Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOWPOLY (or: the optimisation appreciation organisation)

Replies

• Tysho
    free BSD's beastie gone havok? :poly101:
    beastie.png

Naked-er too... Also, this may sound like a completely stupid question but what's free bsd?
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats to ELD for placing #25 out of more than 800 entries in the Ludum Dare 22! Well deserved :)
    http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=top
  • laperen
    sol1test1.pngscaled.php?server=843&filename=sol1test1.png&res=medium

THIS IS WHAT YOU CAN DO AS A NEWCOMER?!

good god you must have quite a learning capacity
  • Tysho
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Nice Tysho,

His mouth is awesome, it has tons of depth and how you got it tweaking a bit there is sweet.

I'd like to see a little detail on the horns though. Maybe a ring around the base, and maybe give them a little orange or yellow.
  • Seyhk
    dirty bassett, he looks really nice, you already rule as a newcomer.

i made a lizard thing and here is a gif of his idle (or sometihng like that)
    374 Tris - 256 colour
    Idle.gif
    The gif came out pretty slow, but he looks kinda cute for me anyway.
  • Jigsaw
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Die, monster!
    richter_wip.jpg

I was originally aiming for around 1000 tris - he's currently sitting at about 1200, before props and optimization. We'll see where it ends up...
  • dirty bassett
    Thanks guys. Lots of great work on here.
    Think im done with this, time to move onto something else.
    Half-Life 2 rebel.
    500 tri on the nose (including gun and backpack)
    One 64x64 texture for everything.
    scaled.php?server=846&filename=sol1posed.png&res=medium
  • jimmypopali
    Delko wrote: »
    walls3444.png
    Its like I'm really in the 90s!

Would you put a slight shadow under the first rim the light hits?
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 10
    I5Xbk.jpg

Small scene I did. 999 tris, 2 512px textures, including lightmap and opacity
  • achillesian
    @Brandoom The desert floor needs to tile less obviously, or not as often, maybe both. Lightmap kind of looks bad, you might consider hand painting it if you're forced to work with a very low resolution lightmap (this can also serve as poorman's(low spec) vertex painting like in UDK). Given that the lightmap should break up and shade areas of the tree trunk, you could probably go with a smaller, tiling texture along the trunk (if you aren't already).

Stylistically I really like this, the one area that could use some more interest is probably the roof, making it bent or messed up in some area (extra sheet hanging off side?) would make it cool.
  • willy-wilson
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 11
    brandoom wrote: »

Man that's great. It has a very DE_Dust look to it.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 8
    I'm kinda a fan of these photorealistic lowpoly models, I always tought they're very underrated. They have something inside that I can't explain myself, and that something makes me like them, no matter if they use stock textures or not. This one of yours is no exception.

Anyways, you can produce a better lightmap using always that 512x512 space and placing UVs by hand, leaving a bigger space for larger areas like ground and external walls. I'm pretty sure you will have enough space to make some detailed shadows. ;)
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feed-back guy, its appreciated. Just for the sake of it, here are the textures. I had to respect a pixel density of 64 pixel per meter (this was actually an art test, shhh lol).

plw9j.jpg

As you can see I had a bit of left over space I could have used up. Would a 256x384px light map be acceptable within a studio environment? That likely would have helped a bit with the resolution issue. I didn't even think to try hand paint the shadows either.. Next time!
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 12
    hi, you have pretty good start on the scene there.
    try to avoid odd ratio like 256x 384 pixel for any texture use Square instead, most compression doesnt like that .
    source : http://programming4.us/multimedia/2454.aspx
    keep it 256 ,( or 512 if you decided to make it bigger)

for uv space issue in lightmap, use vertex color for tiny object like tree , ground is the most important space.
    if you think vertex color is not possible, just move the 2nd channel uv for the tree in the area that has similar/make sense lightmap color.

not having hanging cloth shadow on the wall, while feel a bit unrealistic, its better than having low resolution shadow on the ground. :-3

good luck in ur test :)
  • Seyhk
    Wilson that's cute, pixelated stuff are awesome!

SpaceSoldierSmaller.png
    Awkward the way this hose thing is right now, i might fix both the model/texture and the rig later.
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    more boring stuff for dat ass
    welp.png
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 14
    Bit of a postmortem from my latest iOS app, some might find an interesting read:

http://dadako.com/blog/whats-new-in-ibath-1-2

Dig up the original thread on here for tech details.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    Bit of a postmortem from my latest iOS app, some might find an interesting read:

This night I took a read at the whole post, and I actually found it interesting. It's great you got so much feedback from parents who let their childeren use your App, sure iBath is perfect for them.
    But the most important thing to me is that the whole post makes me sure about this idea of mine: small game != small work. No matter how an App/game is simple, the work behind is never short.

In the place where I live, nobody seems to understand this concept. I'm actually developing solo an iOS game about beach marbles, and since "beach marbles" is a simple game, they all think it's simple and fast to create, so they feel free to say that I'm failing at coding it because I'm slow. But honestly, I can't expect much more than this in my country.

