Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Acumen

Acumen
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Acumen polycounter lvl 18
MY FINAL SUBMISSIONS:

acumen_polypack_submit.jpg

First idea is about the Medic - since I'm from stuttgart too, that should fit ;)

HAT
I imagine this hat model as bloody bloody piece of fabric in the end:
mcdreamy.jpg

WEAPON
then as a syringe gun replacement i'm trying to combine these 2 images:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_t9pl9Dh5gGQ/Sk2OeWA4GzI/AAAAAAAAE-Q/A46fJa3Vhkk/s400/_artificialleech.jpg
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/img/skull-saw.jpg

into something like this. totally clueless about mechanism and stuff, just a weird mockup incorporating the 2 reference images and some random polygons thrown onto :o
would look kinda weird ingame, when the medic has to turn that crank all the time :/
maybe one turn = one round of syringe bullets thrown out - like a gatling :)
since i'm not sure about the scale, maybe make it as big as natascha :D

syringe_replace.jpg

Possible Mele Weapon: an old crutch
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3391/3647681395_0c48e0b655.jpg

um, cohesive theme:
"medical stuff" ? :/
"the past, present and future of medicine ?"
"medical advancement ?"
i suck at creative things ;)

Replies

• Clusternate
    Nice Medic hat

But its looks cinda boring.
    Could u add some Wrinkle, crease, folds (lol sry Google-Translate) :D
    and the Medic Symbol on the forehead
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    yah, it's just flatcolored right now with no texture yet. i really hope to get all my mighty painting cheating technique going on in the end ^^
    definately trying to add the medic symbol on the front, though. didn't think about that at all :D
    thx !
  • beaRKT227
    Seeing that artificial leech/syringe thing makes me think you should do old medical technology for your theme. For the melee you should do an ice pick sorta thing, in reference to lobotomies. Just an idea?
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh, now that i collected some more stuff, i think the old medical tech is the way to go, you're absolutely right on this one. but it's so hard for me, not knowing the right english words/terms. i usually go for "medical tool old" but the results never change :D

thought about maybe an old rubber reflexhammer like this:
    http://albertabrams.com/images/IM002176.JPG

or a bonesaw replacement (which looks just slightly different)
    we'll see what tomorrow brings :)
  • Buck
    Man, add some spikes instead of rubber and you got yourself a killers weapon!
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    i admit, after having seen swizzles awesome gun, i couldn't go anywhere with my paddle and rotate gun concept, so i got rushed away and went in a different direction.
    the two bottles include different chemicals that got mixed together into something deadly and get injected via the needles on the front.
    just watched the reload animation and figured the end of my weapon makes no sense considering the animations, so, um.... :D
    we'll see where this one goes

syringe_replace2.jpg
  • Khthon
    Looks great. Very distinctive silhouette compared to the other needle guns.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great, You're gunna have clipping issues though unless you move where the medic puts his right hand.

:( clipping :(
  • Inzuki
    That looks very great. And I can also see some clipping issues, good idea to fix that :S
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    uh, i didn't even think about that issue. thought valve would solve that for me ;D
    i think i'm gonna go through the pain of touching weapon model replacement again - i swore myself i'd never do that again, after the paindays of hl1 ;)

you don't happen to have a nice tutorial at your hand, Y_M ? just incase you ignore me on tf2m :D
    so far i decompiled the v-model and imported it into max. that's as far as i can get :D

thanks for your feedback so far, guys. really glad you like it ! keeps me motivated !
  • tex_cookiedough
    Acumen wrote: »
    uh, i didn't even think about that issue. thought valve would solve that for me ;D
    i think i'm gonna go through the pain of touching weapon model replacement again - i swore myself i'd never do that again, after the paindays of hl1 ;)

you don't happen to have a nice tutorial at your hand, Y_M ? just incase you ignore me on tf2m :D
    so far i decompiled the v-model and imported it into max. that's as far as i can get :D

thanks for your feedback so far, guys. really glad you like it ! keeps me motivated !

not sure which tutorial i used, im pretty sure this would be similar to any other tutorial you will find though, and people seem to like it:
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8746

and these may also help:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tutcats/211
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tutcats/212

p.s amazing work on the model =O i will be upset if i dont get one of those ;)
  • Clusternate
    This looks EXTREMLY AWESOME. Really.

