Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    diamond3 wrote: »
    God damn people, stop using Cyrillic letters in English words! People from slavic countries (like me) will struggle alot to read this mess! The same goes to Greek letters, too I think.

no,we greeks just laugh cause they don't know what they're writing :poly136:
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Micah wrote: »
    I would love some feedback on what you think about presentation at the moment and how I could improve.

presentationslimehorns.png

Thanks for any feedback.

Here's a mock up with just some cut and paste work in MS-Paint. I'm sure you can do better with access to the original 3D files:
    PresentationLayout_Micah.jpg

I can recommend having one large render and then a few smaller ones from other perspectives. And I would definitely keep all text in the same space. Be it as a single line of text at the bottom of the image, or as a more squarish block of info near the texture - keeping it in one spot makes the whole image a lot cleaner. Text also doesn't have to be bold or large.

Organizationally, I would put my main image slash beauty-render at the top or left side. Then put the alternate renders, texture and textual info to the right and below that. This is because of the (western) habit of reading left-to-right, and top-to-bottom. You want your image to tell a bit of a story: this is my awesome work, these are some other sides, and these are the technical details if you really care.

Of course, these are all just rules of thumb to live by, and can all be broken. For example, if you have concept art you're following, you might put that before the actual model, to show chronology. Or you could always have a standard name/website/email at the bottom of each image, in addition to a textblock. Or you could put text near details - such as having the main image as a character, and then smaller renders+text for weaponty. Anyway, yeah, guidelines, not laws.

Personally, I also tend to use a lighter background (such as 128,128,128 grey) which makes it possible to just stick on the texture without having to put a border around it without blending too much, and to use black wireframes, which feel less intrusive than white wireframes. Similar to how an always on pixel is more bothersome than a dead one - to me at least.

And of course traditional compositional aspects still matter. Things such as balancing visual weight, having the object 'look in to' the image instead of at a border, and having a good focal point.

In the end the image is there to tell a clear and concise story about your asset.
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Another flower variant, 256 diffuse/alpha/normal

low_poly_flowers02.jpg
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    diamond3 & Sauron- :( This does seem to have irked a few people... so I can only apologise!

The font was a custom one the programmer put together, switching out Latin letters for aesthetically similar Cyrillic ones to 'flavour' the text with a Soviet feel and give an exotic, cosmonauty, CCCP-era look but still be completely legible for a native Latin-script reader.

It was really just an artistic decision aimed squarely at a Latin-script (and predominantly English) reading audience. Sadly it just highlights my ignorance of your written language - but at the same time I never imagined a non-English speaking audience would have to read it!

The problem with completely transliterating the text is that it would then have been illegible to the largest market (the US) on the app store. The programmer had actually switched out a lot more of the letters for Cyrillic ones in the font, but in testing most players struggled to read it, so a process of re-Latinisation had to be undertaken to get it easily legible again.

I'm not sure it's a completely unusual practice with typography but I can understand how it could be annoying to read... I hope you can understand the reasoning behind it at least.

Your letters just look cooler, is all!

Amsterdam Hilton Hotel - Thanks a lot! I flipping love your portfolio, by the way. Awesome stuff!

Ged - Cheers! It's all just hand-painted, the assets in the final game look a bit different as the programmer added dynamic lighting and some funky shaders over the top. Lovely job with Traffic Panic too!

JimJupiter - Thanks! Hehe, yeah Vinon is one of the many weird suggestions from the programmer's 'random alien name' generating program.

waf - Looks eerily translucent! Love it

Chillydog12345 - Haha, cheers! Took me a few goes to hit the right level of d'aww!

achillesian
    - Hah! I tried to come up with a list of appalling Russian/dog based puns for the achievement names and that actually was one of the only respectable entries! Don't know if any of them even ended up in game... Thanks!

Slave_zero - Cheers - glad you like!

tucho - Thanks so much. Impeccable work on that ship too - so crisp and clean... Beautifully done!
  • gUnter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stabbington, you just showed "Scoop" (so-called post-perestroika mentality in the former Soviet Union). The first translations of the English game into Russian by translate looked that way.
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Wanted to start getting the hang of hand painting textures and figured do something easy like a tree. So I did a tree. Finished out at 352 tris and a single 512X512 diffusal for all the parts.

