Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vehicle : Hearse

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
Having a go at my first vehicle and need some support to see me through it. I have some good reference and started to block it out. Main problems I think will be...

- Tricount. From what I have so far, I think the final LP tri count will be around 7000. I usually like to model really low poly but am trying to push myself here to something that's even possibly beyond 'current gen'. I also need to ask myself if I should build an interior if the count is already unusually high. Will be using zbrush for deco and high poly baking for a few elements.

- The parts connecting the wheels is a bit daunting at this stage. Defiantly going to have to find a way of simplifying that. At the moment I can't make no sense of what exactly is going on there. I'm not too fussed about perfectly copying the reference.

Reference + WIP

wiphearse2.jpg
wiphearse1.jpg

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Man, that concept's got acres of potential. You're off to a good start, so it seems.

I wouldn't worry about reducing the count any further - why not do the model justice, then worry about optimizing? 7k doesn't even seem that excessive to me, and if you put too much thought into reducing the count as opposed to capturing the essence of the vehicle, the end result could suffer. I say get it nailed down, then start trimming.

I can see that the front wheel connection could be a little confusing, but the image looks like it was taken in some kind of transport museum - can you take any more reference? Or find out the specifics of that particular carriage, and get some alternative angles? If not, I guess some artistic license will have to do.

Keep going!
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks danshewan,

update, working on the fiddly bits. Think I've simplified yet kept it looking functional. From what I see in my ref pics a lot of it is added bits meant for keeping it still because it's a museum piece.

wiphearse3.jpg

Not sure if to start adding extra elements now (Some carts have bits on top, steps, flowers etc ) or to go in and clean up and get ready for zbrush/high poly baking etc.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good. I think the front connector area looks fine - any more detail and it'd probably look a bit busy.

I'd get the steps and other features modeled in now before exporting to ZBrush. Doesn't look like you've got that much to do before going in and sculpting all that juicy detail on the panels and such. :)
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I'm jealous, wish I thought of modeling this first!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Agree with Zilk here, very cool piece. Will keep an eye on this.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all.

Question, all my cylinders for bars etc are mostly 8-12 sided. Is it really worth making highpoly versions of these for baking? One thing that puts me off is that it means each bar needs it's own unique UV space where as usually I'd just making a tiling bar texture and map them all on that. I have no strict budgets here but I want it to be somewhat realistic in terms of budget.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You actually managed to positively surprise me already. I was expecting a long black car with a coffin, and you show me this victorian fantasmagorium..

Can't wait to see what you will do with it..
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started detailing things up and baking. I'm finding to get smooth normals that I need to add extra loops near edges etc. This will surely raise the polycount and I could see it getting to about 10k - 15k. Not sure what to do, sure some people may say "Wow looks great!" but then they could just think "That's not realistic! No way would that be used in any of our current games!"

Something tells me Danshewan is right and I should just forget it, make it look awesome and try to optimize as much as possible afterwards but I honestly still see it being 10-15k. It's now 8k...

The whole point of this is really to show I can do modeling, normal baking and zbrushing. Even if it ended up being 15K it still shows those skills right?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with the others that this is a very awesome model to create. However I disagree with leaving details out, especially if you want to impress people and put this on your portfolio.

As for the normal map issues, chamfering edges is definitely one way to do it, but there are other ways also, like using multiple smoothing groups, and separating uv chunks.
    I found this article to be extremely helpful with understanding all the tricks/ in's and out's of tangent space normal maps: http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/article_normalmaps/normalmaps.html

By the way, I had a peek at your portfolio, and you have some really awesome stuff in there. So just take your time with this, and make it as awesome as I know you can! Detail it up with high poly :)
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that link BradMyers82, I think that's the best most simple tutorial out there for explaining normals. Still seems an little alien to me but getting there.

Started normal baking today with part of the seat. So as it stands this would be the final piece minus the zbrush work, my plan is to only do deco stuff in zbrush on flat planes then copy the normals and paste into my psd.

There are a few little artifacts here that I can hopefully fix in photoshop though I quite like some of these artifacts, some could be read as kinks/chips in the wood etc.

