3Point Shader - Shader material editor and Quality Mode normalmaps for 3ds Max

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
perna quad damage
3Point Shader

Shader material editor and Quality Mode normalmaps for 3ds Max
Free and commercial versions.

WEBPAGE HERE

3Point Shader is a toolset for creation and presentation of high-quality real- time rendered materials in the Autodesk 3ds Max™ viewport. A user-friendly GUI helps meet and exceed what is expected of a master shader and its companion tools.

Webpage: http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_about.shtml
Lite version (free): http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_lite.shtml
http://www.3pointstudios.com/
Purchase: http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_purchase.shtml
included.png

3PointShader_SoftShadows01.jpg

3point_3psteaser.png

weapon.jpg

motorcycle.jpg

motorcyclematerial.png

Basic UI version of 3Point Shader Lite:
3PointShaderLite1_1_4.png

ViewThief Lite: Viewport images the 3Point way
Link for more information
3PointShaderLite_ViewThief01.jpg
3PointShaderLite_ViewThief06.jpg
3PointShaderLite_ViewThief04.jpg
Per128_ViewThiefAnim01.jpg

Replies

• divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 9
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 14
  • Mark Dygert
    hot f*ck on a stick...
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 9
    Impressive :O!
  • Pedro Amorim
    super awesome dudes!
    This is will rock for sure the way we think of normal maps..

We no longer need to break up uvs by smothing groups and stuff :D
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 13
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 13
    This is really nice! Are you guys looking at doing a Maya version?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Just did a quick test..
    And it works like a fucking charm.
    This model only has 1 smothing group. Notice the hard edges on some parts. Looks beautifull.

FFUU.jpg
  • Drew++
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 9
    This is amazing! I love you! :D
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 15
    Bitmap wrote: »
    Just did a quick test..
    And it works like a fucking charm.
    This model only has 1 smothing group. Notice the hard edges on some parts. Looks beautifull.

FFUU.jpg

Show the wires :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Notice the diference betwenn the two.

awesome.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Nice! Looking forward to the editable version, sounds kick-ass!
  • Pedro Amorim
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 15
    Question!

Thoughts on this as a preview tool before taking it in to an engine? Or was this made with the intention that whatever you've made that you want to display using this tool will only be displayed properly with this tool.

For instance -I have an asset I made for Unreal, but wanted some sexier shots done so I use this shader. Would it work without effort or will further baking be required?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro polycounter
    if you baked on 3ds max , and did no alterations post bake ( adding geo , painting stuff on PS ) im positive you wont need to do anything. This is if you want the quality mode enabled on the normals btw.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 7
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :D

its 1 am and already my day has been made great

Thanks Guys, this is seriously good of you to share such a usefull tool
  • thatnumpty
    this looks great, guys. thank you!
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 14
    some pictures made using this shader, max 2009, straight viewport grabs.

Grimoire_3ps.png
    HD image can be downloaded on the 3PointShader site

AaylaSecuraPosed_3ps.png
    HD image can be downloaded on the 3PointShader site

DW2Vahl_3ps.png

Comicbook effect
    Donovan_3ps.png
    Donovan_Collagesm.png
  • bounchfx
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 14
    Fuck me guys, that's some slick work. I'll be giving this a run through this week for sure.
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    vahl: Those shots are just...fucking amazing!
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 15
    YUS! This is very very cool. (I can't get shadows to work though.) I cranked the spec to 12 for shits and giggles, hence the plastic look.

3pt_22wt01.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 11
    looks great guys! - i had a few questions:

how does it handle alpha/opacity?

- I noticed with marmoset( in my uses) that depsite the slide bar it was basically on or off and it didn't handle a gradient aplha very well?
    - annnnd how well does it look with transparancy sorting in the max viewport?
    - maybe a faq/walkthrough on the optimal settigns oyu used for vahl's domwar peice and others?

oh, hurry up and release the commercial versn pleeeeze :D

oh and on ie7, the webpage cuts offf the dropdown links for each catergory -so i can see the 3Point Studios / Portfolio / 3Point Shader links but not the ones underneath...
  • rasmus
    Beautiful, thanks guys
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome! Me too can't get the shadows work.

EDIT** Sorry, forgot to enable viewport shadows on.
  • jfyelle
  • metalliandy
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome guys!

One question though, and maybe I am just missing the ball here but you will still have all those normal mapping errors when bringing stuff into a engine package right? This isnt actually fixing your normal maps, just fixing how its show in the viewport?

If that is the case then wouldn't it be counter productive to ever view anything with Quality Mode turned on as that wont be an accurate representation on how things will look in an actual engine?
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 11
    Does the paid version require Max or is it a standalone application?

I'd love to try it out but I have Softimage. :/
  • elte
    Holy shit this is awesome...
  • Disaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Disaster polycounter lvl 9
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\scripts\3PointShader\3ps-standard.fx(1339): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'g_UseLightShadows'

I'm getting this error when trying to create the material. Any advice?
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 7
    Autocon wrote: »
    Looks awesome guys!

One question though, and maybe I am just missing the ball here but you will still have all those normal mapping errors when bringing stuff into a engine package right? This isnt actually fixing your normal maps, just fixing how its show in the viewport?

If that is the case then wouldn't it be counter productive to ever view anything with Quality Mode turned on as that wont be an accurate representation on how things will look in an actual engine?

This is the question I have as well. I don't want to be a downer, as this looks awesome, but if this allows you to view normals maps perfectly, while 95% of game engines will still have errors, making maps that work with this system but don't in any game engine will lead to some workflows that don't translate to production.

