Home General Discussion

Advice regarding relevant educational background for 3d environment artists?

Hi all,

I'm a new member here to polycount. I am interested in becoming a 3d environment artist for the game industry, and I just wanted to ask what would be relevant educational backgrounds outside of an actual 3d course. I am just curious to see where environment artists usually come from, and/or what they wish they've done before becoming an environment artist!

A little about myself, I'm unfortunately as wet behind the ears as newbies come. I currently don't have any formal art training, and I've only picked up traditional drawing for the past couple of months as I've realized that I needed a big career change after a good year of work experience. I'm still young (just in my last year of my non-art related BA) and I've zoned in on two local schools which have good 3d programs. The question is, what formal education should I do before getting into a 3d program since right now I have no formal art training?

My first idea was to get into a 2d traditional animation program offered by one of the schools I am looking at, but I have doubts about that route because I might feel like it would be mostly filler for me since I'm set on doing modelling environments. Perhaps I should look into more traditional art disciplines like painting--so I can actually have environments as my subject and perhaps help with textures?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated :)

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Two schools of thought here:

1; a traditional art background teaches a lot.

2; the right education teaches you many game engines. Guildhall, for example, those students come out of there with various engine experience.

That leads to a subjective response of which of those is better. That said, coming from me, the more REAL GAME ART you have in a portfolio is more valuable to myself,

but at the end of the day, awesome art will be hire before anything else. Or maybe not, what a pain in the ass this industry is. Can't somebody tell me honestly what works and what doesn't?

OK, will do. It's WHO you know. :(
  • cienokahlo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    OK, will do. It's WHO you know. :(

Haha, well I'm not surprised there! Thanks for your response :) I've asked this animation vs. fine art question to others and I've been mixed responses. A person stated that having an insight into animation will be beneficial to all the artists in a production, but perhaps that is more true for film than games?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to be an environment artist, you need to be a good artist, period. There's a lot of competition.

If you don't want to self-train (there are a lot of resources on the web, and here) then get into a traditional art course, and work hard.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What 2 schools are you looking at? There's a lot of schools that claim they have a good 3D program, but then turn out to be crap and you can't get a job after graduation.
  • cienokahlo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Eric: Thanks for the link. I've been looking at the wiki here and I didn't realize that there was a 2d tutorial! I enjoy self-training but I simply perform better in a more formal and structured environment. Hopefully I can self-train while being enrolled in a program that has no filler for me...

@ ZacD: I'm based in Vancouver, Canada (yes I've seen some fellow Vancouverite newbies on these boards). I'm looking at Capilano College's 3d program, and BCIT's.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I looked but I didn't see any programs catered towards the game industry, unless I'm missing something.
  • cienokahlo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well both programs aren't game specific and lean toward animation in film, but are certainly more reasonably priced than the other schools in the city:

Capilano Digital Animation: http://www.gradshow.com/animation-programs/digital-animation/about-digital-animation

BCIT Digital Animation: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/6435cert#details

I've heard great things about Capilano and know people who are in it/graduated, saw the grad work, etc. I'm definitely aiming for Capilano over BCIT. BCIT is more of a technical trade school in BC, it doesn't have the marketing budget of VFS but hey--school is just a tool.

I'm not looking into a game-specific school. I'm looking at either:
    (a) 2d animation certificate + digital animation certificate
    -3 years total
    -pros: understanding basics of animation, 2d animation can stand on its own (although it is an even more difficult job market). 2d internship opportunities.
    -cons: not so much time doing colour/textures, big focus on animation may not be too relevant. Intense time learning 2d animation may leave less time for learning 3d on my own.

(b) fine art certificate at local community college + digital animation certificate
    -3 years total
    -pros: traditional art background, art history, the usual things that people say what is good about a general fine arts education. I might even be able to skip out on some filler credits because I already will be done my non-art degree at the biggest university in the province (at least I won't have VISA problems...). Less intense than the 2d animation certificate, which would allow me a lot more time on 3d on my own.
    -cons: fine art certificate not great on its own... but I already have my non-art BA to back me up a generic white collar job and if god is merciful, civil service. Networking opportunities not as great because people pursuing fine art certificate at this college are honestly likely more likely slackers fresh out of high school. No internship opportunities.

Also, a final consideration... cost: the same give or take 200 dollars... which is negligible over 3 years.

Now that I'm done trying to justify why I think my situation is unique (I do know how to search the forums :)), comment away!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    well I don't know how either of those courses are going to help give you the tools you need to be a successful environment artist. If you're really serious about it, you could learn everything you need to know on your own if you just spent enough time browsing forums like polycount and continually working on actually building environments. A good way to gain experience and grow your skills would be to join a mod team as well.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    EricV wrote: »
    well I don't know how either of those courses are going to help give you the tools you need to be a successful environment artist. If you're really serious about it, you could learn everything you need to know on your own if you just spent enough time browsing forums like polycount and continually working on actually building environments. A good way to gain experience and grow your skills would be to join a mod team as well.

This is a very good choice if you have EXTREME determination and willpower. I've been working on my own for the past few months and I have been learning things but not nearly close to the rate I'd like to due to being distracted by games, the internet and other things. You have to be able to set deadlines for yourself and follow them which is very tough to do when you know there will be no immediate consequences for not meeting them. If you don't think you'll be able to do this, you should definitely consider going to school, even if it won't completely help you with environment art, just for the deadlines and being able to meet people.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Based on my learning experience, it's also rather difficult (in self-study) to set goals that are easy enough to reach, but difficult enough to help you to grow. I mean, until you've done the stuff, you don't really know what reasonable work and deadlines are, so, at first, it's easy to be demotivated either by being overwhelmed by a difficult project or frustrated by never making something that looks impressive.
    Combine that with not having real consequences to not making your own deadlines, and you need a monster work ethic to make that work.

I think, seeing as you'll already have a degree, the degree and qualifications aren't as important anymore (and it's all about the skills and portfolio anyway), so you could focus more on learning exactly what you want to learn. Take a bunch of short courses to fill the gaps. Certainly some 3D and traditional painting courses would be pro. And you could always mess around with getting your environments into demo or free versions of game engines too, once you've made something cool.

I don't feel that either of those courses you've listed are appropriate. (Although if you HAD to choose one of those, I'd recommend the fine arts one, if only for painting and maybe sculpting experience, as there are a tonne of skills you learn there that carry across to digital 3D work.)

Of course, I say this as a lurking noob, so take it with a bucket of salt. And those VFS showreels make me sad.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    cholden makes some good points. I do Environment art and I came from a fine art background which has served me well, but i feel that my lack of experience working with various game engines puts me at a real disadvantage against other enviro artists. Now that something I am working on my own to learn be proficient in. You might find that you want to take a course that more focused they other way and spend your nights and weekends working on your art fundamentals.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    My old AD and lead env artist a while back both went to cap college and said it was really good. Studying architecture either on the side or some type of course could also be really beneficial. maybe pick up a couple books on the subject.