I just mirrored it all and remembered that doing this screws up the normals! Think the only way around that is give each element that requires normal baking it's own unique UV's and rebake? there must be a solution because I'm pretty sure most game assets even today have many mirrored elements?

wiphearse6.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    No, mirroring is definitely the way to do it!
    I thought at one point that I had tangent space normals completly understood, then I ran into problems on some hard surface objects (a gun) and realized that they can be much more difficult/complicated than I thought.
    One thing you can consider is using object space normal maps to avoid any problems like you are having (Marmoset supports them as well as other emerging game engines). However, I believe that because tangent space normals are pretty much the standard that learning all the in's and out's is better and more important / impressive.

Anyways, there are two things that I have noticed that commonly will cause seams in normals when you are mirroring. (the seam will be at the mirrored edge) This is assuming you have a good and correct bake.
    The first is smoothing group issue. If you have different smoothing groups along the mirrored part, you will have a seam.
    The second is due to angular change.
    I wrote up a big article but decided the best way for you to understand what I mean is to simply run some tests of yourself. (I'm not sure what I was writing actually made any sense lol).

Anyways make a simple cylinder in the top view. Bevel from the top and bottom a few times and make it so you have flat edges along the z axis and angular edges along the z axis.
    Make a fancy high poly, turbo smoothed column to bake off of that fits in your low poly as you normally would.
    make your uvs and cut the cylinder in half along the y axis, so that you are attempting to mirror over the y axis.
    Once you bake show your normals with a real time shader, you will notice a nasty seam along the y axis.
    But if you render the object, the seam disappears!
    This is due to how the shader renders realtime vs built-in scanline which is more expensive.
    If you made your low poly cylinder like I said, and you have flat polys going straight up the z axis in some areas. Select those faces and detach them. You will now see that the seam is gone alone this part of the low poly!
    This is because you no longer have the angular change affecting the normals as you did before in these areas. Play with this some more and I'm sure you will get what I mean about angular change.

Anyways, in your case, if you mirror along what appears to be the y axis on the hearse, and you have your uvs mirrored as well, and you have the same smoothing group setup for those polys across the y axis; you shouldn't have a problem with seams because there is no angular change in this area.

A good way to simply test if the problem is the angular issue mentioned above is to render out your low poly object, and if the seam disappears then you have to work on your setup by detaching stuff setting up separate smoothing groups or other options.

But if its a baking issue, it could be something as simple as you not moving mirrored uv islands during the baking process. Or attempting to bake flipped uv islands, and stuff like this.

I hope this helps, and if you could give me a specific example of where your problem area lies, perhaps I could figure out what is going wrong. Are you using 3ds max scaneline renderer to bake your maps?
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just dropping in with a quick update, quite pleased with my lamp baking...The low poly is 920tri...

high poly > low poly > low poly with normal bake

wiphearse7.jpg

Thanks Brad for the large info surge, will read it properly tonight. You've helped me in other threads too, really appreciate it!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yeah man, looks good! It's hard to tell, but do you have a seam at the bottom edge of the top cone, and at the top edge of the umbrella looking bit?
    I see that you gave these areas their own smoothing group on the low poly which is correct, however, if you have the uv's attached in the areas where there is a change in the smoothing groups it will cause a seam.
    Like I said, I'm not sure if there is even a seam in these areas, but it looks like there might be.

Glad to help buddy!
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Experimented with your idea but I didn't see the seam you mentioned? Think I've misread part of it!

wiphearse8.jpg

Also not sure if you're misreading my mirror problem. There isn't a problem with seams but incorrectly flipped RGB channels. My mirroring mainly will be along the x axis, for example mirroring one wheel from one of the sides to the other.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Do you turbosmooth your highpoly at all? I feel your highpoly could be more...well highpoly lol
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah man, looks good! It's hard to tell, but do you have a seam at the bottom edge of the top cone, and at the top edge of the umbrella looking bit?
    I see that you gave these areas their own smoothing group on the low poly which is correct, however, if you have the uv's attached in the areas where there is a change in the smoothing groups it will cause a seam.
    Like I said, I'm not sure if there is even a seam in these areas, but it looks like there might be.

Glad to help buddy!

