Home Technical Talk

10 Questions Various programs.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
1. 3dsmax 2011 uv acting strange, when i go in to the uv editor,open the options slot at the bottom and change the weld treshold to 1.0 (i have to do this otherwise
the weld shortcut key wont work at all !, and then i save this as the fault, if i close the window and open up the window again 3dsmax doesnt save this so i have to
go back and set the value to one again,is it any way around this ?

2. can change the settings that i want and make 3dsmax remember it when i start, i mean like in Blender, not just specific settings but really anything ?

3. . Mudbox, When i use projection painting with a normal image on my human model it becomes much more darker in the viewport than the original texture
It looks like you have taken the texture in photoshop created a new layer and blended the black layer with the original with 40 %, even when i use
use flat light why ?.

4. When i import a model to Mudbox with a texture and correct uv assigned to it the textures always disapears (i am importing obj), if i try to paint on that
model mudbox will just create a new paint layer, how do i do to find the already assigned texture and link it up again inside Mudbox ?

5. I am trying to get in to the industry. I love fantasy games and are right now trying to create a good portfoolio. What type of object should i make,and does it
matter alot if i have painted the original consept myself or just try to show of my modeling tricks by modeling someones elses consept (this is the pipeline in game
dev anyway right ). I was thinking about making a house,character,tree. and so on.

6. I was wondering if someone know any megapack of consept picktures for download on the net ? , lets say like a gigabyta of weapons. i daily search for textures on
cg textures,but it whould be nice with a really fat zip with alot of textures. Oh, and if someonr wants alot of picture, just let me know and i can make a zip for you
and send it i have tons of stuff.

7. I have made a lowpoly character and wonder what way to present in ?, iI have heard alot about mentalray, what is the easiest way to create a good lightning
scene for your characters ?

8. What is the easiest way to bake ambient to textures?, i am using textools at the moment but i feel that the shadows display the edges to much, i need a smoother
look, how can i do that ?

9. Is it any more baking maps that really help you to set the foundation fot your texture like A0 baking does? (i mix ao on the diffuse channel in Photoshop).

10. In 3dsmax 2011 when working in the uv editorn everytime i select a shell it comes up this really anoying transformation gizmo in the center, half of the time i am
selecting that, how can i make this cross go away ?

,Thanks

Replies

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I'll try to answer some of your question;

1. Every things works fine here, when I set as default max will remember the setting, but probably you can try to run max as admin and change the setting and set that as default can fix your problem. About the Weld Threshold also I leave it as default at 0.01. What do you mean by shortcut doesn't work? which shortcut?..for me I personally didn't use Weld Selected (Ctrl+W, if that's what you mean) but instead I use Stitch Selected and bind it to a keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+S. It'll automatically snap the shell to the target + Stitch it together.

2. Again, which setting?..of course Max will remember your preferences setting, but it just can't export it to a file (as far as I know).

6. This one sounds cool!..I mainly search for texture in CGTextures too. What texture sets do you have to share to polycounters?

7. For low poly game character the best way to present it in your portfolio is by showing it real time aka viewport grab. Use Xoliulshader or 3point shader will be more than enough to present your low poly model in Max's viewport. But you can try to look for Marmoset or UDK for another stand-alone based apps to preview your model.

8. Hrmm..Max's default is nice for starting point. Usually I combine with AO baking from ZBrush, and yea I multiplied it with diffuse texture inside of Photoshop.

9. Diffuse +Spec +Gloss + Normal..sometimes Glow, but not every time, depends on your model/ design.

10. Well, that must be the FreeForm Mode, right?..I use that for selecting and moving small thin groups of UV shells (like wire stuff), otherwise i use the normal move scale rotate.

Awrite, that's it from me. Sorry if I make some mistake in this post, but hopefully can help you in some way! There's definitely a lot of professional people in here that can help you more with your problem! Cheers.

_Revel
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    1. I am not trying to stitch a seam from one island togeter. I want two identical shells to lay in top of each other
    and then being able to mark all the vertecies and snap all verts to its closest vert. The stitch tool didnt to that

for me.

2. nope there are many settings in the viewport you cant save and many settings. In Blender you can save everything
    you can even choose ehat kind of object you want as default in a scene.

6. The Textures that i have ar all downloaded from google,sites and so on .I do not garantee that theese are all legal, they are downloaded from the internet thats all i can say, many screenshots from games,stockphotos,textures. and so on.
    i Would love to get more of this styff from other so if you want it just let me know !

7. how do i Install theese shaders in max?, i actually looked at one of theese pages but never understood how.

9. I dont mean seperate, only different type of baking that you can actually blend in your diffuse layer to get a more
    good looking texture. Lets say like AO but some baking that gives light on edges ,something like that.

10. yes freeform. thanks alot for the help man ! , awsome !
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    1. Ah sorry, I misunderstood the question. If that's the case, why don't you use the copy and paste option then (if you have the very same UV shell)?