PalmTreeFinished.jpg
    TreeNotTexturedSmall.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It kind of looks like a pineapple on a stick. You should blend in the two shapes a bit. The structure should be more like a rope or braid or something that's unraveling at the end - not like two completely separate shapes. And have you considered a more tiling texture for the trunk? Also, your large image is suffering from compression a lot, don't know if it's the render or the source texture.

Nina: nice close borders for the most part, though I suggest you cut this red line in and delete the empty triangle:
    lessoverdraw_2.jpg
    For that free extra bit of performance.

Stabbington: I think you should keep in soviet-styled fonts, but not this particular one. Like said before, it's hard to read, but also - it's just an ugly font. Not a stylized one, but simply a regular one with added Cyrillic symbols.
    Your logo on the other hand works well. It's nice and chunky without having too many
    mangled symbols. I'd suggest looking for something similar but lighter weighted. Something like these maybe:
    http://www.fontspace.com/total-fontgeek/akron-nbp
    http://www.fontspace.com/neogrey-creative/red-october
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/teknik/
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/hihretrofonts/rodchenko-constructed-ml/
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/volcano/mountain/
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly if I could blend I would. To get detail in the UV though I'm tiling it around the top using the square 8 times. Same goes for the trunk. I could do a high res version of it where it does blend correctly but if I did that I would just sculpt a tree :P

edit: I'm suprised you saw just a pineapple. I saw shaft and tip doing the pasta.
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the tip Snader, I'll do that to the asset!
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Snader wrote: »
    Stabbington: I think you should keep in soviet-styled fonts, but not this particular one. Like said before, it's hard to read, but also - it's just an ugly font. Not a stylized one, but simply a regular one with added Cyrillic symbols.
    Your logo on the other hand works well. It's nice and chunky without having too many
    mangled symbols. I'd suggest looking for something similar but lighter weighted. Something like these maybe:
    http://www.fontspace.com/total-fontgeek/akron-nbp
    http://www.fontspace.com/neogrey-creative/red-october
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/teknik/
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/hihretrofonts/rodchenko-constructed-ml/
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/volcano/mountain/

Yeah I 100% agree with Snader, you can definitely keep a nice legible soviet themed font but the one at the moment has to go, it really sticks out and doesn't read well at all. Any of the ones Snader linked would be a large improvement. Once that's done, the game looks pretty perfect :D
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg: You've got a 512². You have plenty of room for detail. Can I see your texture so I can tell you what's going wrong?
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes working on things tipsy isn't the best idea and when I woke up this morning I saw my problem instantly. The saturation was cranked up way too high. Untitled.png
    PalmTreeTexture2.png
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    hawken wrote: »
    I've started using normal maps on stuff on the iPhone now, so here it is folks; normal maps are ok*

* = so long as the assets you are working on are for mobile / lowpoly applications.

I haven't posted anything to this thread for a year or so, and I've never been what you could consider an 'active' member of the community, but I drop by the forums almost every day to check stuff out, and this thread is the first place I look. I avoided the debate previously, and I don't want to drive the thread into another four-page argument over what constitutes 'lowpoly', but I'm worried about the future. This thread has become more of a 'mobile' asset thread, which is fine for now I guess, given that most mobile tech requires models to be properly "low" lowpoly. What happens in five years, tho, when mobile devices can push 5000+ tri characters around without breaking a sweat? At that point you don't really need a lowpoly thread. That's what the rest of the forum is for, yeah?

I mean, sure, there will always be people posting their really low res work in this thread, but the more powerful mobile devices get, the more budget variation ends up in this thread. It used to be a design challenge of a sort to see if you could get that character or prop design to fit within this miniscule budget by cheating and being as efficient as possible, forcing you to make every triangle work for you. Now there's still some really great stuff getting posted in here that are excellent examples of that, but there's more noise lately and it makes me kinda sad.

Just my thoughts on the matter, tho. I shall now resubmerge into the lurking depths.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    earlier this year i did some low poly vehicles for gameloft's latest shooty phone game, which were somewhere around 2500 tris and 1024 diffuse, grayscale spec, gloss, and normals.

mobile stuff is pretty nuts now, it'd be silly to keep this thread really old spec since the tech has changed.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • Jerfy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I too am a long time lurker, and I created this account purely to chime in..

