First try in hand painted texture

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
chiniara polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys , i'm new here and want to show you my first try in hand painted textures , any crits will be welcome.

final.png

wire.png

textura.png

Replies

• Xaltar
    more colors, sharper detail and more highlights. Never use pure black for shadows. Look at loads of reference.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 13
    The texture could be taken a lot further, but I focused more on the optimization. Still, did some additional highlights to the wood. Also distorted the mesh a bit because it adds a bit of character to the model

textura.jpg
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys i'll try to work more on the texture using yours tips and when i'm done i'll post here :]
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok , i worked more on the highlights and changed the geometry a bit.
    This the result :

finalv2.png
  • JFletcher
    I think you are focusing far too much on painting the grain/wavy patterns commonly found on wood.

Focus on a larger scale first, give the planks a solid color, vary each one and degrade from the edges, for instance, if you don't mind, i have made a paint over:

table.gif
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I think you are focusing far too much on painting the grain/wavy patterns commonly found on wood.

Focus on a larger scale first, give the planks a solid color, vary each one and degrade from the edges, for instance, if you don't mind, i have made a paint over:

table.gif

Hmm , i'll try that and then post the results

Thanks for the infos :]
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 10
    Got to agree with JFletcher here, the smudge tool was just too obvious in the earlier version. (Or was it liquefy? Some sort of distortion effect.) Instead of using a tool like that, just use the brush to paint in variation and highlights by hand. No need to get too detailed either. That is, assuming you're using a tablet. Also depending on what's comfortable for you, it might help to rotate your canvas temporarily while doing stuff like this, so you don't have to go from painting vertical planks to horizontal planks. But that might just be me.

Ahh, good luck.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i'm doing the texture from zero again and that's how it looks now ( sorry for the engrish )

thatsgood.png
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    love the paintover jfletcher.

chiniara, be careful with those highlights on the ends of the wood getting too bright. Also, when painting in those detail keep the brush size small. 1 pixel brush is the way to go when texture get small and you want sharp, hard edged detail.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »

chiniara, be careful with those highlights on the ends of the wood getting too bright. Also, when painting in those detail keep the brush size small. 1 pixel brush is the way to go when texture get small and you want sharp, hard edged detail.

Oh thanks, this is easy to fix because i use layer for everything , i'll fix this and edit the post above

Edited :]]
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 9
    cholden wrote: »

seconded yeah dude really get in there. and take down the softness of your brush. no more soft brush for you. maybe like 50% but try to get in there with some confident strokes. and also notice how JFletcher still went into the legs of the table and put in some detail in there too. you are improving a lot so keep it up.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    seconded yeah dude really get in there. and take down the softness of your brush. no more soft brush for you. maybe like 50% but try to get in there with some confident strokes. and also notice how JFletcher still went into the legs of the table and put in some detail in there too. you are improving a lot so keep it up.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll try to modify the texture.

About the legs : i didn't finished them , i just put the base color.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 9
    ahh gotcha....ok. yeah I was wondering about that :P
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's last update. I still can't achieve same effect as JFletcher but i think its the best one until now :]

herewegoagain.png
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, don't worry about. Jonathan is REALLY good with the paints. Check out his web site to see what I mean. It takes time. Keep practicing!
  • Zoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 10
    chiniara wrote: »
    I still can't achieve same effect as JFletcher
    well.... if you had learned to paint with the level of sophistication in 1 day i would be taking a bath with a toaster.

put a concentrated 20 hours/week into that skill for the next 3 months and things will really change, i promise
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay , here is the texture. And let the crits begin.

isthistheend.png
  • vcortis
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    What resolution is the texture you're using? I can see individual pixels in some cases.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycounter lvl 10
    I'd up the brightness/saturation a little bit on most of the planks up top. Right now, it only seems like you're using any on the edges where you'd expect to see wear and tear. Notice Fletcher's paintover, how entire planks on the top are relatively bright.

Even though you're not really casting light on it right now, it's a safe bet that especially something like a table, light will be hitting it's top face. Hence, don't be afraid to brighten entire planks. Right now, with only the edges, it makes it feel kinda..."hollow" and very desaturated in the wrong places. Even your original attempt did not have so much of this issue.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis wrote: »
    What resolution is the texture you're using? I can see individual pixels in some cases.

256x256 :poly122:

But its a model that will be seen far from the camera. Like an RTS view.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I'd up the brightness/saturation a little bit on most of the planks up top. Right now, it only seems like you're using any on the edges where you'd expect to see wear and tear. Notice Fletcher's paintover, how entire planks on the top are relatively bright.

Even though you're not really casting light on it right now, it's a safe bet that especially something like a table, light will be hitting it's top face. Hence, don't be afraid to brighten entire planks. Right now, with only the edges, it makes it feel kinda..."hollow" and very desaturated in the wrong places. Even your original attempt did not have so much of this issue.

