Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOWPOLY (or: the optimisation appreciation organisation)

Replies

• B8MaN
    haha love the cheeky little truck that sneaked its way onto that pic Baddcog :P Think I am going to have to bite on this contest :) I'm not ready to post any WIPs or anything yet but I have been tooling around with a few ideas, and I think I know where I want to go. Texturing the falcon model was getting me down. Too many intricate details but very little colour variation or contrast, seems very difficult for me to achieve the look I want. I'll probably have another go at it when I've a little more experience under my belt :P, I was very pleased with the way the model turned out either way.
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 10
    IMAGE LINKS ARE BROKEN. SORRY :(

Hey, YOU!

Feeling lonely?

Don't quite have as many vertices as your neighbors?

Don't know what to do with your polys you got when your
    ex-wife left you for another bandit?

Then you might just be the badass outlaw
    prospect we have been looking for!

EdgeSplitterzMotorClub-gif1-v3.gif

Join US!

Join us, the most hardcore 1% low poly motorbike club ever,
    EDGE SPLITTERZ and get ready TO CAUSE SERIOUS MAYHEM!
    Compared to us, Garmageddon is going to look like a sunday
    trip to grandma's!

YOU MAY NOT HAVE AS MANY POLYS AS YOUR NEIGHBOR,
    BUT GOD HELP US, THE LITTLE YOU HAVE,
    THEY ARE ABOUT TO KICK ASS MORE THAN MUHAMMED ALI EVER DID!

Seriously, the mission

EdgeSplitterzMotorClub-gif2.gif

... So yeah, I've been watching SoA lately :D Since some shit happened in my
    private life, I decided to go for a mission. A mission to seek out for other
    misfortuned souls to form a unique biker club - the ultimate low poly biker club -
    called Edge Splitterz.

What this post is really all about is to GET ALL YOU BADASS POLYGON BENDERS
    out there to create your own unique BIKER (= bike and rider actually being
    separate models)
    and to just SHOW IT OFF here! BECAUSE I WANNA SEE SOME
    SERIOUSLY BADASS LOW POLY CHOPPERS!

Techy stuff

Limitations and rules? If you are as outlaw as you think you are, you need not
    to know the damn rules!

Though try to keep it as low as possible. For example, the combined face count
    for my biker (that including both rider and bike) is 571 faces (1065 tris). Bike has a 128^2
    texture, and rider has its own 128^2.

Bike: 385 faces (735 tris) + 128^2 texture
    wire-bike_1.gif

Rider: 186 faces (330 tris) + 128^2 texture
    wire-rider_1.gif

PS: I wasn't sure if this was better as a completely new thread or just simple post in an existing one. Oh well...

PPS: To get yourself in the right mood, listen this 8-)

SPLIT THEM EDGEEEESSS!

» See the update no. 1 here «
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome biker, now is that faces or tris?
  • Michael Knubben
    Baddcog: considering you're on polycount, specifically in the lowpoly thread, care to make an educated guess?
  • Skibur
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    Would've been easier just to attempt to answer the question... :/

You'd think he'd be talking about tri's, but I think he's talking about poly's.

Awesome bike and biker, though!
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog & Skibur Thanks! And sorry if I was a bit unclear about that. By "faces" I obviously meant polys, but I added the triangle count aswell to the original post ^^
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Baddcog: considering you're on polycount, specifically in the lowpoly thread, care to make an educated guess?

Well, I was guess quads on his models. and I did try a rough quick count, but it's really hard with spinning models.
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 10
    That is pretty sick 9skulls, I vote for another thread, get this some exposure (good to see some work from you again).

Time permitting, I might just dust off the tools and get cracking myself on this, along with that lowpoly workshop challenge.
  • Michael Knubben
    Skibur: but this was more fun!
  • paradise.engineering
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 6
    9skulls you ROCK!
    kaptainkernals would be awesome!
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    @kaptainkernals Cool bro, do that! That'd increase the head count to... like, 2 already! :D

@paradise.engineering Thanks! Now start workin on your chopper already ;D
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 7
    Yea i'll have a shot at this 9skulls, although i might have to pull my arms off to stop myself making it on a 256 sheet :P
  • B8MaN
    Noooo, don't make me start another model... I need to finish something :P but that bike and biker dude are Just too cool, really love your style on that one good job! :)
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    @gilesruscoe Aaawwsssuuuuum! Can't wait to see what you come up with! We all live for the challenge right? Cutting down the texture size might do good for ya :D

@B8MaN OH YOU ARE SO GOING TO DROP WHAT EVER YOU ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON AND MOVE ON TO MAKE A KICKASS RIDE! >:)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, decided to have a go at a bike and rider.