I don't think platform should come in to it, this thread (to me at least), is about pure sub 1000 triangle models. I like to see people take up the challenge of doing lowpoly models, more than seeing people getting around the triangle limit by using normal maps.

To me lowpoly should be seen more as an art style or choice rather than a forced limitation (by platform), and normals maps ruin that for me.

Perhaps start a new thread with a larger limit while being able to use normal maps and the sort.. LOWPOLY (Sub 6000~ Triangle Models w/ Normal Maps) anyone?

Anyway, that was just my incoherent thoughts on the matter, I look forward to seeing more lowpoly models!
  • maxguyday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxguyday polycounter lvl 6
    Cheeky cross-post time!

Wrapped up on a few of weeks making assets for an iOS game called Danglesmash that just launched yesterday;

Aliens_01.jpg
    Alien - 260 tris // Ship Base & Canopy - 292 tris

Dog.jpg
    Sputnik Rocket - 972 tris // Space Dog - 582 tris // Sputnik 1 - 424 tris // Sputnik X - 536 tris

Aliens_03.jpg
    Top Row L-R - 260 tris // 386 tris // 408 tris // 412 tris
    Bottom Row L-R - 418 tris // 484 tris // 236 tris // 406 tris

Planets_02.jpg
    Planets - ~600 tris each

Baikonur_01.jpg

Screen_00.jpg

You can see some more stuff here; http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110344

Cheers!

0s6WFbF6DuY.jpg
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    @Free_fall: those loops are super sexy! :)

Original texture 512 but 256 holds up pretty good, i'll throw on some Q3 tech shaders for nice reflective chrome.

darth_malgus_hilt.jpg
  • skeletal_raven_arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skeletal_raven_arts polycounter lvl 5
    after seeing this awesome thread i just couldnt hold my self! and i wanted to try low poly, so took a hour of my time =_= i know too long, and i did this, lowpoly_zombie_war_pouch_by_darkslyer7raven-d5mvga9.jpg

so? :D good enough?
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your kind comments Nina I. and stabbington :)

@Harry
    this is very dope. It's like an A10 plowed a mig21 and this is the baby. Style and rendering are great too. Good feel.

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I started to work on the first environment, it is still really W.I.P. but here you can see a couple of ingame screenshots and a wire. I'm using just a 2048x2048 texture atlas for the whole map (and another 2k map for the ligthmap) I just used about 1/3 of the texture space, but I still have to add a lot of textures to this atlas: gardens, highways, bridges, alien objects, etc... so I'll need at least another week of work to complete it.

You can see the full thread of this project here.

city_tileset_WIP_1.jpg

city_tileset_WIP_2.jpg
  • ActionDawg
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    A small update and a video

tileset_WIP_2.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93flBUH4Sq8&fmt=18"]Shooter W.I.P. - YouTube[/ame]

full thread of this project here.
  • RLPudding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    448 tris, 256x256 texture
    cc_render1_2_composite.jpg

should I go with the gradient on his legs, or just plain color?
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly they are all a bit over 1k.. but I still want to show them!

jbjrhOCJh03Cu6.png

jLF0UoMCy7Yd9.png

j6MQopbp05Vj9.png

j4BNwY70qEopw.png
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Free_Fall! Awesome work!
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    tucho - Looks great - I don't think I've ever played an isometric flying shoot-em-up! The style works really nicely but I think your awesome looking ship gets a bit lost in all that similarly coloured subdued grey-green scenery.

RLPudding - Nice, reminds me of Journey! Do you have any wires? I feel it's maybe a bit of a shame not to do a bit more with the silhouette, especially on the body and legs, even if it meant a few more tris...

Free_Fall - Those are well good! The first low-poly model I ever tried to make was a sub 1k Karmann Ghia - I was hoping to dig it out and finish it off one day but I doubt I could ever get it looking as nice as that! Ace.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Squiggly_P wrote: »
    What happens in five years, tho, when mobile devices can push 5000+ tri characters around without breaking a sweat? At that point you don't really need a lowpoly thread. That's what the rest of the forum is for, yeah?

