Home Stickies

3Point Shader - Shader material editor and Quality Mode normalmaps for 3ds Max

Replies

• CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 16
    the material and the plugin are installed to different locations, therefore it could happen that the plugin installation failed as Design might have a different plugin configuration. Within \scripts/3pointshader/plugins pick the appropriate .dlm file based on max version and copy it into the plugin directory of your Design installation.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks, I got it to work by doing as you guys suggested. Problem now is when I apply material and modifier on my model and check quality normals it actually looks worst or it only applies the quality normals to a portion of the mesh. Perhaps I am doing it wrong. I'll give it another go later.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 11
    Is there any way to mask off the ReflectionCube? I tried putting an alpha into the Occlusion Mask slot but I'm not getting the effect I want. Like for windows. specifically, Im trying to mask off everything except the glass
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 14
    Eric, that's how you should be doing, remember to check the reflection box and tweak the reflection value accordingly.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 11
    which slider is it? Because Ambient Occ. Strength controls the alpha for my diffuse, and ReflectionCube Strength controls the intensity of my reflection cube/texture
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    "Reflection Occ. Strength" 1.0

and check "Use Reflection Occlusion (Alpha)"
  • perna
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Money well earned on your guys' part :D

Thanks fellas.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Just got mine :D, its great to finally get hands on the nice UI it makes a massive difference.

Hope it sells well for you guys.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, just grabbed it and tried it on my last model, looks good. I especially like the easy access to the light configurations.
    What's the word on installing this on multiple machines (Home-Work-etc)?
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    AWESOME!

I shouldn't be spending money now, but its simply way too tempting at this price. Just ordered my copy a minute ago.
  • Kewop Decam
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    i haven't even tried the Lite shader and bought this from pics I've been seeing since you released the Lite. I'm sure I won't be disappointed when I get around to fooling around with it.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow! Just wanted to say, totally worth getting the pro version. Sooo much easier to use than the lite version, and many really great options (that environment rotation is so sweet!)

I highly recommend it, so easy and so powerful.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just placed my e-order. how long did yours take to go through brad?
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 12
    how long are you guys running this launch price for?
  • Kewop Decam
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    just placed my e-order. how long did yours take to go through brad?
    mine took seconds. Check your e-mail.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    been waiting for 3 hours, they emailed me with order confirmation, but nothing else.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yeah, mine was instant also. Dunno why you haven't received a download email yet.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just got it now.
    could be because i'm in the UK or something...
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey when does the deal expire? i might wanna get it sometime this week but i dont want too miss out...?
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    if you don't want to miss it, buy it ;)
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 14
    That's a fantastic price for a great shader and well designed interface, and the 50% discount makes it a steal.

Best of luck with this guys!
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 15
    just purchasing now - awesome price for a great gadget! :D Thanks 3point.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I'm personally very excited to see what people will come up with here and to see what everyone thinks of the UI.

A little background info: 3Pointers were frustrated with the lack of a good, simple master shader for 3ds (and Maya, for that matter). You sit around expecting "someone" to make something so obviously needed. Years went by without any action, so we decided to go for it.

The base functionality was established quite fast and simply reflected our real-world needs, which were quite broad since we work for a number of clients with different specs. Over the next year tweaks were made to ensure everything was solid, functionality and UI wise. It came to a point we decided we have to get this out there to people.

We have a very transparent product here - I believe you can tell what it is and what it does without us bigging it up.

When it comes to Quality Mode normals, the aim has always been for it to be free and get widely adopted. Of course we wanted a period of exclusivity to give proper credit to the great job Christoph has done. This meant waiting after release to give developer support. Big devs spend a great deal more time than we do to implement such things. This has frustrated some members of the art community, it just can't be any other way however.

Now post some screenshots guys!
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 11
    perna wrote: »
    3Pointers were frustrated with the lack of a good, simple master shader for 3ds (and Maya, for that matter).

So maya shader confirmed? :)
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    So maya shader confirmed? :)

Sorry if I gave that impression :) The topic has been touched on - we'd need to see significant requests for this to happen.

However, we use 3ds max to texture maya assets. 3ds has some nice features including auto-update of modified textures. Simply bake out a world space normal map for your object using maya tangent normals. Quality mode handles world space mirroring so there should be nothing getting in the way of doing this.
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    What's the word on installing this on multiple machines (Home-Work-etc)?

that's okay as the license is personal per user. You can install it as often you want, as long as your the only one using it. The license is not transferable, which means if you as individual have bought it, you can't allow coworkers to use it, hence it's a bit critical to install on work machines if they are shared...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Awesome work guys!

How have you guys been delivering your work to your clients? Do you remove your shader, unless they own it already? Or do you purchase the shader for them and include it in your fee? What's the best way for freelancers to approach this?
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    uhm? freelancers sell the assets, not the software used to make them. not sure I can follow you.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    Eric,good questions. I think during the development of the shader all the work we've done has been for devs which have provided us with shaders. We still use our UI, it's just so much easier to work with. So at the end of it you can either translate the shader values or literally use their shader with our UI, but the details on the latter you'd have to get from Christoph, along with info on how the license allows that.