2. I saw in 3DS Clean thread here that you can set some setting like start up object/ grid on or off/ viewport statistic by saving it as "maxstart.max" and replace the original masxtart.max but I just couldn't find where is that file. If anyone can help in this question will be great!

7. For Xoliulshader (or any other real time shader that you find) you have to apply the DirectX shader type and choose the .fx file that you download from his site apply it to the DirectX. But for 3Point shader you just have to install the .mzp file into Max and the 3pointShader type is available for you to choose from the list.

9. Ah I see. Not sure, for me it really depends on the situation and what kind of direction/ design that you want to achieve. The best way to know this is to post some picture and ask for help to achieve a certain direction that you don't know how. So start posting image! :)

Heheh..my pleasure man to help other peoples problem.

_Revel
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    2. maxstart.max goes under Scenes directory, like C\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\Scenes
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    1. Ah sorry, I misunderstood the question. If that's the case, why don't you use the copy and paste option then (if you have the very same UV shell)?

I tryed this tool and it worked amazing ( only tryed it on simple objects) What if lets say i have flatten half of a human face and then i want to take the other half and lay it ontop and make it snap perfectly,the topolgy is the same but some vertz in the editor have been distorted on this other half. will this tool handle to snap allt the verts in the right spot ?
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Noors
    So it doesn't automatically created by max, we have to create it our self..that's why I didn't found it by default hehehh..thanks.

@jimpaw
    Did you mean the character face are symmetrical?..then you can do just half of the face (literally half), unwrap it, and mirror it. With that the UV will automatically place on top of the other half. Sometimes copy and paste trick messed up the UV with mirrored object, but if you do half and mirror it afterward, it should be ok.

_Revel
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    3. if you use flat light there sould be no color change...
    may we see a screengab..?

4. use fbx to get assigned textures...
    or go to the paint layer tab and use import layer...
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    4. Thanks man worked perfectly.

3. take a look at the picture.
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Revel wrote: »
    @Noors
    So it doesn't automatically created by max, we have to create it our self..that's why I didn't found it by default hehehh..thanks.

@jimpaw
    Did you mean the character face are symmetrical?..then you can do just half of the face (literally half), unwrap it, and mirror it. With that the UV will automatically place on top of the other half. Sometimes copy and paste trick messed up the UV with mirrored object, but if you do half and mirror it afterward, it should be ok.

_Revel

Lets say if i unwrap an model with alot of parts that could be used again and share the texture space. i need a command that makes it easy to snap each vertex to its closes naybor. have a look at the picture. Lets say that the number one is correctly aligned, if i want to make the number two share that space generally i snap the vertecies by hand. does copy and paste take care of this problem ?
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Ah I see, now if the situation is like that I'm afraid copy and paste didn't work correctly (but you can try it though and undo back if its looks wrong), look at the image..

stacking.jpg

Did you notice the snap button?..turn that on and drag the marked verts into the same position of the one that you want to stack it on top of, with the snap on, it will automatically snap to that verts when you drag close enough.

_Revel
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    jimpaw wrote: »
    4. Thanks man worked perfectly.

3. take a look at the picture.

there is no picture...
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Hi again man, i am already doing this. What i want to be able to do is to grab the entire island place it over the first island and then make it snap to the closest vert. You can do this by using weld (ctrl + w ) but only if they are close enought, i want a button that understands the topology ,it shouldnt be that hart to make. thanks anyway man ! ,
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    oglu wrote: »
    there is no picture...

Okay here we go.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Choose a completely white base texture, maybe that helps
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    that should not happen...
    are you using a colored brush..? the brush need to be white...
    mud is using the brush color as a multiplyer...
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Okay i Will try that, does anyone of you know how camera map work in textools? , i really need help with that. What program are you using Oglu,SpeCter,Revel ?
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    im a maya user... so ive no idea how those textools work... sry...
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I use Max, but didn't use TexTools either. I'm interested to explore that tools further, but seems like the latest version still got bugs for some user, probably will install it in the next release!..why don't you post your question in TexTools thread?..you might get an answer from renderhjs him self.

_Revel
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I´m a Max user aswell, but i never used camera map to begin with, because i use Mudbox for that reason.
    But i think there was a video tutorial sort of thing in the textools thread or on the website which showed the camera map feature.

Here it is:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEWqvrXaJE0&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=5HWQKG-_Zt0[/ame]
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    I have done that already,no answer.
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    That video is not 4.10 it looks different now.I have started to use blender again at my sparetime, i just couldnt stand 3dsmax anymore, god that program really sucks. I have tryed modo aswell, that seems to be an awsome program but not a 3d model feeling to it. Mudbox have the same options as cameramap i know, but for some reason my model wont work (have alook at my other post about mudbox problem ,you know the answer to this ?) http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77683

Thanks man !