The world ends on december the 21st. Go nuts!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    freefall all of those cars are fuckin dope. Is that one of those czech proto-beetles?
  • gUnter
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    freefall all of those cars are fuckin dope. Is that one of those czech proto-beetles?

Nope it's a 69' Volkswagen Kafer 1300

And thanks for all those reply's guys! Never thought I would get so many :)
  • Harmalarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harmalarm polycounter lvl 12
    Free_Fall, those models are really awesome! You have a very consistent way of modelling. Also your texturing work is awesome. I am curious to see how you will texture these babies ;)
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments stabbington and gUnter :)
    Looks great - I don't think I've ever played an isometric flying shoot-em-up! The style works really nicely but I think your awesome looking ship gets a bit lost in all that similarly coloured subdued grey-green scenery.

We're makind different tests with the point of view, the isometric point of view is the best looking one but gameplay is a bit harder than the typical top down point of view... we're currently discussing about If we must bet for a bit more risky and original game or just make the typical one and bet on a sure thing.

You're right about the ship is a bit lost on this environment, I'll have to tweak the colors of the environment or the ship once I added all the elements.

Just an update of the environment, I added a lot of small elements to the scene, I'll keep adding elements the next days.

city_tileset_WIP_3.jpg

• Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work on the city Tucho, looks rock solid! :D

I'm quite busy too with a pixelart style metropolis scenery, but I'm struggling with textures and modular placement of things...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shameless crosspost!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3poccokj4HE[/ame]
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    let it spin a little slower lol :P
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Nice creature MightyPea :), what is its polycount and texture size?

Just an update of the city, I added some more props and decals

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg-D8tTrZbA&feature=plcp&fmt=18]Shooter W.I.P. - YouTube[/ame]

• cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    My ermmm... Knife. Not the best, but I'm new to the whole game workflow.
    GKNife.png
  • EbonyStallion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey.. for anyone here who has watched the anime "Sword Art Online", here's some characters I made for it. I plan to make a lot more once i have more time. All models made in Maya, unwrapped in 3ds max, and textured in photoshop.

2mnrr42.png
    20kt2kj.png
    1zv4jgw.png

and for anyone who has watched bleach,
    28rlb1k.png

everything is under 1500 tris with one 512x512 texture.

I'm still a rookie though.
  • pixelimmersion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelimmersion polycounter lvl 5
    @tucho I have a total rookie question about the topology of the buildings for you: Why are some of the walls divided into 2 tris and others left as a quad? Does this affect anything?
  • Wicketd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tucho I have a total rookie question about the topology of the buildings for you: Why are some of the walls divided into 2 tris and others left as a quad? Does this affect anything?
    I was about to ask the same thing.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Wicketd wrote: »
    I was about to ask the same thing.

As far as I know, any game engine will count a quad as two tris, so basically, nothing changes. :)
    Personally I prefer to split everything in tris, so my 3D tool will tell me the exact number of polygons in the model.
  • Wex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wex polycounter lvl 12
    Protagonist for an old school zelda-like (1277 tris):
    Xv7w3.png
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    @pixelimmersion, @Wicketd and @Mr_Drayton:

Normally I just use edges across a quad when I really care in which direction will be this edge, because it could affect to the shape or the smoothing (I can count tris in 3ds max even using quads for modelling, my polygon budget is always in tris, of course).

In the case of the buildings I used edges in the models that their facades are more complex than a simple quad, you can see it clearly on the picture below.

edges.jpg
  • EbonyStallion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wex wrote: »
    Protagonist for an old school zelda-like (1277 tris):
    Xv7w3.png
    as a ridiculous zelda fanboy since I was an infant, that's actually very accurate.
    Very good job man.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Please retweet so i can get this game out for the OUYA release :)

148 Tris and 64x128
    Capture-1923.png

https://twitter.com/Pixelgent/status/277062408676208640
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Low Poly Janitor I made for a game, x512 texture, little on the big side.

janitor_final.png
    janitor_final2.png
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
  • Leisure Centaur
    Please retweet so i can get this game out for the OUYA release :)

148 Tris and 64x128
    Capture-1923.png

https://twitter.com/Pixelgent/status/277062408676208640

Retweeted to my meagre amount of followers, lots of people who like lowpoly 3D though!

Love it by the way, love it! Ace palette :)
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5