_donny
    really digging this so far, love the use of epic atmospheric perspective. cant wait to see how you incorporate the giant totem tiki mask sculptures on that scale
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great start! Looking forward to where this goes.
  • beezul
    my god this is gonna be awesome. looks hot so far. holy jebus
  • rambooze
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Wow. Great stuff. I like rocks. What did you use for the render? I like how you made the sun.
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
  • Thor Sowards
    Can't wait to see the statues!
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the compliments everyone!! I'm glad you're all diggin' the direction I'm taking. Every one of your comments helps me build momentum to get to the finish. So, thanks a bunch!!

dustinbrown - Agree with you 100%. What you saw earlier wasn't going to be my final composition, just a progress shot. I'm getting closer to nailing down the composition, but I'm not quite there yet. But I definitely intend to widen things up a bit to make it feel more like a fighting stage. I'll probably also try to incorporate more of a formal pathway probably going horizontal across the screen to distinguish the fighting area from the background. Something to resemble the ugly yellow platform in the original scene. But hopefully it's not ugly when i make it...

rv_el - Yeah, it'd been a while since my last update. I'll try not to let that happen again... YOU on the other hand... WHERE'S YOUR UPDATE?! HMMMM?!?!

rambooze - I'm a rock freak also! I tried to get some nice ones in for this scene, but it looks like they're just losing all form behind the vegetation. Not too big of a deal though since they aren't the main focus of the scene... at least not til I get the Stone Idols in there. As for the render, I'm using UDK. And that sun effect is simply the bloom from the dominant directional light.

Update:

Been working on vegetation mostly. Still needs some tweaking but I feel like it's getting there. The moss is translucent and having issues with the DOF, gonna see if I can figure that out. The composition isn't final yet, still have a lot to do in terms of that. I haven't done anything to the background yet... I'll be hitting that up very soon. The bloom is a bit intense right now, but I'm hoping once I break up the background with some tree silhouettes etc., you won't need sun glasses to look at the image.

Brawl_13.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I love this! Your rock pieces higher up in your post is to die for!

I can say that me and allot of others would kill for a small tutorial/general tips from you on the sculpting side! Just saying ;)
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    This thread deserves more replies!

Very good looking map Bbox85 :0
  • Inpw
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Just awesome!!
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    You sure this is not just a Crysis screen grab? :D
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Fantastic scene Bbox85. Slick vegetation you've got there.
    My only advice would be to block out the whole scene first to make sure that no drastic rearrangements will be necessary down the road. It looks great now and it would be a shame if you'd have to redo something or throw away just make things fit.

keep it up!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    This is brilliant!
    in terms of the moss reacting badly to DOF, have you tried checking use lit translucency depth pass on the material? just an idea.
    (i can't really see any flaw with it though!)
  • artician
    Offline / Send Message
    artician polycounter lvl 17
    One of my favorite fighting series. Nice work man. This is really taking the source material to another level.

Samurai Shodown always had some exaggerated saturation going on in their characters and environments. I'd love to see you work some of those elements into your final piece. I think the color would really give it some extra character. I look forward to the finished work!
  • jarrede
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    there are few that put such passion and love into rocks :)
  • NoChance
    It looks great but it feels less like a reimagining of the level and more of just making it next-gen. I mean the base setting and idea are all pretty much the same.
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Atleast he's actually posting and doing something. And it looks early on. don't launch the missles just yet.

WTF is "next-gen"?
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Tris. I fixed yo shit! Its 2am and I just fixed your Tam Tam. Here ya go man. Its got it all. Re-Envisioned Alter-Gen Color schema. Blue glowing. And wires with birds. I'm sorry I didn't spend much time on the wires there. But you can imagine it with a lot more wires... more birds.. more blue glowing. I tried to find my last-gen filter but i couldn't find it.. 8 bit filter robot halo dropship with twin cannons. Blue glowing on that for sure.. Double blue glowing thrusters future tech rivits on rivits.

Just imagine the trees are made out of metal tech with rivits and the rocks are disco artifacts from the 70's that the world has adapted into a floor built for the art of disco-dance-fighting... Round 1!

trisfix.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot one thing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa6Jtb4begw[/ame]
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    rv_el - HAHAHAHA!!!! You read my mind exactly!!! But i was thinking maybe more along the lines of post apocalyptic art deco space station in a volcano on a make shift floating island made up of sheet metal, pipes and wires. Then I'd have 2 suns for maximum god rays, and it'd be raining so I can have reflections on the ground by using the new dx11 features. All that with an outline post process like borderlands and bokeh depth of field. How bout' that? Totally re-imagined right!?!?!

