Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warsoup

thomasmahler
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys,

Currently working on a RTS / FPS Mix right now and thought I'd post some of the stuff here.

You can test a quick tech demo over at http://www.warsoup.com

First Pass on the character:

character_09.jpg

They're supposed to be a little... 'generic' so they can be decked out later on with customization and stuff. Sorta like Sackboy. The realtime shader doesn't show stuff under an alpha, so the head isn't properly shaded in this shot.

The whole idea is to have small characters that are easy to read in the environments. I'm going for sort of a mix between Dan Paladins Art and TF2.

Lemme show you guys the highPoly sculpt:

character_05.jpg
character_05b.jpg

Would love to know which version you guys prefer. We have a split between the two styles - the simpler one is cuter and lends itself better to customization, wheres the more detailed one is a little more... 'sophisticated'. Would love to know which version you guys found more appealing at first glance.

I'll keep this thread updated :)

Replies

• Disco Stu
    Hmm.
    Maybe both and many more! :D

Really impressive what can be done in a webplayer today.
    Was fun to shoot neox´s space beavers ^^
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I'd be interested in the detailed version without the nose.
    I'm assuming it's the outfits that would be decked-out and not the faces? if there's an example or two showing a decked-out version it might help to see how the detail is then distributed and make a better decision.
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    We think it'd be cool if you could get beards, mustaches, eye wear and stuff like that.

The actual Suit will be upgradeable during the game - so you'll buy armor pieces and you actually see them on the models so that the player is able to judge how much hp the enemy has before he attacks. This will be layered geo on top of the suit that's shown here.

Don't have the decked out stuff yet, just started bringing the char into the game and doing some first anims:

http://www.warsoup.com/files/animation
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    as said before, face sucks :P
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I know its sunday and all, but I can't beleive there aren't more replies to this.

so played the tech demo, a little buggy but very very cool to blow up space hamsters, big thumbs up for that :thumbup: the test anim's are pretty cool as well but too early to say much I think,

for the face, if It was me doing it I'd go with detailed eye's/no nose, I tihnk it goes better with the level of base detail in the suit, and the idea of a moustache without a nose above it tickles me inappropriately to no end.

character_05_NoNose.jpg
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Scudz: Very cool, thanks a lot for the paintover!

Yeah, I was also already thinking about that, since I always loved the art of Akihiko Yoshida and his nose-less designs were always pretty awesome. Let's see what the guys say to that :)

Also, working on the Plasma Gun Model, still early WIP, have to work out the shapes for FPS view, doesn't quite work yet, but heck:

fpsTest_02.jpg

The concepts from Jaster:

guns.jpg
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    915e9d81e1_9718940_o2.jpg

The demo looks great, I can't believe you can do this in a browser, heh. I agree with Scudz, detailed with no nose :thumbup:

Can't wait to see/play more :)
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for today, trying to get the gun model to work - still super early, but feel like I'm getting there. Note that the shader is sorta bullshit, just quickly slapped the shader from the gloves onto the gun, so it feels more coherent.

fpsTest_03.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I like the more detailed one. Also, the game is fun already.
    I DEMAND MOAR
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick question, non art-related: Did you guys figure out how to upgrade the Plasma Rifle?
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this unity stuff is sooo cool..

like it and with neox strange space beaver you can't do anything wrong.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    haha it already is removed from the milestones and was made for the trashbin xD
  • Mio
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    nice! love the style!
  • Jon Rush
    Great style! His hind pose has a nice feel to it...

I agree on ditching the nose as well!
  • J1MJ4M v6
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update from Jaster:

PlasmaGun
    PlasmaRifle
    PlasmaCannon

guns_01.jpg

I like :)
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Now that is how you do it!! Each gun sharing details from the last gives it a great feeling of wholeness. They are of the same brand, and from the same people only more and more powerful. Id make one more upgrade that is the top of the line that is like the noisy cricket from men in black. Smaller than all others and beyond powerful.
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    cool style! Like MickeyD's I'm lovin it. I'll also put my vote for the no nose version.
  • Illusive
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    i love where this is going. really great style, love the simplicity.
    have to agree with scudz about the nose. it's a good nose but if the other characters are without noses then i think he should be too but also it breaks up the face a bit and adds to the simplistic style you're going for
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Jasters take on FPS Plasma Gun:

file.php?id=24

And an older update, shadertest to see how the design of gun / hand / arm would fit together:

fpsTest_03b.jpg

(The red shader on the gun reminded me of the old NES Lightgun, hahaha).