But ... where will be the Left hand of the Medic. Under the White Box?
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks Clusternate, i'll show you :D
    Right there:

syringe_replace_lefthand.jpg

i have to say thank you, to Y_M
    who really helped me with getting the weapon compiled for testing the clipping issue. now i just need to figure out, whether i need to just move around that canister, or replace/remove/remodel it, so that that stupid hand can get a hold of it :D
    it literally took me 3 hours of fiddling around and 10 minutes of getting on Y_M's nerves to get this finally working like the way it should be. now i learned how to attach a model to a bone - yeeehaaaw :D
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    man, this is full of win. awesome job. I'd say to create another canister on top like the red one but put a different fluid in it.
  • Ikimono
    IMO, move the canister to the side (rotate 90) and then you wont have to move the hand. Or move it forward, that would work too.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you so much, oobersli !
    i wish i could draw and try out different solutions to it. the thing i like about the stuff is that theres stuff on top and on the bottom of it, and it looks kinda nice silhouette wise. maybe i just try and scale the thing around. or model in a hole into the canister or something like that. it really isn't much now that i moved it around and stuff.

Ikimono, i think i'll try the rotate thing, but it would make the following model changes very time consuming for me :(

k, while trying to post in here, i flushed away and tweaked the hell out of this thing. while i hate the silhouette changes on the pure model, i kinda like how it fits together in the medic hands. so i think i'm trying to go for this and start re-modeling the gun tomorrow :)

syringe_replace_problem_solved_questionmark.jpg
  • youngoli
    It's not that bad. In fact, it looks pretty cool seperating the medic's hands from each other.
  • Fragus
    The sharp edges at the end (needles?) gotta go, it's not very TF2. But everything else is top notch!
  • youngoli
    I like the needles. It makes it pretty unique. Maybe just shrink them a bit and make them more uniform?
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    but i want my needles :D
    i gotta admit, basically that model doesn't work like the needle gun :(
    i mean i could add a bigger part on the end of the gun, so that the reload animation would work out, but it wouldn't make, sense, as you mentioned the needles are on the front of it :o
    maybe i should create like a battery slot, so the medic changes a battery after every shot, or something like that - i think i'll try that.

but then again, the cylinder thing that the original weapon uses in the reload mechanism isn't syringes as well, so i might pass on that somehow.

lesson learned:
    take a look at the original models to see how they work and look like in the first place :D

edit
    : regarding the needles, so far the model is not finished, some parts are like i want them, but most of them are just dirty modelshapes moved into each other, so the needles will be more delicate when i continue on this :)
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man, i had an awesome idea for the bonesaw replacement in my dreams, but now that i woke up, i forgot :o
    it included metal and blood and stuff, but oh well, what can you do....
    I thought, what can be more important than actually building the model, you're supposed to build. Right ! A timeline of how the model progressed so far. That will keep me away from actually getting back to the model ! Great idea, Sherlock !!

syringe_replace_timeline.jpg
  • EvilShadow777
    If you just fatten the bottom a bit or put a handle or something it'd look like the Medic is holding it, this idea is good, don't scrap it!
  • Baker
    Have you thought about sketching your idea on paper before modeling or are you better at modeling than sketching? As ES was saying, good idea, a bit too many feats. in #8, liking #7 if the second handle could be adjusted.
  • Ikimono
    #6, if you add a grip for the medic's hand, you won't need to make new animations.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my.....
    wanted to say "quick color mockup" as the pro's do, but it wasn't quick at all :D
    i really wanted to go without the jigglebone liquid issue on this model, so i decided to let the bottle solid instead of transparent, but somehow the color and logo choice just doesn't click nor makes sense ;) a skull would be too non-humourous at all as well. so i'm kinda lost on this :/
    need a couple of days of to wrap my head around the problem, i guess ;)

syringe_testcolor1.jpg
  • chickenman
    ha. that looks really cool.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    todays update - would be much faster but my gf bought the new sims3 addon couple of days ago and needs her computer ;)

i just don't know what to do with this "bottle" - not too much logowise but more the overall color - beige or teamcolored ? or better a totally different tone ? what do you guys think ?
    wouldn't mind some nifty paintover by anyone, to be honest :D

haha, i put the blue gun on the red medic :D:D im so stupid :D

syringe_replace_testcompile.jpg
  • Khthon
    Something like this?

biohazard.jpg

The symbol means "Biohazard".

You could texture a couple yellow/black stripes on part of it, too, if you go for the yellow warning color.
  • Snowloss
    Yellow really isn't a medic color, but a biohazard symbol or text on the canister might be interesting and fun.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    and the general color of the bottle. that's what i'm most bothered with. blue, beiger or totally different tone ?

i think the biohazard symbol is too much straight into the face joke - would fit my lack of delicate humour but not tf2, i think :D
  • Khthon
    You could key the yellow to the TF2 palette - see the yellow on the Medic's arm symbol in your screenshot. There's a slightly different shade of yellow for the RED and BLU.
  • Khthon
    Here it is on transparent background - it's a good symbol.

