Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• dek
    Some lowpoly weapons I made for a game I am working on :)

Df5JHs1.jpg
  • nightz
    Zinc0 wrote: »
    Hi! Really cool stuff here. It's my first post on this thread.
    I hope find advices here. It's a quick designed character. Texture in progress, and there is maybe too much poly for the moment. I'll make lods, i thinks...
    I'm a little bit stuck with the fur. I'm not sure for the alpha polys,and I dont have really references in mind.
    So any help is welcome!:)
    +
    SkullGuyWipWeb.jpg
    ql3m.jpg

Hi, i really like this! No crits really (I think the model is good as is). Care to show wires? What size is the texture?
  • Shudrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    dek wrote: »
    Some lowpoly weapons I made for a game I am working on :)

I love it !
  • dek
    Shudrum wrote: »
    I love it !

Thank you! Here are some more; basic food stuff, mostly found in environment, no crafting involved.

UB48bde.jpg
  • whiketan
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    Zinc0 wrote: »
    Thx! Ok I admit I'm above 1000 tri :poly122:. In fact it's around 2000. but I would like to keep the roundness of the glove and boots, and the head of course... And for the texture, i'm working on a 1024*1024. But I think a 512 could be ok. And for the sword 200 tri /512*256
    7yc8.png

Thats pretty awesome looking! 2000 polys is pretty much low poly now a days anyways.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Very cool, I would've said you could lose a lot of tris on the head if you wanted the eyes to be part of the texture rather than the model, but guessing you've done that on purpose for keeping the eyes separate. Texture wise the armor's cool but maybe the areas could use more detail? Really awesome design!
  • Aerial_Knight
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That isn't exactly lowpoly, is it?
  • GreypWalker

I am a intermediate modeler still learning some of the basics. I have been exploring some low poly solutions for assets.

medieval_fantasy_sword_by_greypwalker-d6qlgce.png

simple_fantasy_bow_by_greypwalker-d6qviyq.png
  • Patrikwindahl
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrikwindahl polycounter lvl 9
    This is the first draft of the player model for my first iPhone game! 451 tris and 256 diffuse. I'm new to hand painted stuff but it's really fun!

1DCX1l5.png
  • guhhh
    Offline / Send Message
    guhhh polycounter lvl 9
    This is some stuff I´ve made for "Orc Vengeance" for IOS. (Yes I know it has been released a while ago :\)
    If you want fell free to give any feedback (I can use for next projects)

rqzn8n.jpg
    2qs5ops.jpg

GREAT WORK FABIO!
  • TheAfro
    Flophat (click to view in 3D)
    thumbnail_448.png

Started as a simple practice of combining things - had combined a fedora and a tophat, then it went to be practice for hand-painting textures. Just started really doing them, this was my first attempt.

[Edit: I can't get the embedded sketchfab option to work. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.]
  • lipuster
    Offline / Send Message
    lipuster polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,

My first post here. Really inspired by the huge amountawesome stuff in this thread.
    I am designing some 3d avatars for a social app. First time working on something lowpoly and loving the minimalism! Any feedback or critique or advice form the talented guys here would be a huge help.

image.jpg

clothes_3.jpg

P.S: My triangle counts are bit higher than those specified here. But since it is not a game, we are able to support that count. If I shouldn't post here because of that, do let me know.

Thanks for your time.:)
    Regards,
    Rakesh
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Another wep form me :3

SgFe8JN.jpg
  • celark
    Here are a few buildings I have been working on for our upcoming mobile game. Any crits and advice are welcome.

2dtybtk.jpg

2usu53s.jpg

2u7yii9.jpg

wqoaah.jpg

107kq61.jpg
  • Saigo
    A minicab. Still not decided with the color scheme.
    CMy1h4v.png
  • Unluck
    Optinium wrote: »
    Another wep form me :3

SgFe8JN.jpg

Really liking those weapons :) Funny stats presentation, hehe. Colors are just screaming in this last one.
  • loki1991
    Optinium wrote: »
    2 hand painted low poly WoW inspired weps from my thread :3http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117270

99WI9z6.jpg

this is rather cool looking however some friendly advice. this axe doesn't have a clear handle and it looks rather painful to hold. style is great and all however some basics should be kept.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    loki1991 wrote: »
    this is rather cool looking however some friendly advice. this axe doesn't have a clear handle and it looks rather painful to hold. style is great and all however some basics should be kept.

I mean, it's a magic sword made of unmelting ice. It has a face. I would say given this, imagining someone holding it is easy, in terms of believability.

It is also great work.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite, Alex. Sure, the axe is magic, but the hands holding it will be more or less 'normal' hands - so they need a regular grip. Magic can explain stuff like "why doesn't the wielder freeze" but not so much the anatomy.

Any time you can make something more believable without sacrificing (much) of the aesthetics or high-concept, you should. (at least, in my opinion you should)

Here's a MSPaint hackjob, showing how a more credible grip could be implemented.