Still early stuff, but coming together :)
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some video diaries every now and then regarding updates:

www.warsoup.com/files/weaponCapture_01.mp4

Still quite some stuff left to do, but if there's any more feedback out there, I'd love to hear it :)
  • ShadowBrain
    Woahwoahwoah, slow down man!
    I had to go through the video twice to understand what you were saying, you talk so fast!
  • Disco Stu
    Nah theres just a lot of people who talk to slow ^^
    Nice update!
  • MFTituS
    Offline / Send Message
    MFTituS polycounter lvl 6
    cool guy. i like the simple solution better. it has more appeal and cuteness. especially if he should be used for a generic enemy it would be hard to make it not obvious with the detailed character face.
    the simple one looks like a cute alien in a space suit. the other version reminds me of an angry potato pressed into a microwave :)

one thing that could be improved are the folds on his trousers. the more down it goes the chaotic and crude they become. i would prefer less folds and more well placed and shaped.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i told him i would clean the pants, he doesn't let me and wants me to do guns :X
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I really like the gun with just the body (dunno part names) in red, the first part you apply it to in the video, there was something very classy to that look.
    and didnn't think it was too fast at all.

and, erm, at the risk of being ostracized for eternity, could you maybe end your next video by yelling "Get to the Chopper!" ?
  • Disco Stu
    I say let neox have a go or match his style ^^
  • The Scrub
    I checked the little display
    do you play TF2?
    Killicongrenadelauncher.png
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    i told him i would clean the pants, he doesn't let me and wants me to do guns :X

Nah, I want you to do both.

;)

the highRes is actually in the SVN, so if you want to, have at it :)

Just making sure we're on the right track to get the vertical slice done. Guns / Turret / Map Props are the most important things on our list now.

@ShadowBrain: I'm sorry - I usually record those videos at like 2 or 3am, so I'm freaking tired. No idea why I said 'man' at the end of the video either, lol.

@MFTitus: Yeah, Neox has already told me around 500 times that this area needs to be cleaned up. Will do!

@Scudz: Hmmm, yeah, have to think about the way to shade it. Want to get all the PlasmaGun Tiers done asap, then we'll decide.

@Scrub: Yeap, I LOVE TF2 and Valve's stuff is of course a huge inspiration. We really start to deviate from it now, but I often times copy stuff at the start to get an idea of what things could look like and then take it from there. I think the biggest inspirations definitely are TF2, Dan Paladins Art, Metal Slug and Burning Safari (environments).

Glad you guys like where it's going. There will be new gameplay tests relatively soon, we're already working heavily on our network code and making sure that 1v1s (and maybe 2v2s) work for our slice.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i like the face with features. has some cool character))
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on those weapons quite a bit. Still early, still quite a bit stuff to do, but we've got em blocked out and playing around with the realtime shaders:

PlasmaWeaponComparison_02.jpg
    PlasmaWeaponComparison_03.jpg

Video:

http://www.warsoup.com/files/weaponCapture_03.mp4
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Screen on the cannon looks like a mobile phone that's been attached to the gun. I'm not saying that is an outright bad thing, but the larger screens don't look integrated into the gun like the smaller one does at all.

I'd like to see some larger distinguishable differences between back end of the rifle and the cannon, the only really noticeable difference is the wires. Some kind of visual difference in the red bit just under the display would help.
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    Screen on the cannon looks like a mobile phone that's been attached to the gun. I'm not saying that is an outright bad thing, but the larger screens don't look integrated into the gun like the smaller one does at all.

Yeap, been thinking the same thing:

PlasmaWeaponComparison_03b.jpg

Still playing around with it. Johannes still wants to concept over it and make everything a little more stylized.
    I'd like to see some larger distinguishable differences between back end of the rifle and the cannon, the only really noticeable difference is the wires. Some kind of visual difference in the red bit just under the display would help.

Agreed :) Next update.
  • bbob
    Fuck, this is way cool..
  • ScudzAlmighty
    smaller screen is definatley better.

I really like the pistol but I'm not crazy about the top part that ties all 3 together. It works well with the pistol, but I think it really clashes with the body of the first one, and just leaves the second looking like the assualt rifle from Mass Effect.
    I guess it's not so obvious in a side-by-side comparrison, and maybe even more different without the arm blocking the bottom magazine, but it's the very first thing I thought when the image loaded.

-I'd actually recommend looking up some Nerf or Supersoaker ref to really change it up.

I love Nerf.
  • 55joe
    i love it! cant wait to see it finished
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to quickly throw this out there, since we do have some arguments regarding taunts and the voices we'll use for our characters - and since we've been talking a bit about our characters here, I'd love to hear some opinions.

Right now, we're talking about something along the lines of this:

http://www.warsoup.com/files/voicesamples

Which would be played every now and then based on the action in the game - the quality of the clips is relatively low and everything, but I did design the characters back then with the idea in mind that we could have simple characters that could define themselves through their actions and voices while still keeping them generic enough, much like South Park, etc.

For promo stuff, it'd be super sweet to have one personality for the blue guy and one personality for the red guy - and create some funny, short videos explaining gameplay and rules with that material. We'll probably start by just doing simple animation tests using this material to see how people react to it.

Would love to know what you guys think about that - This is really going far beyond the vertical slice, where we won't have voices and taunts, but anyway, would love to hear some input on this :)