Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

What should I keep in mind when writing Maya scripts?

Hi guys, I'm a computer science student, and in my python class, we get to pick a project that we have to work on the entire semester. I have some experience with Maya, I made the decision to build Python scripts for it. However, I have never scripted in it before. I'm hoping you guys can offer me some ideas for my project. I appreciate it a lot.

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

notable things to consider:

python in maya is a wrapper around mel

pymel is slower but use it anyway cos the standard one is basically a warcrime cos you're basically throwing strings round everywhere

iterating over large sets of maya objects is incredibly slow - use openmaya libraries for any situation that involves more than a handful of things

python 3 is in maya 2022 but it'll be another 5 years before the wider industry actually moves their toolchains over

As for what to make .. it's hard to say what would be meaty enough for a semester.

Personally I'd like to see an external file (fbx/mb etc) instancing system with a browser that didn't go anywhere near maya's reference stuff

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah I'd second that, imo seems like a solid 4mth project which should accrue a fair amount of feasible workload toward whatever grade you've envisioned attaining.