If this is indeed the case, I don't think it means you shouldn't use quality mode to render stuff for a portfolio, it just means you should be aware of the difference so that you aren't baking maps with a single smoothing group as someone posted earlier, just because it will happen to look good in this specific case.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, can't wait to try this out later!
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter lvl 15
    when I turn on hq normals it looks like I'm using a tangent space (yes I do) nm in an object space texture slot

?!

EDIT:

tested with max 2008 32bit
    I have a GF 9600M GT with dx 10.1 and vista 32bit
    - latest drivers

and what max version do I need to see this nicely grouped layout of the material in the material editor ? :)

cool stuff guys :)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior insane polycounter
    Predator, I would guess that any studio working with a broken normalmap display would be more than happy to apply the 3Point 'fix' to their engine to make it synch better? I am not saying that programmers behind such tech are bad or lazy or anything. But with a few games being the exception (ID), normalmapping has been plagued with misconceptions and false assumptions and its not over yet.

So, I see that shader as more of proof that normalmaps are capable of looking good and accurate - thus a push for better pipelines at studios (no more "ooooh its okay I'll paint this over with blue in photoshop!") rather than a magic solution. But I might be wrong ?

Cool stuff guys. Cant wait to test it out thoroughly. Its cool to see that from now on, Maya is not the only app able to bake AND display its own normals properly anymore!
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 9
    thanks guys ...awesome... can´t wait to test this...
  • CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 11
    amazing! thanx so much
  • undoz
    vahl: those look amazing! wow

thanks a lot guys! best shader setup ever
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    Pior is right. A few notes along those lines:
    • Currently a high percentage of geometry budget is used to combat normal map shading errors opposed to describing form.
    • The above method does in no way fix the shading errors, it just makes them appear less extreme.
    • The gains from Quality Mode rendering of 3ds Max normal maps are highly significant.
    • Visual fidelity is increased and geometry requirements are lowered, a lot.
    • Costs of implementation and performance are negligible.
    • Quality Mode is fully backwards compatible and can be applied to any game in development and implemented in patches for released games.
    • Tools and concrete information is now freely available, meaning developers have no reason not to render Quality Mode normal maps.
    • Industry-wide adoption is just a matter of time and has already started in several studios.
    • Slight visual artifacts are still possible as 8-bit normal maps can't capture unlimited range.
    • Artifacts are dealt with by watching edge flow and splitting the mesh (using smoothing groups) on extreme angle change geometry.
    • Again: No re-baking of normal maps is required. Any old RTT-rendered maps will work perfectly.
    • Quality Mode output is identical to scanline renders using "render bump".

As an outsourcing studio our motivation is simply to create 3D assets without being limited by artificial problems, so we are making an effort for the industry to get Quality Mode aware.

Lastly, we will address your questions in time. Please see our webpage for now; it contains information on the distinction between the full and Lite versions of 3Point Shader. The Lite version is not automated, meaning you will have to enable things like shadows manually, like with traditional 3ds Max shaders. In the Full release version such things are automated to the full extent possible and great care has gone into making the UI user-friendly.

Thanks for the feedback! We're happy to see that artists are "getting it". When delivering bug reports, please state your OS, 3ds Max version (year, 32/64bit) and graphics hardware used, as well as follow the instructions on our webpage to install all relevant patches and updates to your software and graphics card drivers.
  • Norman3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polygon
    Before I get my hopes up... lets see if I understood it correctly. Are you saying, it's possible to implement the "quality mode" in engines such as Unreal3?

Don't get me wrong, this is awesome nonetheless. :D
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    Disaster wrote: »
    C:Program FilesAutodesk3ds Max 9scripts3PointShader3ps-standard.fx(1339): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'g_UseLightShadows'

I'm getting this error when trying to create the material. Any advice?

Please re-download and install. Thanks for the heads up.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 7
    rollin wrote: »
    when I turn on hq normals it looks like I'm using a tangent space (yes I do) nm in an object space texture slot

?!

EDIT:

tested with max 2008 32bit
    I have a GF 9600M GT with dx 10.1 and vista 32bit
    - latest drivers

and what max version do I need to see this nicely grouped layout of the material in the material editor ? :)

cool stuff guys :)

have you applied the '3point quality normals' Modifier to the mesh?. I just tested it on a 1 smoothing group cube and it looks perfect

norman3D: per just answered that in the post above yours. the answer was yes
  • Farfarer
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer Polycount Sponsor
    EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realise there was a modifier to go with it :P

And good god, it's awesome. Fantastic work, dudes. I hope a lot of engine devs implement this :D
  • Michael Knubben
    Just wanted to let you guys know that the skinshader picture is much darker in HD.
    Off to play with the shader now, thanks for releasing this!
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter lvl 15
    ah I do now see how you guys do the trick

yes with the modifier it does work!

thx

edit: and I can confirm that using xnormal normalmaps and the hq setting does not work ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Tested this out this morning, tried to break it... Crazy mad props to CrazyButcher and Per, nice piece of work guys! I see this as easily becoming an industry standard.
  • bbob
    How much will the full version cost?

I wanna support this, looks great..
  • tekmatic
    I read on the 3point studio site about the 3point shader working on Max9 and above, but has anyone has it working on Max 2011?
  • roB0T
    awesome stuff guys...
    3pssl_glock19.jpg
  • Thor Sowards
    I haven't gotten to test this out yet but it does look very interesting and fun to use with but I'm still confused on the quality mode renders. I believe this has been explained by perna but im still confused :(

When you do a quality render, the shader will fix errors in the viewport on your normal so it looks sexy. Its not fixing your normal map errors on your actual map though, correct? It's just showing what your normal map could look like if you do it right.

Also r_fletch had said yes to Norman's question yes you can implement the quality mode into game engines. Hows this possible? Is this something an idiot like myself can do or is it pretty tech heavy?