Decided to do a hipster though. Quick non rig pose, lol.

scoot.jpg 1073 tris atm
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking... Well... Carry on. :-D

Your model seems solid, a'ight. Waiting for textures!
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 12
    BaddCog - Keep size/sides ratio in mind. Right now your wheels and head light both are 8 sided, though the lamp is much smaller.

MightyPea - considering we're on polycount, specifically in the lowpoly thread, the educated guess would be triangles. Which turned out to be incorrect.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 8
    A-a-a-awesome, 9skulls! I'd really love to get into Edge Splitters... If only I had time! *___*
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 14
    like how thats going Baddcog
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 14
    9skulls nice work. the scarf animation is a bit weird though, not so smooth on the eye. A standard wave motion would work better.
  • sketch81
    Fabulous model and idea 9skulls. I'll give it a go.
    Baddcog - looking sweet dude, keep it up!
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mr_Drayton, sketch81 Can't wait to see what you come up with! :D
    hawken wrote: »
    9skulls nice work. the scarf animation is a bit weird though, not so smooth on the eye. A standard wave motion would work better.
    Yeah it is weird right? I modelled the scarf to maintain a certain shape, so animating it to flow completelly smoothly would brake the shape and look probably just weird anyways. So instead, I animated it to look kinda stiff plastic or something to emphasize the "toon" aspect of my character. Which, in the end, looks just wrong.

I may revisit the model later anyway to make some additional animations and will probably redo the scarf while I'm at it.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet bike 9skulls. No bikes from me, just some WIP enviro work, trying to get the look down. All textures are between 32 and 128. The room totals I'm aiming for 1,500 tris for small rooms up to 3,000 for bigger ones.

eqtm1.png

The doorways in particular are total placeholder :)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    I just noticed 9skulls. Your hubs don't spin.
  • supersamm.
    Working on some new ideas for a game by my studio Raptus Games not decided on pixel style but leaning haha...

dragons.png

(this is a bit cheap) but if you like my style check out my indie studio Raptus Games and maybe buy my latest game DRAW: The Showdown on the app store!

give me some crit on those dragons, cheers
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    supersamm. Can you please post the wires aswell? I wanna see where all the tris went :P Oh and what is the size of those textures?
  • Ani
    @9skulls Nice bike!
    @Kurt Great work, liking the colours and simplicity of those environments.

Just a low poly bust from me, I rarely ever work with male heads. It's very odd around the jaw but that's mainly cause I was messing around with the mesh after uving and I suck at painting shadows :poly136:

118 tris
    6231708107_f05e1ee8cb_o.png
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Ani: awesome! That guy looks rad.
    hboybowen wrote: »
    what do you use for you textures creation? I remember you mentioning filter forge awhile back..was that used on this scene too?

Yep, I used Filter Forge for a lot of the textures on there.

I started off by blocking in the grey platform in Max using coloured quads to show where major pixels would go. Then I took a screencap (for other assets I sometimes RTT) to get a base and then recreated the texture in Filter Forge, adding details here and there.

Here's a quick visual explanation:

VvzzM.png

I've blocked in all my environments to get the colours I want and now I'm using about six different filters to block in the details in the same way :)
  • supersamm.
    the wires....
    wires.png

basically its for the animation planned for the character. Texture is just 128 with plenty of space for little addons.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @supersam, I like him, but you could kill 80 tris easy by welding the top verts of the spines (leave square from side view) and it wouldn't be noticeable at all really.

And how bendy will his arms/legs be?1 bone per segment?
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 8
    He probably made it that way so he could tile the texture all over the body.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, but at this point you gotta ask yourself: is it worth doubling the amount of triangles to use a 64² instead of a 128x64. And if this is going to be run on a device that uses 1000 tris as a normal amount, he'd be better off with a 128² or even a 256².
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    supersamm. wrote: »
    basically its for the animation planned for the character

those "spikes" on his back are not gonna come out well at all once you start animating the back and tail..since they are not part of the same mesh as the rest of the dragon, they're gonna be sliding all over the place once you start animating/(offsetting) the vertices which make up the body.

I had this problem with the wyvern I did. I quickly changed to having all my spikes as one with the rest of the mesh, as they were sliding around during subtle movement and straight up becoming floaters when rotating joints a lot.

I know you wanna keep it low poly and all and you did a good job with everything, but unless you know of a technique that I don't when it comes to stuff like that, I'd say you'd have to start cutting into edges :poly122:
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 8
    9skulls: Awesome model, presentation and post. I was entertained!

Ani: wonderful as usual. Reminiscent of something from Zelda.
  • supersamm.
    so with the dragon if i choose him for the character design he will have a bone in each segment of the body from there another bone will go to each spike the rig will be made to have his body seperate for funny animations.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    so with the dragon if i choose him for the character design he will have a bone in each segment of the body from there another bone will go to each spike the rig will be made to have his body seperate for funny animations.