I would love to see what would they do in my shoes, really. They'd ragequit the first day, maybe. :shifty:
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hawken wrote: »

yeah interesting, we are now finding that in our latest mobile games we have extra geometry or shaders we turn on on the higher powered devices(4s, ipad2) to make it look more awesome. Always a little sad when the lower end devices dont look quite as cool but hey thats the hardware I guess.
  • Leisure Centaur
    Yo, been a while but I'm currently working on another simple character.

This is my D&D character, Fizzgig the half-elf druid, hello ladies etc.

He's currently 612 tris, 256x256 texure.

Couple questions. I'm finding it quite hard to make an asymmetrical character. A main part of my workflow recently has involved creating half a model and then mirroring geometry. In terms of the UV process do I literally just unwrap a full model rather than half, and get down to work?

Also any feedback regarding the texture would be ace, I find I sometimes fall between the line of cel style shading and pixelart shading and end up with an inconsistent look.

Cheers :)

fizztest9.png
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool leisure.

You can just uv half, mirror it. Then select the polys you don't want mirrored, and mirror their uv's, move them elsewhere for painting. It's easier to only uv half and just flip the uvs then it is to uv the entire mesh.

I think maybe you need to look at pixel density. Add a checkerboard pattern to your model and try to adjust the uv's so all the checkers are the same size.
    The pixels on his buttons are really small, yet the ones in his eyes are really large.
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 7
    Hello! I am new.

Still pretty green with low-poly stuff but I'm modelling characters for a Unity/iOS game. Here's the first couple I've finished;

Dunk.jpg
    Dunk - one of the main characters - ~ 1160 tris, 512 texture

PookerNook.jpg
    Pookernook - first of the enemies ~ 306 tris, 256 texture

I have about 1-2 days to pump out each one from start to finish, so I feel like I'm at least learning a lot each time I get one done... got a ton of these to get through

Anyways, good to be here!
  • Tigerfeet
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet Polycount Sponsor
    Stabbington - I love the style on those! The only thing that seems weird to me are the wings ont he Pookernook. In the side view they're completely flat. Are they rigged in such a way that their profile can be curved, or do they remain flat even when animation? I think it would be a shame to leave them flat :)
  • SamuraiDan
    Hi guys, here's a model of a engineering guy in a space suit (without a helmet cause he's in his engineering bay) :)

8dCnt.png
    1000 tris

sqpk8.png
    1 256x256 diffuse

Modeled & Textured in Silo3d
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 13
    looking pretty sweet harry.
  • bbob
    Harry wrote: »
    more boring stuff for dat ass
    welp.png

RE7?
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    vector_kriss.png

Played around with pixel art. Fun.
  • Leisure Centaur
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Looks cool leisure.

You can just uv half, mirror it. Then select the polys you don't want mirrored, and mirror their uv's, move them elsewhere for painting. It's easier to only uv half and just flip the uvs then it is to uv the entire mesh.

I think maybe you need to look at pixel density. Add a checkerboard pattern to your model and try to adjust the uv's so all the checkers are the same size.
    The pixels on his buttons are really small, yet the ones in his eyes are really large.

Thanks very much dude, that is some super useful feedback!

Think I'll have to do some playing around to nail the asymettrical stuff, all feels very abstract.

Going to force myself to rig and animate this guy a bit before I do anymore models, been putting it off again and again. I've seen some people on here (most likely pro 3D artists I expect) mention they've modelled, textured, rigged and sometimes animated a character in a few hours. Is there a quick process or walkthrough anyone can link me to for basic rigging and animating in Maya, I mean basic!
  • lean
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    Leisure Centaur: I love what you did!! really awsome. About the texture style, I really like it, though I know what you mean with the mix of pixelart and celshading. If you want to make it just celshaded, bigger texture size would do it.

I agree with baddcogand if you want to do pixelart kind of textures, the pixel density should be pretty much the same over the whole model. Take into account that it's also a common practice when you're not going for a pixelly look, to give more texture space to bigger and most important parts of the model, specially the face.

About doing it all in a few hours: the minimum it takes to me (from zero) is about eight or ten hours. But sometimes people make basic template models and then add all the details to make different characters in one style to get a greater performance.
    don't know about rigging in maya, but for animation, 2d animation books like preston blair's are a great reference.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @Leisure, No prob. Here's the best shot I have of an assym thing I did, maybe it'll help you visualize better.

tank_04-1.jpg
    You can see his whole body is mirrored, except the wound on one side of his chest. I just grabbed that tri in the UV tool and dragged it to the side. Then in photoshop I did the same with the texture, then painted the wound on top.