Biohazard%2Bsymbol.png
  • Khthon
    As for color - maybe a pill bottle color? With a label on it with warnings of side effects and the biohazard symbol!

pills2.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    how would yellow on the medic look?
    just for kicks...
  • Snowloss
    Khthon: better yet, have the canister actually BE a pill bottle. A little opacity on the canister, and have a few pills jumping around inside it when the gun is fired.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    yah, i kinda wanted to get away on this without having to deal with transparency on the bottle :/
    to not even think about jumping pills :D
    yellow kinda worked on the blue version. maybe i'll give that a try. just need to sample a good color for the red part. more time to work on it tomorrow !
  • Ikimono
    GET ZE PILLZ HERE! Demoman!
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i'm calling this one finished ever after :)
    i'm kinda satisfied with the way the bottles turned out.
    I KNOW that there are some "minor" clipping issues, here and there, but i think with proper alignment knowledge it should turn out just alright. gonna move on to the melee weapon next :)
    whooooooooooosh, exhausted :D

REDsyringe_replace_red.jpg

BLUE
    syringe_replace_blue.jpg
  • Mizzymizzy
    Dude, fix the clipping D:
  • Psyke
    Mizzymizzy wrote: »
    Dude, fix the clipping D:
    he JUST said he's going to do it.
    what's with people not reading?

:\
  • nofacej
    It's a nice model but it will never win unless you fix the clipping.
    Edit: He did not say he was fixing the clipping. He said he's calling it finished and that he "thinks" with proper alignment knowledge it will be okay. That's not the same thing.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Wow, people really don't read, even the post right before theirs.

Looks fantastic acumen. I still think a skull and crossbones on the bottle would be entirely appropriate, but this works fine if you don't feel like changing it.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkasmolenklokm thanks for the kind words !
    i actually tried the biohazard logo and the skull and whatnot - just didn't saved all of these tries :D
    it never felt right or in the least little bit funny to me.

maybe a small skull/crossbone attached as an added sticker to the "100 poison quality" sign ?
    the more i think of that, the more i tend to try that out ;)

@nofacej: apart from this piece having clearly no winning chance at all, considering all the other brillant medic entries, i called it "finished ever after" which is my obviously totally unfunny way of stating, that i need to move to another piece in order to keep motivation up. i shall definately go back and try to fix this clipping issue. and it should be highly possible to do so, since i took the original model as a background comparison to move the parts to the right spots.
    i just can't be bothered to do that at the moment, cause it's such a tedious workflow for me and i'm very proud of the result so far and wanted to share it with this community :)
    hope you can understand that. i'm not showing my modest work in here, so this contest was the brillant oportunity to get some feedback from people in here :)
  • nofacej
    Wow, people really don't read, even the post right before theirs.

Posted at exactly the same time. I guess you don't read either?
    Acumen wrote: »
    @nofacej: apart from this piece having clearly no winning chance at all, considering all the other brillant medic entries, i called it "finished ever after" which is my obviously totally unfunny way of stating, that i need to move to another piece in order to keep motivation up. i shall definately go back and try to fix this clipping issue. and it should be highly possible to do so, since i took the original model as a background comparison to move the parts to the right spots.
    i just can't be bothered to do that at the moment, cause it's such a tedious workflow for me and i'm very proud of the result so far and wanted to share it with this community :)
    hope you can understand that. i'm not showing my modest work in here, so this contest was the brillant oportunity to get some feedback from people in here :)

I don't see why you don't think you can win. Art and design are largely subjective and there's no way of knowing who's entry will appeal most to the people at Valve judging this contest's taste. All you can do is make sure your entry is as polished and professional looking as you can make it.

Personally I think yours is one of the better and more unique looking Needle Gun replacements posted so far.

Finally, I can understand the need to shift to other things when you're burned out on the thing you're working on. Just don't call it finished if you do plan to return to it, especially on a forum like this where critique is plentiful. People will misunderstand.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll just be more careful with the word "finished" and any pun intended wordplay on it, in the future to not get cause any trouble or misunderstandings again :)
  • Psyke
    even if you dont win, you item may be chosen to be in future contribute updates!
  • Mizzymizzy
    Psyke wrote: »
    he JUST said he's going to do it.
    what's with people not reading?

:\
    I just didn't understand the complicated words. I'm sorry D:
  • jgoodroad
    I hear uo!sod is a great breand of medicine
  • Khthon
    Good work. Like Psyke said, you could get in even if you don't win this round. I think you have a good chance of winning, though.
  • Batt
    That gun looks really, really nice. The black on the bottle stands out though - it's too thick. Make it a dark grey like you have on the gauge part.