1. 3dsmax 2011 uv acting strange, when i go in to the uv editor,open the options slot at the bottom and change the weld treshold to 1.0 (i have to do this otherwise
the weld shortcut key wont work at all !, and then i save this as the fault, if i close the window and open up the window again 3dsmax doesnt save this so i have to
go back and set the value to one again,is it any way around this ?
2. can change the settings that i want and make 3dsmax remember it when i start, i mean like in Blender, not just specific settings but really anything ?
3. . Mudbox, When i use projection painting with a normal image on my human model it becomes much more darker in the viewport than the original texture
It looks like you have taken the texture in photoshop created a new layer and blended the black layer with the original with 40 %, even when i use
use flat light why ?.
4. When i import a model to Mudbox with a texture and correct uv assigned to it the textures always disapears (i am importing obj), if i try to paint on that
model mudbox will just create a new paint layer, how do i do to find the already assigned texture and link it up again inside Mudbox ?
5. I am trying to get in to the industry. I love fantasy games and are right now trying to create a good portfoolio. What type of object should i make,and does it
matter alot if i have painted the original consept myself or just try to show of my modeling tricks by modeling someones elses consept (this is the pipeline in game
dev anyway right ). I was thinking about making a house,character,tree. and so on.
6. I was wondering if someone know any megapack of consept picktures for download on the net ? , lets say like a gigabyta of weapons. i daily search for textures on
cg textures,but it whould be nice with a really fat zip with alot of textures. Oh, and if someonr wants alot of picture, just let me know and i can make a zip for you
and send it i have tons of stuff.
7. I have made a lowpoly character and wonder what way to present in ?, iI have heard alot about mentalray, what is the easiest way to create a good lightning
scene for your characters ?
8. What is the easiest way to bake ambient to textures?, i am using textools at the moment but i feel that the shadows display the edges to much, i need a smoother
look, how can i do that ?
9. Is it any more baking maps that really help you to set the foundation fot your texture like A0 baking does? (i mix ao on the diffuse channel in Photoshop).
10. In 3dsmax 2011 when working in the uv editorn everytime i select a shell it comes up this really anoying transformation gizmo in the center, half of the time i am
selecting that, how can i make this cross go away ?
1. Every things works fine here, when I set as default max will remember the setting, but probably you can try to run max as admin and change the setting and set that as default can fix your problem. About the Weld Threshold also I leave it as default at 0.01. What do you mean by shortcut doesn't work? which shortcut?..for me I personally didn't use Weld Selected (Ctrl+W, if that's what you mean) but instead I use Stitch Selected and bind it to a keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+S. It'll automatically snap the shell to the target + Stitch it together.
2. Again, which setting?..of course Max will remember your preferences setting, but it just can't export it to a file (as far as I know).
6. This one sounds cool!..I mainly search for texture in CGTextures too. What texture sets do you have to share to polycounters?
7. For low poly game character the best way to present it in your portfolio is by showing it real time aka viewport grab. Use Xoliulshader or 3point shader will be more than enough to present your low poly model in Max's viewport. But you can try to look for Marmoset or UDK for another stand-alone based apps to preview your model.
8. Hrmm..Max's default is nice for starting point. Usually I combine with AO baking from ZBrush, and yea I multiplied it with diffuse texture inside of Photoshop.
9. Diffuse +Spec +Gloss + Normal..sometimes Glow, but not every time, depends on your model/ design.
10. Well, that must be the FreeForm Mode, right?..I use that for selecting and moving small thin groups of UV shells (like wire stuff), otherwise i use the normal move scale rotate.
Awrite, that's it from me. Sorry if I make some mistake in this post, but hopefully can help you in some way! There's definitely a lot of professional people in here that can help you more with your problem! Cheers.
and then being able to mark all the vertecies and snap all verts to its closest vert. The stitch tool didnt to that
2. nope there are many settings in the viewport you cant save and many settings. In Blender you can save everything
you can even choose ehat kind of object you want as default in a scene.
6. The Textures that i have ar all downloaded from google,sites and so on .I do not garantee that theese are all legal, they are downloaded from the internet thats all i can say, many screenshots from games,stockphotos,textures. and so on.
i Would love to get more of this styff from other so if you want it just let me know !
7. how do i Install theese shaders in max?, i actually looked at one of theese pages but never understood how.
9. I dont mean seperate, only different type of baking that you can actually blend in your diffuse layer to get a more
good looking texture. Lets say like AO but some baking that gives light on edges ,something like that.
10. yes freeform. thanks alot for the help man ! , awsome !
2. I saw in 3DS Clean thread here that you can set some setting like start up object/ grid on or off/ viewport statistic by saving it as "maxstart.max" and replace the original masxtart.max but I just couldn't find where is that file. If anyone can help in this question will be great!
7. For Xoliulshader (or any other real time shader that you find) you have to apply the DirectX shader type and choose the .fx file that you download from his site apply it to the DirectX. But for 3Point shader you just have to install the .mzp file into Max and the 3pointShader type is available for you to choose from the list.
9. Ah I see. Not sure, for me it really depends on the situation and what kind of direction/ design that you want to achieve. The best way to know this is to post some picture and ask for help to achieve a certain direction that you don't know how. So start posting image!
Heheh..my pleasure man to help other peoples problem.
I tryed this tool and it worked amazing ( only tryed it on simple objects) What if lets say i have flatten half of a human face and then i want to take the other half and lay it ontop and make it snap perfectly,the topolgy is the same but some vertz in the editor have been distorted on this other half. will this tool handle to snap allt the verts in the right spot ?
So it doesn't automatically created by max, we have to create it our self..that's why I didn't found it by default hehehh..thanks.
Did you mean the character face are symmetrical?..then you can do just half of the face (literally half), unwrap it, and mirror it. With that the UV will automatically place on top of the other half. Sometimes copy and paste trick messed up the UV with mirrored object, but if you do half and mirror it afterward, it should be ok.
may we see a screengab..?
4. use fbx to get assigned textures...
or go to the paint layer tab and use import layer...
3. take a look at the picture.
Lets say if i unwrap an model with alot of parts that could be used again and share the texture space. i need a command that makes it easy to snap each vertex to its closes naybor. have a look at the picture. Lets say that the number one is correctly aligned, if i want to make the number two share that space generally i snap the vertecies by hand. does copy and paste take care of this problem ?
Did you notice the snap button?..turn that on and drag the marked verts into the same position of the one that you want to stack it on top of, with the snap on, it will automatically snap to that verts when you drag close enough.
there is no picture...
Okay here we go.
are you using a colored brush..? the brush need to be white...
mud is using the brush color as a multiplyer...
But i think there was a video tutorial sort of thing in the textools thread or on the website which showed the camera map feature.
Here it is:
Thanks man !