Yeah, much better :)

saturated.png
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 13
    bright on top... yes, saturated....NO
    try the other way round make the top of the table desaturated and light and the shadows or shaded areas darker and more saturated

heres one i did years ago

hideout6.jpg
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i tried to saturate more and its better , the other way looked crappy in my situation.

casihasmoresaturation.png

And ingame in Unity

ingame.png
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    That saturation is definately over the top. In addition, you're oversaturating the entire table - whereas only the top planks, that one top side of the table, would need to be brighter (and slightly more saturated than the rest).

Oversaturating is definately not the way to go. You need to find a happy medium. The top of the table will be a little brighter, and as a result, you'll have a little bit more of its color reflected. But that much saturation is going to kill it.

Tone it down mate, find that balance.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    That saturation is definately over the top. In addition, you're oversaturating the entire table - whereas only the top planks, that one top side of the table, would need to be brighter (and slightly more saturated than the rest).

Oversaturating is definately not the way to go. You need to find a happy medium. The top of the table will be a little brighter, and as a result, you'll have a little bit more of its color reflected. But that much saturation is going to kill it.

Tone it down mate, find that balance.

Done, also today's last update.

canihaslesssaturation.png
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that black should be dark brown imo. JFletchers works with black because he drastically painted over the black so there's only a few slim cracks of it showing past the brush strokes. if you want to keep thick lines between the planks, think you need to bring them closer to the values of the wood or they stand out too much

it's coming on tho! have another look at JFletcher's paintover and really pay attention to the differences. note he also toned down the squiggles in the board shapes, right now they look almost cut like jigsaw pieces to fit into a table surface. hand painted doesnt automatically mean wiggly, you can have imperfections but don't let them interfere with the logic of the object. try making the lines straighter but skew them off a bit so they're not parallel

edit: have a look: http://mmohut.com/wp-content/gallery/world-of-warcraft-overview/world-of-warcraft-tavern.jpg

squiggles in the wood pattern aplenty: but the wood pieces are cut straight. notice the absence of harsh black lines, but instead darker colour
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay.
    Finally i had some time to work on this

solong.png

I fixed the black strokes to a dark brown and i think its much better than before.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 12
    its looking better, but what if you try NOT using black to divide it? instead of black, try a darker color of the red wood. also, try to add the highlights a bit more, again, no white, a brighter red for this. Variation to the planks would be nice too, one darker, one brighter...
  • Disco Stu
    jfletchers paintover is where this should head
  • mLink
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    jfletchers paintover is where this should head

Agreed, but the texture resolution would probably need to be doubled, or the uvs re-laid out.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Offline / Send Message
    Bruno Afonseca Polycount Sponsor
    Are you using liquify? If you are, please stop!

The overall shape of the thing is weird. It's twisted, but why? If you want it to look like a crappy handmade table, make more width variation on the planks.
  • Mark Dygert
    bugo wrote: »
    its looking better, but what if you try NOT using black to divide it? instead of black, try a darker color of the red wood. also, try to add the highlights a bit more, again, no white, a brighter red for this. Variation to the planks would be nice too, one darker, one brighter...
    In addition it looks like you're trying to maintain an equally thick black line between each board. You can wear the boards together and imply there are separate pieces by breaking up those thick black lines. Kind of like drawing teeth.

mouthsmiling.jpg
    When drawing teeth you don't maintain a thick dark line between each tooth. Where there isn't much difference from one surface to another the line gets very thin. If you where to step back you might not even have a faint line, just the indents around the gums and cups.

I also think you have too many boards to begin with, and the saturation is pretty bright for wood that looks twisted and old?
    DeskPaintOver.jpg
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 14
    Vig <3 beat me to it.

the deviding lines are a little THICK.. and maybe a big too wobbley. and yes, i think the planks are too thin.

you have made AWESOME progress on this. It's come SO far along.

IMO, you should brighten/darken some of the planks.. juuuuuustttt a tiny bit... so when you put this in the scene, it all looks the same value compared to other shit, but there's subtle contrast separating the planks.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    It's too red, lower it down to more of a brown. Not as desaturated as you had it originally, but it's still way too red at the moment, need to find that happy balance in saturation taking it more to a "brown" and less of a "red".

I also agree with the sentiment that there's too many boards up top. Take a couple out, fewer dividing lines as a result. And instead of that black, simply make it a much darker, slightly less saturated color of the boards itself. Likely a cool feeling brown.

Keep at it either way. You keep posting, we'll keep giving criticisms.
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet keep it up man, this is the way to learn to get CnC from people. I like the effort and I like this thread for the tips people have given out! I want to get into the hand-painted thing as well.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i'll work more on this and post here like i've been doing :]] so many things to change, but i'll make sure to do my best.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    omgwtfhowdidididthat.png

Reworked the tabletop texture , less planks, less saturation, thin dividing lines. :]

I'm happy with the result.
  • Spug
    hmmmmm, if you are happy with what you got, then it is all good.

It feels like you have painted painted this thing to a certain point, and then you are afraid of going in and painting over it.

I would suggest going in and painting in your colors before you define anything. Dont worry about cracks and planks and whatnot, just get the base color down, then go back and detail it up. Once it is working, go in and have fun.
  • chiniara
    Offline / Send Message
    composicao.png

Just something that i'm doing.

Yeah i know that i need to make variations on books textures and sizes but its just a rough view of something i want to do :]