3Point Shader supports the different modes and functions we come across with other shaders, so you should get very consistent results. The exact maths may differ, though, like another shader may give weaker specular highlights with the samne values and so on. It's also worth noting that we run gamma correction, which is going to give a different look if the client shader neglects to do that (which they shouldn't, but you know..)
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna or crazy butcher: I doubt theres any source code available is there or can a customer tweak it if they buy it? Can't check as on mac and would be nice to see whats going on under the hood. Just out of curiosity as recently been learning shaders :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, sorry for showing the same old model and textures, but I have been using the German Shepherd as a base for testing shaders out lately.

Anyways, I just made a new scene, + new lights, imported the mesh, setup the 3Point shader and post effects all in a matter of about 15 minutes! (Really fast for me at least). I think it's the best results I have had yet setting up a shader for the Shepherd, and I really haven't gotten too crazy with tweaking and trying various cubemaps.

Point being the UI in the pro version is really making a world of difference and I love the cubmaps that are included here. Since those cube maps are so flexible, I plan on using them to view my models during the texture process for future projects.
    Once again great work guys!

P.S. I'm thinking about making a video later today or in the near future for how I setup the 3Point shader, lighting, and post effects for the Shepherd starting from scratch. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get right on it.

Test3Point_Pro.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    When you're reviewing the assets with your client, I assume you use the 3Point shader for screenshots. But when you deliver the asset, it doesn't look the same. I guess you simply share the shader method, so they can implement it properly in their engine? Because the license seems to preclude sharing the shader as well.

The german shepherd looks too glossy I think, looks like he stepped out of an oil bath or something.
  • Spitfire
    Wow im definately gonna try this out once i get the time, good stuff!
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    Eric, well I'm happy to answer questions about the product, but as for your workflow questions, well, you're suggesting solutions yourself and there are a number of other things that can be done. We'd never submit screenshots that don't look identical to what the client receives and expects.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    The shader supports both regular, and quality normals. perhaps they present their work with the regular and say hay look it could be this good if you fix your shaders!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Pro version looks very nice guys, after my funds re adjust I will def be picking it up. Thanks for providing support and a great tool to the community for a nice price.
  • Eric Chadwick
    So it sounds like any developer that wants to implement the Quality method should contact 3Point directly. The end user shouldn't do this, they should instead request that the developer do so, so they can get it direct from the source?
    perna wrote: »
    When it comes to Quality Mode normals, the aim has always been for it to be free and get widely adopted. Of course we wanted a period of exclusivity to give proper credit to the great job Christoph has done. This meant waiting after release to give developer support.
    FAQ wrote:
    Is it possible to implement Quality Mode in other applications and game engines?
    Yes, we are actively and successfully supporting developers in integrating Quality Mode on their end. If you want your favourite engine or application to feature Quality Mode, please contact the relevant developers.
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, the end-user can "only" help generating awareness of the issue, i.e. higher quality achievable with same tools used (3dsmax). That's a big "only" so, because I think many developers are still unaware of the big quality improvements possible. And that quality directly turns into saving money, as every additional polygon, every review cycle to get around smoothing issue costs money, with each and every asset.

@haiddasalami:
    the .fx file can be edited by commercial licensees for proprietary changes. that means you can use "quality normals" in inhouse shader, or "abuse" the ui to run own shaders (given you have as many licenses as shaders are used, as further redistribution is strictly prohibited). Changes to the ui or plugin itself are not possible. The .fx file is the same as in the lite edition.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    @haiddasalami:
    the .fx file can be edited by commercial licensees for proprietary changes. that means you can use "quality normals" in inhouse shader, or "abuse" the ui to run own shaders (given you have as many licenses as shaders are used, as further redistribution is strictly prohibited). Changes to the ui or plugin itself are not possible. The .fx file is the same as in the lite edition.

Sweet thanks CrazyButcher! Will check this when I get on my new formatted computer :)
  • LosPescados
    This looks awesome, thank god I got yesterday some money from my grandparents who were late for my birthday !!!
    (Although I promised not to spend it all at once, but what is a better purpose then education ? :) )

EDIT: I received email in a matter of seconds, thank you guys!
  • Eric Chadwick
    OK, thanks for the clarification CB!
  • Moosey_G
    I dig your work Brad, I'd love to see a video on how you set it up, especially since I need to learn the 3 point lighting system. I only know key and fill lol.
  • LosPescados
    EDIT: I was an ignorant fool. Sorry for the problems.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    EDIT: I was an ignorant fool. Sorry for the problems.

no... you ROCK ( http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2008/144/6/e/Denver_the_Last_Dinosaur_by_mistajonz.jpg )

But definitely, if anyone runs into problems, no matter how silly, please post them, along with the solution if you have it. You never know someone else may run into the same thing and can come here and get it sorted
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the biggest problem is that im not getting it for free :)
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    The investment is going to pay for itself through the time you save having the UI, and how much better your portfolio will look you bum :)

Or we could have a competition, like whoever identifies the tards trying to abuse the payment system (we have IPs) receives a free copy.

Someone help racer out, we need to see his art kick ass proper
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Mmmm.. The regular price is a bit more expensive than I thought it would be, but I will definitely buy and support this. This kick the ass out of any viewport shader ever made.

Question, when does the launch price ends?

Will make sure to spread the word at work tomorrow.

Congratulations
  • MattLichy
    I've been playing around with the Lite Version, and really like how this shader works/looks :) Thanks again guys!

I do have an issue though... I can't seem to get model self shadows to work, and it isn't wanting to accept my omni lights... I place an omni, and it still uses the default lighting, even after I say use Omni 1. I've played with light distance as well, and still nothing... :(