UPDATED JULY 15TH(thrice...)Note - more 3ds max modifications found in this thread:
3DSclean - Sensible 3ds max modificationsdev.3pointstudios.comdev.3pointstudios.com/pub/3DSclean.zipFrom the readme:
3DSclean will reconfigure a fresh 3ds max 2009 install to use more sensible default values, in addition to moving all user files to one central location, as opposed to spread around various directories on your harddrives.
Unsupported and provided without any warranty.INSTRUCTIONS:
- Install 3ds Max 2009. Do NOT run the program.
- Copy the files in the 3DSclean archive into the root directory of the program.
- Run 3DSclean.bat
- Start the program like usual and enjoy the new default setup
Disable the welcome screen
Disable the viewcube
Zoom Extents works on selected object
Zoom All Extents works on selected object
Orbit works on Subobject (i.e viewport rotation will work the way it should)
Small UI buttons
Object lister now uses the old dialog instead of scene explorer
Select By Name now uses the old dialog instead of scene explorer
Close infocenter floater
Remove undo/redo buttons
Set highest rez viewport textures
Set Anisotropic filtering
Set 'Nearest' mipmap lookup
Raised ambient color
Default materials changed
"Propagate Materials to Instances" disabled
Shows 6x4 materials by default
Unit setup to centimeters
Undo level 80
Autobackup every 2.5 minutes
16 autobackup files
16 Recent Files listed
All transform gizmo appearances altered
Reference Coordinate System Constant
Supress collapse stack warning
Supress topology dependence warning
Supress missing UVs rendering warning
Disable backface culling on create
Enable keyboard shortcut override toggle
Enable vertex snaps
Set default render sizes to sensible values from 640x480 to 1600x1200
Do not zoom extents following file import
Do not propagate unhide/unfreeze commands to layers
Removed the annoying multi-click bug error report dialog when max crashes
Max no longer lives in "my documents"
Max no longer lives in "Documents and settings\user\local settings\application data\autodesk\"
All relevant max files are in one user-chosen location
All user files will reside in a directory of your choosing
you can now keep your own max changes and overrides separate from the max installation files.
To transfer your setup to another machine, do the following:
- Copy the setup directory (chosen by you), 3dsmax.ini, d3dgfx.ini and InstallSettings.ini into the other install. Some extensions may have dropped plugin files in <max_root>\stdplugs, which you will have to move over manually for them to work. I suggest moving all 3rd party plugins into the "userplugins" directory below your 3DSclean directory.
- Make sure to edit the ini files to contain the correct paths for the new location
Listed with getDir values for maxscript:
- icons\ - #userIcons: icon files you put in here will override the default max ones
- scripts\ - #userScripts: typical script install path, though untouched by max until evaluated
- scripts_evaluated\ - #userMacros: Evaluated scripts. To permanently remove a script, delete it from this location
- scripts_startup\ - #userStartupScripts & #startupScripts:
- maps\ - "global" bitmap, fx and photometric files
- plugcfg\ - #plugcfg: plugin configuration files
- proj\ - #scene default project directory
- renderpresets\ - #renderPresets
Default max scene. Found in the 3DSclean install directory. You can replace this with your own setup.
3 small, 1 large viewport, ideally sized for 1:333 renderoutput on widescreen monitors
Viewport statistics toggled off by default. When enabled, shows currently selected and total number of triangles only.
Disabled selection brackets
Show edges for selected objects
Area filter set to 1.0. This is the correct way to fix blurry renders in max, not by changing the filter type.
Increased loading speed by removing dependency on acadblocks.dlu and reactor.dlc
It's strongly suggested that you start using the project directory feature of 3ds (found in the file menu). The advantage is that files will be grouped on a per-project basis. For example your export/import files and autobackup files. This means you can, among other things, go back to a 6-month old project and still have the autobackup files intact.
Once you have defined a project, by picking a directory, max will make a number of subdirectories and use those for various tasks. The default directory is set to "<max_root>\usr\proj". You can set it to any location on your machine. The 3DSclean custom subdirectories are listed below:
- \ - root dir, holds scene(.max), sound, animation and material files
- \tmp - temporary files, not used in production. Typically import/export and map bakes. Drop anything in this dir
- \img - bitmap files used in production. Normal, diffuse, specular, etc
- \out - optional. Used at 3Point for WIP screenshots and renders plus overpaints, sequentially numbered images
- \bak - autobackup files for the project
Some scripts write to hard-coded locations instead of using the correct getDir values. Many also want to be placed in stdplugs/stdscripts, which is reserved for standard max scripts. Well-written scripts will behave properly, while some others may require you to move files around manually.
Max 8,9,2008 and 2010 are untested with 3DSclean and unsupported, but may well work fine.
- Removed the "choice" and "my documents" references, increasing OS compatibility. Please note that you can still manually enter the path to your "My Documents" directory
- Removed 3DSclean_noprompt.bat
- Now contains alternative installer: 3DSclean_noprompt.bat, which will work on installs that do not support the "choice" command (some flavors of vista I assume)
- maxstart.max: Viewport layout optimized for 1:333 render ratio.
- maxstart.max: Removed file dependency on acadblocks.dlu and reactor.dlc. Increased loading speed.
- maxstart.max: Viewport brackets off. Changed zooms.
- Lights created default to having shadows enabled
- Fixed bug where userplugins directory is not created. To fix this problem simply create a userplugins directory under your install destination
- Added install path choice menu in installer
- Added errorchecking in installer
- Added default material override
- Added userplugins directory
- Added help file to Help->Additional Help in Max
- Show 6x4 materials in the material editor
- Select By Name now uses old (fast) dialog instead of scene explorer
- Disabled "Propagate Materials to Instances"
Download (60kb): dev.3pointstudios.com/pub/3DSclean.zip