Home General Discussion

Franklyn

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
So... I just stumbled across this movie called "Franklyn" and man... does it ever look awesome.

It was by the same dude who did The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus (Terry Gilliam) which I haven't seen yet, but after watching this longer trailer on the site... I'm going to pickup Franklyn, and depending on how awesome that movie is, I'll probably go check out his newest one.

You can watch the trailer here - http://io9.com/5446648/get-your-terry-gilliam-fix-from-franklyn

Here is another one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Nj6a8U2uk[/ame]

The movie never went to theaters, and apparently was released in November... how come I am only hearing about this now :(

Replies

• Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    *edit* Bah. This isn't Gilliam

looks interesting, though. will grab it on netflix
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    don't think it's Gilliam..unless he produced it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893402/ still looks cool.....the dudes in the big top hats look awesome

it's on Netflix instant que too..gonna check it out
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't seen it personally, but I know a few people that have and the general consensus of opinion is that it's actually pretty mediocre. I'll probably pick it up on DVD, though I do like the architecture and set design.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I've seen it. I didnt like it. It started ok and interesting but then kind of meandered into nonsensical nonsense. I dont think terry gilliam did it, it would have had a lot more creativity behind it and it wouldnt have appeared so cheap.

Its sort of like this ordinary dreary story interspersed with this fantastastical potential story. Its on the edge of promising these really cool, interesting stuff, but it doesnt deliver, probably because of budget and imaginative constraints, or because thats not the point of the story.

If your expecting some cool action film its nothing of the sort.

I dont want to do ruin it but the ending amounts to ... and it was all a dream.
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    oh man was it boring.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it about 6 months ago, it's not great and not what you'd expect.

It has some very nice visuals to it, but I suggest you borrow it rather than buy it.

6/10 (though that's what I give Avatar, so....)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    FINE!! Why don't you just crush my fricken dreams of enjoying this film...

I'M GOING BACK TO WATCH AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, thanks for the heads-up, maybe this will just be a rent.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it had a couple of interesting ideas but the alternate steampunk universe stuff was very thin on the ground in the actual movie, and it ended up being pretty ponderous and predictable.

Shame really, I think they could have made an awesome movie out of this premise but it was pretty obviously on a much lower budget than they really needed to make it good.
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Speaking of Steampunk, did you guys check out all the winners on CGSociety? Some of those were amazing.