Ah interesting. Yeah the cone on the top has a seam, the uv's for this our connected. The top edge of the Umbrella has NO seam at all and the uv's are NOT connected. Similar to what that document you showed me was explaining. So what I do now is split the cone uv's, rebake and it should be fine!

edit : yep, fixed and updated previous image showing the lights
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita wrote: »
    Do you turbosmooth your highpoly at all? I feel your highpoly could be more...well highpoly lol

Good point. I do turbo smooth them but maybe they are still low. For example if I'm doing a cylinder I usually just make em 24-32 sided, maybe I should just make them 100+ sided to make them perfect or something but I'm working on quite a low end laptop. As it is I'm having to split this all into multiple max files to make sure my laptop can handle it!
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried baking one of the rings. Seems a bit pointless though? surely once it has texture and you look at it from further back distance nobody would ever notice?

wiphearse10.jpg
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update,

Done all but the micronormals and deco now. I think I'll be better off doing the small deco (like on top of the pillars) in photoshop/nvidia the rest I'll try and do in zbrush.

Does anyone think the roof needs a few more subdivision to round it off more? So instead of a triangle it's more like /=====\ (with ==== on top). Does that make more sense?

It's currently 13.5k with a 2048 map.

wiphearse15.jpg
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Viewport render WIP

Adding deco now...

wiphearse17.jpg
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about done, getting ready for texture pass. Going to wait a day or so for feedback just incase there is anything quick I can fix before doing final renders.

wiphearse18.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I like this a lot so far :)

maybe the folds in the cloth could use a bit of tightening up? Have you tried using the damstandard brush? or one of the brushes from here http://www.selwy.com/2009/zbrush-clothes-tutorial/
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really ace, love it!

The wheels jump out at me now, noticably lower poly than the rest. If you look at the source at the top, the profile is much different. The spokes don't come flush to the edge of the rim, there's a bit of a bevel on that. They're also more flat than squared off like that.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mesh finished. Just over 14k.

OrganizedChaos Thanks for the tip, redid the cloth in zbrush with those new brushes

throttlekitty Thanks, adjusted the spokes.

hearse_01.jpg
  • labmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    labmonkey polycounter lvl 9
    Great work adam, im impressed :)
    now texture that sucker, itll be an impressive portfolio piece. You inspire me to start something similar, heh.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah going to start texture pass soon. I want to try and avoid making it so black if possible, try and add colours to it but of course a hearse is black for a reason. Will explore reference tomorrow. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At a bit of a dilemma here. I really want to add colour into it but can't because hearses are black for a reason. Was thinking to add flowers on top but that would suggest it's new so I can't chip away at the wood and add dirt etc (which I think I'll need to pop out the details).
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would go with real subtle color in the wood grain, maybe pop things an eensy bit with a colored spec if you're going that route. Varnish/lacquer on the wood does some obvious reflection, but also provides some soft glow from within. You may want to spend a little time looking at fine wood + varnish references. The dust and wear on the museum piece adds a small bit of flavor, but that depends on how you're presenting your rendition.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks throttlekitty, yeah looking forward to doing the nitty gritty bits soon. I've now started the texture pass. VERY VERY early days yet and just blocking out some basic colours. You'll notice straight away I'm trying to make it look more royal with added gold elements, this was one solution I had to break up all those black parts. Good direction? Another way I plan to add colour in there is later on with dead vegetation. There will also be warm colours in the metal, similar to that effect in the bottom right reference.

Can I get away with a 2D texture on those lamps? or do I really need to remodel them and make an interior?

wiphearse20.jpg
  • Razvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good. And yes the laps do look a bit off.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update :

Bit of a lame screenshot but just a quick WIP. Not really started on the wood yet but starting to add colour shifts and edgework to fabrics and metal. You'll also noticed I've changed the lamps so they now have an interior.

wiphearse21.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice start on the textures. the metallic parts are really standing out as not metal. but like you said its not done yet :) so im taking that under the WIP part :) its a great start to get all of it blocked out like that all at once. nice progress
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started work on this again after almost a year :)

delhersewip1.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    looking much better. i like the improvements
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Really like the colour of the carriage, think the white on the wheels is a bit too bright though.