Optinium_GlacionAxe_edit.jpg

I will say, though, that I'm very fond of those glowy bits near the bottom. Those are excellently done. The solar shard is pretty good too, though I would maybe add some extra cuts to the slicing edges of the blade - they're blocky compared to the inner cutout and even the geo for the egg, even though they're the most important silhouette element.

Saigo - I think the tires need to be darker, the rims could be a bit more interesting (particularly in terms of fake depth) and the front is a bit empty. Maybe add a logo or a grille or both?

Celark - I think you might be working too much with photos and not enough with handpainting and/or abstraction. Which will look odd with low-spec shading, simple geo and a lot of texture repetition on a (screenwise) small building. Got some in-engine shots? You might have to have a go at some photoshop filters or surface blur, and don't forget about baked/painted-in AO.

lipuster - I think I'd remove some of the loops on the fingers, make them 5 sided and maybe 1/2 segments less. And then spend those triangles on rounding out the head and hairstyles. I'd also move the head down on the neck a bit, to make the underside of the chin more horizontal rather than an upwards slope.
    Dog6.jpg
    Oh and consider reworking the area around the eye a bit to give some better depth/ridges for the eye socket.

TheAfro - your AO is too strong, and you're lacking a bit of directional light. Generally it's best to make unlit objects have baked in light from the top. You did it for the ribbon/belt, but not for the felt of the hat itself.

Zinc0 - I think I would chamfer the point of the hoodie in the back, which is the most visible silhouette jaggie and it looks like a character that you play in 3rd person. Along the same lines, the neck could use some more sides, expecially since the black/white contrast of the texture makes angles stand out.

Patrikwindahl - the sail and mast look pretty good (given your texture resolution anyway) but the hull is kind of messy and stretched. Maybe these three images are of any use. I think you'd be best off making a simple tiling texture for the planks and wrapping it around neatly. And then using a unique strip to paint in the bit with the stairs and stuff for a slight punch of detail.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Snader wrote: »
    Not quite, Alex. Sure, the axe is magic, but the hands holding it will be more or less 'normal' hands - so they need a regular grip. Magic can explain stuff like "why doesn't the wielder freeze" but not so much the anatomy.

I'd definitely agree, its important to keep stuff in the realm of being believable even if its not necessarily realistic, can't just have spikes coming out of the handle XD Weapon looks fantastic though, regardless!
  • Patrikwindahl
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrikwindahl polycounter lvl 9
    Patrikwindahl - the sail and mast look pretty good (given your texture resolution anyway) but the hull is kind of messy and stretched. Maybe these three images are of any use. I think you'd be best off making a simple tiling texture for the planks and wrapping it around neatly. And then using a unique strip to paint in the bit with the stairs and stuff for a slight punch of detail.

Thanks a alot! I'll definitely have a look at these things!
  • loki1991
    Optinium_GlacionAxe_edit.jpg

this looks better. the handle is more believable and hand guard makes it look even cooler!
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    @Zinc0: love the character and run cycle, good work!

Here are some pictures of the 2nd boss for Full Blast, it is the big daddy of the brain bug :P

and I know, I know, it has more than 1000 tris...

full thread of this project here.

fb_brain_high.jpg

fb_brain.jpg
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks for the discussion and feedback surrounding my magic axe, a hilt was definately a consideration when modelling, but like Ysalex mentions I thought the 'magicness' of it outweighed that design aspect, evidentially to some peoples criticism. It will sit higher on my list of priorities in future :D

Quicky from me :3... If anyone can get the references then you're awesome :P

nwhqlsy.jpg
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Hey mega-awesome-thread goers,

I just wanted to drop a link to this tumblr I made which consists solely of low poly pixel art 3D work.

I need to link it, not to promote the blog, but because the majority of the posts now (and the queued posts for the next 20+ days) are coming directly from this amazing thread.

I am also looking for more artists/references, so please do submit your/your friends or people you look up to so we can keep them in a convenient reference blog. itspixelpixels at gmail, or you can tweet them at me (@___discovery) if need be!

Thanks to all your amazing inspiration and I hope I can help promote you and your work to inspire others as well who don't have the time to wade the 400+ page thread!

<3
  • lipuster
    Offline / Send Message
    lipuster - I think I'd remove some of the loops on the fingers, make them 5 sided and maybe 1/2 segments less. And then spend those triangles on rounding out the head and hairstyles. I'd also move the head down on the neck a bit, to make the underside of the chin more horizontal rather than an upwards slope.
    Dog6.jpg
    Oh and consider reworking the area around the eye a bit to give some better depth/ridges for the eye socket.

