Home Technical Talk

6 Maya questions.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
Everytime i start Maya i have to open preferences and set up the undo steps to
100 becouse Maya doesnt seem to remember this. what am i doing wrong ?

2. i want to use the keys 7,1,3 for top,front,side but ONLY for the numbers on
the numpad. (like blender) is this possible ?

3. is it possible to set Maya to really delete anything you want to delete
(vertecis,edges) ALL of this with a standard delete key ? I dont want to open
menys or hot different buttons to delete things.

4. Many times when i am in select face mode i can select other objects
aswell,this is really stupid becouse most of the times you end up selecting stuff
you dont want. is it any way you can make maya more strict in the edit modes so that it doesnt select other objects component ?

5. is it possible to set the camera to exactly to what you currently are seeing
inthe viewport ?

6. a lot of times i cant change name on my lambert, why ?

Replies

• Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Jimpaw

Not sure about the others but I know one way you can set the camera position. Set your camera to the way you like it then go to View> Select Camera and the Press S . This sets a key frame so when you want to move the camera back you can just move the time slider. You can also lock the attributes for the camera so you can move it at all.

Cheers

Murray.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    1. Why not set it to infinite instead of changing a number? If you are dead set on changing it to finite. Open up your user preferences file in Documents -> maya -> maya version -> prefs -> userPref with notepad

Search for -iv "undoLength" and change it from 50 to 100.

2. No idea

3. No clue.

4. Sounds like you have Ignore selection priority checked. Turn it off in Preferences -> Settings -> Selection -> Uncheck ignore selection priority

5. Press f ? It'll zoom to what you have selected and focus on that. Also you can always set a bookmark. Go to view - Bookmarks - Edit bookmarks or you can do the set key of camera.

6. If you're trying to edit lambert 1, maya wont let you as that's the default material being added to any object being created.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    1. thank you i changed it to infinite, worked perfect !

4. it didnt do any differece. what i mean is that when i am in "edit mode" i ONLY want to be able to select the vertz/faces/edges that are under that object, nor do i want the option to select another object before i enter object mode again, i think max has this as default. i am working on a huge level now and everytime i tru to change some face in a small object i always end up selecting other objects and faces. extremely frustrating.

5. thanks you worked perfect !

6. okay understood. thanks again !
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    1. No idea, this should work out of the box fine. I set mine to infinite and it stays that way forever unless Maya crashes. Maybe you've installed to a strange directory that you don't have rights to, try turning off all your UAC settings if you are using windows 7.

2. I don't think Maya considers the numpad and number keys to be different in the hotkey editor.

3. Not that I know of, you can't do this in Max either. You have two choices, delete edges with vertices or delete edge and leave vertices. I remapped regular delete to the x key and if I want to delete an edge and vertices at the same time I use the context sensitive menus, those are the quickest way around Maya. Shift + RMB brings up the context sensitive menu. If you wanted to map both these functionalities to one key you'd need a small script which queried the selection type, if component do this if object do this, I can't write mel but this should be easy for a tech artist.

4. That shouldn't be possible unless you have right clicked the wrong object or had both objects selected before you entered face mode. I use right click go to face on my selected object and I can't select faces on any other object.

5. Already answered above.

6. Already answered above.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    thanks alot malcolm.

3. i cant script at all.

4. still doesnt work.

one more question 1. Is it possible in the the shortcus editor to have 2 different functions set to

the same key ?

example: i want to have shift + d to cop a face in face mode and just get a copy
    in the same object NOT as a new object. as you know shift + d will copy the

object in object mode.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No not that I know of, the shelf buttons in Maya 2011 support single click and double click though which is handy, so you could do what you want but it would have to be a shelf button unfortunately. Shift d and just d are considered different though if you want to go that route in the hotkey editor.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    where can i find theese command ? i want to set them to shortcuts.

create uv based on camera.
    merge ( from menu)
    show normals
    flip normals
    merge
    extract
    combine
    render
    copy uv
    paste uv
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find the easiest way is usually to open up the script editor and see what's going on in there. Turn on echo all commands if nothing is happening as you perform the actions. I'd add these hotkeys to the user category in case you want to find them later and turn them off.

performPolyForceUVArgList "1" {"0", "camera", "ls -selection", "0"} ""

Not sure what you mean by merge, merge component?

What type of normals do you want to see?

performPolyNormal 0 -1 0;

polyMergeVertex -d 0.005 -am 1 -ch 1 ;

polyChipOff -ch 1 -kft 1 -dup 0 -off 0;

polyUnite -ch 1;

No idea?

polyClipboard -cp -uv;

polyClipboard -ps -uv;
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    awsome work man,thanks alot that really helped !

one more thing seperate, what should i write to do that ?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polySeparate -ch 1
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    malcolm wrote: »
    polySeparate -ch 1

thanks man ! ,

one last question ;) i have set my dublicate face to shift + d , but when i use the command the dublicated face doesnt stay selected (i think maya is like this as default aswell) it can be a littlebit tedious becouse if the face are located on the exact same cordinated as the original one maya tend to select the bigger object more easy. is there any way to fix so that the dublicate face gets selected instead ?
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    malcolm wrote: »
    polySeparate -ch 1

// Error: Invalid selection : polySeparate needs exactly 1 polygonal object or polygonal faces from one object.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seperate only works on meshes that have been combined, I think what you want is extract face. You can't be in component mode when you seperate something. Hotkeying the duplicate face should work fine, it should duplicate the face to a seperate object, look in the outliner you there should be 2 meshes after you run duplicate face.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    okay its like this, if i create two boxes, combine them with my "+" key the become one object, then i want to be able to select one bob by selecting thoose faces and the hit "-" to seperate thoose to another object, isnt that "seperate" ?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, separate works in object mode not face mode and will separate all the meshes that do not share any welded verts. If you want it to work on faces you'll need to use extract.