But this would make an huge amout of bones, too many! o_o

Since you're on a mobile platform, you should use as less bones as possible to get the best performance.
    The most detailed character(s) in the game should not use more than 20 bones for the entire body (chest, limbs, head, etc)...
  • supersamm.
    im using unity according to the info on the website it recommends no more than 60 bones per character.
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    those "spikes" on his back are not gonna come out well at all once you start animating the back and tail..since they are not part of the same mesh as the rest of the dragon, they're gonna be sliding all over the place once you start animating/(offsetting) the vertices which make up the body.
    ^ this.

Unless you add extra loops for every single joint in the tail, the spikes are going to pump up'n'down in extreme positions. Though it would look even worse if you made the tip of the spikes (the top 2 vertices) use 50-50 weight of two bones instead of one.

IMHO even bigger problem is the tail itself, since it is not going to look too good without dem joint loops...

tb-render-1.giftb-render-2.gif

EDIT
    Oh god what have I done. They look like suffering worms. PLEASE LET THEM OUT OF THEIR PAIN :'(
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    im using unity according to the info on the website it recommends no more than 60 bones per character.

Recommendations are usually to stay around 30. And that's for laptop/desktops, not really for mobile devices. Around 15 bones for a mobile device is more reasonable. 3 per leg, 3 per arm, 4 in the tail, 3 for the spine and 1 as the head - something like that.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 7
    Ani wrote: »
    @9skulls Nice bike!
    @Kurt Great work, liking the colours and simplicity of those environments.

Just a low poly bust from me, I rarely ever work with male heads. It's very odd around the jaw but that's mainly cause I was messing around with the mesh after uving and I suck at painting shadows :poly136:

118 tris
    6231708107_f05e1ee8cb_o.png
    Whoa That's awesome!
    Could we see more wireframe angles and maybe the texture aswell? :)
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    RE number of bones advice- lets not give too specific advice when we don't know what the game setup is. If there's a bunch of characters in the game then it's one thing, but if it's a game like this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70830 with one central character close up, more bones seems perfectly feasible. I think Davision's facial rig here had quite a few bones, set up with dynamic physics to boot

9skulls: that actually doesn't look too bad to me! depending on the animation style/speed and camera angle it could work fine. I'd agree in close-up long-held poses it could look weird, but fast animation at mid-distance I imagine it would be perfectly servicable
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    9skulls wrote: »
    EDIT
    Oh god what have I done. They look like suffering worms. PLEASE LET THEM OUT OF THEIR PAIN :'(

wow! that's beautiful!
    excellent gif! :) I should of course have taken the time to do one (at work? ya..), but you did and it was awesome! :poly142:
    the effect wasn't AS horrible as I thought it would be, but it was still present. perhaps, at this level you'd get away with it..

awesomely informative gif! :D
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    the effect wasn't AS horrible as I thought it would be, but it was still present. perhaps, at this level you'd get away with it..

I think so too, because animal tails can't actually bend anywhere near this sharply in real life. Unless ofcourse you want to do funny stuff in the animation, like having the critter hold a soda bottle with its tail and drink it. :D!!
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 11
    Hey DemonPrincess - when are you going to get 3d portfolio?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    When I finish more models/textures that don't suck! :poly142:

Which seems pretty tricky, because every time I finish a new piece, I think the previous one sucks. :poly122:
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Nonsense. All 6 models in your hidden PF are totally appropriate for ingame use. Sure, the recent ones are a bit better, but that doesn't mean the older ones are bad.

BTW, you're living in Kuala Lumpur now?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm mostly fine with the meshes, but the texture I hate, honestly. :poly137:

Indeed, I'm living in Kuala Lumpur now! :)
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    What, updates you say?

So here is a small but image heavy update. Since no other bikes have yet emerged, I need to push updates for my own one :poly145:

biker_r1.jpg
    motorbike_r1.jpg
    texturesheet_r1.jpg

What I did there was that I remodelled biker's head, scarf and hat (just a bit) and gave him a weapon. I also remade his whole texture, which is more nicely packed now than what it was originally.

I also tweaked few vertices here and there for the bike and edited the texture just a bit. You can see that the texture is a bit "loose" but since it doesn't look too bad, I am going to leave it as it is --- for now.

Turntables and animations, WHERE ARE THEY!?

Here.

Riding - Isometric:
    v3_riding.gif

Ride 'n' Shoot 'em! - Isometric:
    v3_ridenshoot.gif

Who's your sheriff, huh? - Perspective:
    v3_gunstand2.gif
    (» see the other angle here «)

Oh yeah. Low res stuff like this make me go :polytwitch:
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    9Skulls, I'm saving EVERY image you provide of that biker... It's totally rad! :poly142:
  • Piesandbombs
    @9skulls;

I'm gonna make a biker to ride with, no worries. I've got some time off work for about 4 days, and the time I'm not spending out partying will go towards that.