Thank you so much snider. That was very helpful!
    Removed a whole bunch of polys from teh hands and some other places (joints and feet) and my polycount went down quite a lot, allowing me to really smooth out the haid and hair, and still be much below my previous count:)

Also, took your advice for the chin and eye sockets. Thanks again:)

image.jpg
  • ceriux
    Offline / Send Message
    ceriux polycounter lvl 10
    how come you're counting verts and not tri's?
  • lipuster
    Offline / Send Message
    These characters are for a social app, where memory usage is of more concern than render speed (coz theer will be only one character and nothing else on screen). Quad and tri count are relevant for rendering speeds..but vert count (and joint count when there are lots of animation) is relevant for memory usage, since uv count, etc is directly dependent on it.

At least that's what the guys in charge of the engine told me:)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Well here It says sub 1000 triangles not verts anyway.
    Also the knee detailing on that 2500 render is ridonkulously high.

Looks nice otherwise.
  • Mr.64
    Poly:77
    tris:154
    diffuse 256x256
    glass wip
    + lamp inside

2331160.jpg
    2331161.jpg
  • Rubikubi
    So many cool low poly models in this thread, kind of inspired me to do one too. Also kind of my first time posting work on Polycount, so Hello everyone!

This is the Hexer from Etrian Odyessy. It is a work in progress, there is still some tweaking to do. Designs are from the game's artbook. This is sitting at 1668 tris for the character. 72 for the base.

tQd8OPw.jpg8iWPvGf.jpg

Comments and feedback would be awesometastic.
  • dek
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Good morning!
    This is why I don't really do vehicles; I suck at 'em.

Then again, I suppose practice makes perfect.
    Any critiques or comments are welcome! I know it's juuuust above the 1k limit, but that's mainly because I forgot I had to add mirrors as well. :poly122:

4Y5IM.png

Sorta inspired by Kavinsky - Testarossa Autodrive.

Ferrari Testarossa (View in 3D)
    PG3zo
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Cool, a testarossa!

I did a lowpoly one as well a while ago :)

iktaJs6TTVzsu.png
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Free_Fall wrote: »
    Cool, a testarossa!

iktaJs6TTVzsu.png

I'm ashamed of myself now... :(
    Oh well, I'd say it's not bad for a 1-hour model.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Free_Fall wrote: »
    Cool, a testarossa!

iktaJs6TTVzsu.png

Get those wheels textured! This is a nice piece.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall - Care to share wires? They would probably help Kosai out a lot in seeing where he could improve.

Rubikubi - Your chapes don't read very well; you need (stronger) baked lighting on the face, legs, bell and such. And the background colour is really, really close to your cloth.

Mr.64 - This is a rather inefficient texture layout. All you really need is two textures (front and back) and then a couple of trim pieces for the housing. There's no need to have the glass as a separate bit, and there's no need for having the map cut into two parts.
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Sure thing! Here you go Kosai :)
    And don't feel ashamed you're doing fine dude!
    iTuL7AniHprVu.png
  • kryptolith
    has anyone here done a low poly dog before? i'm looking at doing one, need some wires to look at
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    kryptolith wrote: »
    has anyone here done a low poly dog before? i'm looking at doing one, need some wires to look at

I made this one about 10 years ago, when I was learning 3D, so the wire is not the best but maybe you can take some ideas.

lowpoly_dog.jpg
  • thebamboobear
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    tucho wrote: »
    I made this one about 10 years ago, when I was learning 3D, so the wire is not the best but maybe you can take some ideas.

http://private-content.artbytucho.com/images/forums/lowpoly_dog.jpg

lol his eyes look derpy xD cute!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys,a guy requested me a low poly handpainted manga kind of style character,so I had to pause the other things to do this :)

I've always done highpoly hardsurface,first time I attempt to do a character low poly,so any feedback or crit or link to tutorials that you think could help me is welcome :)

988 tris,as for the palette is choosen and only the hair is completed.

A big mistake is the fact that I though I could overlap the face uv's,so now the reflection on the eyes are mirrored,a thing I had not thought about :poly141:

ozyi.png
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Mine isn't as great as the others and really wasn't made with my mind set on low polycount, but the final piece minus the pin was 960 tri's and could work on mobile (if the game was solely around that one model lmao)

Anyway, hope you guys like.

2pyamtw.jpg

9hv3gi.jpg
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Hand Painted, First Try
    piil3j4eweop.png
    a>

wacw3l5e79kv.png
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you!
    Your stuff is looking cool,too! :)
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    [SKETCHFAB]75ab3c5f19c346698aae88bb45cc6f2f[/SKETCHFAB]
    Gave myself saturday to make one of the Ledbetter toys sitting on my shelf, a few errors on it (originally textured with a 512/512, this is a 256/256), texture leak/uv waviness.
  • Dennispls
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    Nice one Gazu! Looks like we followed the same tutorial :)
    Here was my first attempt:

Sword.jpg
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Yours is looking very cool :)

I would like to see more those good HandPainted Tutorials :(