NoChance - We kid :P In all seriousness, you're correct in saying that this isn't much of a re-imagination in the sense that it's still the same idea and setting. But I only say that because I assume that your definition of a re-imagination is taking something and throwing it into a different genre. (i.e. sci fi, steam punk, medieval, post apocalyptic). While that may be a way to re-imagine something, it's not the only way. When Peter Jackson and the folks at Weta re-imagined the world of King Kong... They didn't put it in space. Same with Tim Burton re-imagining Alice in Wonderland. They kept the idea and setting the same, rather re-imagined it in a way to deeply immerse the viewer in a fantastical world that triggered a feeling of nostalgia. And that's exactly what I'm trying to do here. I'm keeping the idea and setting the same... but when I close my eyes and think about what a small fighting ground in a mayan civilization looks like, this is how my IMAGINATION sees it. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just explaining my thought process behind my version of this re-imagination.

sltrOlsson - I'm glad you like it. I actually promised a friend of mine that I would set up a small tutorial on how I create my rocks. I'll be sure to make it available for anyone interested :) I'm not sure how soon that will be but it's something I've been planning to do.

c0ldhands - Hehe... Thanks bud. I hadn't really had too much practice with creating vegetation, so I try hard to make it convincing. I've been focusing a lot on silhouette, making sure you can't see the polys used to create the veg. The sub surface scattering also helps a bunch to make it that much more convincing.

d1ver - BLOCKOUT!? Gahhhhhhh (*stoops low in chair and kicks feet*) Hehe, Yeah man, I hear ya. If this were a game, the first thing I'd do would be to block this out. However, I feel like doing that for an image kind of hinders me. JUST ME THOUGH!! It's just the way my mind works. Things will inevitably change with this scene... and what may be cool now, I'll probably have to tweak to make room for other things. I have a very organic work flow. I treat this much like a painting... Ill block in my basic shapes, but I still allow for myself to step back and re-evaluate the image from time to time. As it evolves there will be certain aspects that may have once been awesome for the scene but no longer works. I pretty much just try to do whatever is best for the image. I mainly work with thumbnails and paintovers. I just want to let my mind do it's thing and not be restricted by a block out. But just to clarify, I'm not knockin' the block out. It's very important. I'm just stubborn... :P

ImSlightlyBored - I was messin' with that little checkbox in the material... wasn't doing anything. Maybe I'm just dumb... wasn't able to get it to work.

artician - Yeah!!!! I'm trying to think of clever ways to incorporate some saturated colors like in the original. It'll probably be mostly through exotic plants and some painted wood... perhaps the sky as well... Gah, Idunno... BUT IT'S GONNA HAPPEN!! :)
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Haha yeah we are just kidding around. I think staying up late working on stuff is making me crazy. But we go way back on these comps and like to fuck with each other a little bit.

I totaly should have used a screenshot of Halo and then just dropped some Tam Tam statue in it but make them "Cell phone towers".. lol!!!!

Keep it up man. I can't wait to see where this goes. Sorry I shit all over your thread.
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    rv_el - Haha, it's cool dude. It's all about having fun. Can't just tip toe around being all serious.

Ok...Update time:

Got the first pass for the faces in. They're still being tweaked. Trying to bring more color into the scene. I'm unsure whether or not to keep the water in the background... some days i like it, some days i don't.

Brawl_15.jpg
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    I'll just leave this here...

Mustache.jpg
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Rv_el's beard is more epic then that make it happen bbox! Looking good man liking the mood.
  • Chandler
    That vegetation is looking great, there's a ton of variety. The stone faces are cool, though at the moment they're reminding me more of Mount Rushmore than of Mayan idols (If you're still going for the Mayan thing). After doing a quick google search, it seems like some common elements of Mayan sculpture were exaggerated facial features (large/symbolic eyes, nose, ears and/or lips), defined/smoothly cut and sculpted features as opposed to the very rough feeling of your faces, and sometimes ceremonial headgear. Just something to keep in mind as you're tweaking them, the scene is looking sick man!
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Water in the background is cool but I think a waterfall like the ones you have in your reference pictures would be a much more interesting element, gives such an epic sense of scale.
  • EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with waterfall idea. The faces are really nice but it feels like the background of the scene is behind a layer of fog. Maybe a more gradual fog would help unifying the scene(and get back some contrast in the head structure).
    Anyway the composition is ace~
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Have the faces vomiting the waterfall. Brutal visceral face cringing with waterfall coming out of the mouth. I dunno. :)
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno. Just playing around. Thought i'd give it a try... All the faces are kinda spilling water into the center. and your kinda standing on one that isn't really flowing alot or some shit.. thats obviously in the sun light. Hopefully it hleps with the rusmmore thing.

I don't get it. I didn't think rushmore at all.. i really dont see the mt rushmore... but then again I guess I dont dig much into that icon (?)

paintover.jpg
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    rv_el - Thanks dude!!! Awesome paint over! Going that route fo sho!!

Ryan Hawkins - Check rv_el's thread :P

Chandler - Yeah, I was having the same issue. I didn't want to mention mt. rushmore just to see if anyone was feeling the same way. Still going through some tweaks to make it feel less so. I'm fighting a bit with whether i want to go full mayan with the stone idols in the back. Since they're so huge, i didn't want there to be much ornate details. For me, that just makes it feel a little less feasible.

felipefrango - Agreed :)

EzMeow - Shhhhh... It's because I'm hiding my slop... shhhhhhhh... Haha, I know what you're saying. The fog is a bit thick yes. Everything will be balanced out soon. Also, in general I feel like I need to bump the contrast up a tiny bit.

Mini Update -

Started working on the totems. Not your traditional totem, more like a stone sculpture. Tried to work in a few faces in there to make it feel more totem-ish. The bottom and back are serpents. They appear often in Mayan culture so I figured, why not! All in zbrush currently, texture is still very WIP. This actually might result in a resculpt of the large faces in the background to fit more with this style.

totem_02.jpg