I suppose a very good artist could knock out a simple character in a few hours. Personally I can knock out a decent mesh in an hour or two (low poly) and maybe even uv it. But texturing something simple takes me at least several more hours. Simple rig and anim maybe a few more.
  • dirty bassett
    Doing some work on a low poly Zoey from left for dead.roeylowpoly.png
  • linz1010
    I've been working on an environment from my current favorite show:
    http://tinypic.com/r/2mcw2o9/5

http://tinypic.com/r/f1fig6/5
    http://tinypic.com/r/729j75/5

My goal for this environment was to make it usable for a nintendo 3ds game, though I am unsure of the poly/ tri limits of environment assets within the system. This particular environment is already 2,340 tris and I was hoping someone could suggest ways of cutting that down (if I even need to). I think the mushrooms are taking up a lot more polys than need be, but let me know what you guys think.
  • Helba
    Finally finally a bit of Steel!
    Sword_03.jpg
  • Tigerfeet
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much dude, that is some super useful feedback!

Think I'll have to do some playing around to nail the asymettrical stuff, all feels very abstract.

Going to force myself to rig and animate this guy a bit before I do anymore models, been putting it off again and again. I've seen some people on here (most likely pro 3D artists I expect) mention they've modelled, textured, rigged and sometimes animated a character in a few hours. Is there a quick process or walkthrough anyone can link me to for basic rigging and animating in Maya, I mean basic!
    Hey! I've been using these tutorials for building a biped rig in Maya: http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design/tutorials/P-maya/T-Maya-Rigging-Rigging-a-biped-character-for-animation/ID-125/

They're SUPER helpful, and are very similar to a process I learned in college on 3D Studio Max.

I've been working on this all weekend and in the evenings. It's taken me a LONG time to build my rig, however through the whole thing I was taking notes. I remember taking half a day to rig up the leg for the first time (and take notes) then when I went to go do the opposite side it took all of five minutes. The biggest thing for speed is just practice and repetition. Do something, then do it again, you'll be amazed how much quicker you are just the second time around.

For ANIMATION: I bought this book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Cheat-Maya-2012-Techniques/dp/0240816986"]Amazon.com: How to Cheat in Maya 2012: Tools and Techniques for Character Animation (9780240816982): Eric Luhta, Kenny Roy: Books[/ame] and I love love love it. It was a huge help in getting me up and running learning how to use the interface, etc.
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 7
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    Stabbington - I love the style on those! The only thing that seems weird to me are the wings ont he Pookernook. In the side view they're completely flat. Are they rigged in such a way that their profile can be curved, or do they remain flat even when animation? I think it would be a shame to leave them flat :)

Cheers for the comments, Tigerfeet!

We were kind of restrained by an incredibly low bone count (8 per small enemy, or something) so we made the potentially ass decision to sacrifice being able to bend them in favour of articulation elsewhere. 'Tis a shame, though. It's one of those things where I learned after the fact that I probably should have tried to model a bit of curve into it instead...
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington, if it's not rigged bending the wings would be easy.
    Even if it is you should be able to turn off the bones and do a quick bend. Or even a quick re-rig.
  • osman
    New vid showing the editor and some new tiles and shaders :)
    [ame=" Mapping Speed - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tigerfeet
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still poking about on this between Planitia projects. I think now I'm just down to messing about with color schemes. I'm really liking this one.

BikeandGirl_Front.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 12
    You can make the wheel a flat plane, because you have an alpha map on it anyway.
  • Tigerfeet
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    You can make the wheel a flat plane, because you have an alpha map on it anyway.

:poly115: how did I NOT think of that!? Thank you!
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    osman wrote: »
    New vid showing the editor and some new tiles and shaders :)

Looks awesome. You made this editor yourself?
  • osman
    Looks awesome. You made this editor yourself?

Thanks, yes together with a friend :)
  • sahil
  • Helba
    Parry, Dodge, Miss and pain animations!

[ame=" Pirates #50: Parry, dodge and pain animations - YouTube[/ame]
  • linz1010
    I realized that I forgot to add images of my wireframes! So here they are!
    marcelines_house_wire1.jpg
    marcelines_house_wire2-1.jpg
    and my ref:
    Marcelines_House.jpg
  • linz1010
    hboybowen wrote: »
    that's a cool ref. Is it from Adventure Time,because it seems like that art style. Hope to see this to the end if that is the goal

Yeah, it's marceline's house from Adventure time.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    And another scenery of my iOS project is finally done! It's not much polished (stock images *coff coff*), but my deadline is near and I don't have other time to work more on the graphics. I'm still enough satisfied with the final result. Now it's time to get back on the code, there are many things to be done before the final release. I'm keeping a development blog of this game, if you're just curious.

Here's a bunch of screens:

SCN03_1.PNG

SCN03_2.PNG

SCN03_3.PNG
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    bbob wrote: »
    RE7?

Naw, it's a B.E.2. Close though. The RE8 was basically the same airframe with a new engine and fixed gunner/pilot positions, among some other little changes.

The b.e.2 is complete crap. Gunner sits in front, under the wing, with no synchroniser. So his fire is limited by the prop in front, the wing above, the pilot to the rear, the plane itself below, and the interwing struts on the left and right. He can basically only fire on a limited upward angle out the back. Needless to say, hundreds and hundreds of these things were destroyed in flight by albatros and such.